Sponsored by:

Hill Hold feature

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 08:50 PM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

BJK is quite correct above. His sequence of keeping it in neutral but depressing the clutch and the brake avoids the hill hold but takes a different level of coordination. Taking my foot off the brake and simultaneously slipping it into gear and then hitting the throttle and popping the clutch should work but may be too much to expect of this 71 year old. I will try it in the morning.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:54 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,604 Likes on 2,343 Posts

I was taught not to keep the clutch in while on a hill; apparently something to do with increased wear on the mechanism...

select neutral

coast to a stop

hold on foot break

when ready to move off, depess clutch, select gear, bring clutch up to just before the biting point

release brake and move foot to accelerator

release clutch at the same time as depressing accelerator

voila - a hill start
Old 08-24-2015, 09:13 PM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Larry-

That is the way I have driven a MT vehicle since I was sixteen. However, as you recognize from your new GTS, as soon as you put it in gear and remove your foot from the brake and move it toward the accelerator, it is in hill hold before your foot hits the accelerator.
Old 08-24-2015, 11:40 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,869 Likes on 1,510 Posts

Originally Posted by freeman
Needmoregarage-

You got it! "...... sometimes it's holds a bit too much for my liking.....".

It engages the emergency brake on a hill. It takes more RPM when the clutch is popped to override and disengage the emergency brake. Gives you a little snap in the neck and the PSE roars. It is sometimes embarrassing. After 5 MT Porsches dating back to 1974, I know how to operate a clutch and accelerator on a hill without the car sliding back. Call me old school.
Visitor question - does it engage the emergency brake on a 991? In my 997 it engaged the foot brake. Never worried me BTW, although I did stall it a couple of times on restart. Liked the way it worked in reverse too on my short but reasonably steep driveway.
Old 08-25-2015, 12:20 AM
BJK
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Well this explains it. Perfect! Now I don't have to reread the manual.

I have auto start turned off plus I'm always in sport plus mode.

I never have the clutch to the floor held while also holding the break.

If I'm stopped I am off the clutch and in neutral. When I'm ready to go I press the clutch put in first and off I go.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
To clarify, I don't think the auto start/stop economy feature has anything to do with hill hold. What I was trying to say was that if you do not have the clutch depressed, but the car is stopped on a hill with your foot on the brake and in gear, (remove variable #(1) from my list but keep the other three), the car will stall! But push the clutch in and it automatically restarts.

Hill hold should work just the same with auto start/stop turned off as it does with it on.
Old 08-25-2015, 01:09 AM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Grunty
I would have loved to have this when i lived in sf.
Nothing like the smell of my improperly surfaced clutch spinning futilely on california street at a red light.
Ah to be young again.
Even worse was driving three different Sciroccos on those same steep SF hills 35 + yrs ago ....front wheel drive car , add in some foggy streets with polished cable car tracks undeneath you ....in stop and go traffic moving inches at a time and there was alternating slipping clutch smell or unloaded madly spinning front tires desperately clawing for traction
Old 08-25-2015, 01:14 AM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 450 Likes on 237 Posts

Curiously, one of the worst hills in Stuttgart is on the exit from the Porsche Museum Parking Garage. At the top of the steep incline you have to stop and put your ticket in the machine to raise the gate and exit. That's where I first encountered Hill Hold. Stalled it out twice. Realized that the secret to Hill Hold is to release the clutch at a slower than normal pace. Releasing it like normal doesn't allow it to release. Now I enjoy the feature.
Old 08-25-2015, 06:54 PM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Pavegeno928 has it quite correct:

I went out and did just what he recommended. Releasing the clutch gently on an incline releases the Hill Hold inconspiculously.

Thank you all!
Old 08-26-2015, 02:50 AM
Scottish Pete
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Studebaker had a "hill-holder"
Old 08-26-2015, 10:35 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 321 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Pavegeno928
Curiously, one of the worst hills in Stuttgart is on the exit from the Porsche Museum Parking Garage. At the top of the steep incline you have to stop and put your ticket in the machine to raise the gate and exit. That's where I first encountered Hill Hold. Stalled it out twice. Realized that the secret to Hill Hold is to release the clutch at a slower than normal pace. Releasing it like normal doesn't allow it to release. Now I enjoy the feature.
An actual knowledgeable and informative response to the OP question!
The following users liked this post:
djo715 (05-02-2021)
Old 11-15-2015, 02:41 PM
Key Left
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Scottish Pete
Studebaker had a "hill-holder"
So did a 1941 Cadillac, it was called "no-roll".

Quick Reply: Hill Hold feature