Hill Hold feature

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 05:53 PM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Hill Hold feature

Is there any way to disable the hill hold feature in the MT GTS?
Old 08-24-2015, 05:54 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,632 Likes on 2,358 Posts

not that I am aware of.
Old 08-24-2015, 05:58 PM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I would have loved to have this when i lived in sf.
Nothing like the smell of my improperly surfaced clutch spinning futilely on california street at a red light.
Ah to be young again.
Old 08-24-2015, 05:59 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,632 Likes on 2,358 Posts

Originally Posted by Grunty
I would have loved to have this when i lived in sf.
Nothing like the smell of my improperly surfaced clutch spinning futilely on california street at a red light.
Ah to be young again.
+1
Old 08-24-2015, 06:01 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,553 Likes on 662 Posts

Curious - why do you wish to disable?

I have it in my C-R and find it comes in handy at times....although sometimes it's holds a bit too much for my liking.

It's also in our Panamera GTS. You definitely have to goose the throttle to get the beast moving off the hill hold feature. I don't see the value in a PDK. My foot on the brake is the hill hold.
Old 08-24-2015, 07:04 PM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Needmoregarage-

You got it! "...... sometimes it's holds a bit too much for my liking.....".

It engages the emergency brake on a hill. It takes more RPM when the clutch is popped to override and disengage the emergency brake. Gives you a little snap in the neck and the PSE roars. It is sometimes embarrassing. After 5 MT Porsches dating back to 1974, I know how to operate a clutch and accelerator on a hill without the car sliding back. Call me old school.
Old 08-24-2015, 07:16 PM
mathfuzzy
Rennlist Member

Received 400 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by freeman
Needmoregarage-

You got it! "...... sometimes it's holds a bit too much for my liking.....".

It engages the emergency brake on a hill. It takes more RPM when the clutch is popped to override and disengage the emergency brake. Gives you a little snap in the neck and the PSE roars. It is sometimes embarrassing. After 5 MT Porsches dating back to 1974, I know how to operate a clutch and accelerator on a hill without the car sliding back. Call me old school.
Freeman - FWIW, I hated it when I first found out my 997.2 had it. Incidentally, it was on a steep incline, leaving a parking garage in SF and I had no idea what it was or that my car had it. After I stalled twice, I left some rubber on the ramp and made an inelegant exit. After I figured out what it was, I was < happy that I couldn't disable it. And then I got used to it and made friends with it. My BMW has it too. Now when I drive my 993 I have to remind myself that the car will roll backwards.

The point is that I eventually learned how it felt and became smooth with it and then viewed it as a feature.
Old 08-24-2015, 07:40 PM
onedae
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 50 Posts

No way to turn it off. I hate it too! After 35 years of driving manual shift Porsches I think I know how to move forward on a hill.
Just another example of Porsche moving away from the beautiful simplicity of the earlier 911's.
Old 08-24-2015, 07:43 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

I'd need to re-read the manual again. But mine does not seem to engage hill hold very often. When it does, it works great. There are times that I think hill hold will kick in, but it doesn't. I know there is a very specific sequence to have hill hold become active. Maybe I'm not following that sequence, and that's the "work around".
Old 08-24-2015, 07:52 PM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

It requires a 5% grade to engage
Old 08-24-2015, 08:22 PM
BJK
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

In my experience, the hill hold function only engages when (1) the clutch pedal is down, (2) transmission in gear, (3) car is stopped with foot on the brake, and (4) car is on an incline. Take out any one of those from the equation avoids hill hold.

So if you come to a stop on a hill and want to avoid hill hold, keep the car in neutral until you take your foot off the brake. You will probably roll back a little depending on the incline, but you will get around hill hold.

Of course, if you only remove (1) from the equation, you run into a different problem that will engage the auto-start function, but hill hold will be off until all 4 conditions are present.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:34 PM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

...but when you take your foot off the brake to activate the throttle, hill hold is engaged and you then must attack the throttle to disengage it.....
Old 08-24-2015, 08:35 PM
pfan
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 47 Posts

If I recall correctly, you reside in Florida.

You must have been on a road trip to find a hill that causes hill hold to engage.

While real men despise it, with a bit of practice it becomes a very useful feature.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:38 PM
BJK
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by freeman
...but when you take your foot off the brake to activate the throttle, hill hold is engaged and you then must attack the throttle to disengage it.....
Not unless the car is in gear while your foot is on the brake. Try it - put the transmission in neutral as you are coming to a stop. Then come to a full stop on the hill with just the brake down. Push the clutch in, take your foot fully off the brake, put it into first, pull up the clutch while you hit the gas.

Takes a little more coordination, but no hill hold.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:38 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Originally Posted by BJK
In my experience, the hill hold function only engages when (1) the clutch pedal is down, (2) transmission in gear, (3) car is stopped with foot on the brake, and (4) car is on an incline. Take out any one of those from the equation avoids hill hold. So if you come to a stop on a hill and want to avoid hill hold, keep the car in neutral until you take your foot off the brake. You will probably roll back a little depending on the incline, but you will get around hill hold. Of course, if you only remove (1) from the equation, you run into a different problem that will engage the auto-start function, but hill hold will be off until all 4 conditions are present.
Well this explains it. Perfect! Now I don't have to reread the manual.

I have auto start turned off plus I'm always in sport plus mode.

I never have the clutch to the floor held while also holding the break.

If I'm stopped I am off the clutch and in neutral. When I'm ready to go I press the clutch put in first and off I go.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist

Quick Reply: Hill Hold feature