Sponsored by:

Window Tint

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 11:19 PM
Gasol1
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JustBud
Another old guy looking for very light tint. I am thinking Crystalline 70. Any of you out there with this particular tint? (Pictures would be greatly appreciated) I want it as light as possible with the best heat blocking/UV protection I can get. Also any shop recommendations in Orange County, California? (preferably Irvine/Tustin/Orange area)

Can you post some pictures? I wouldn't mind going Crystalline 90 either.
For you guys who have chosen a lighter tint, did you have some visual oddities through the rear window? I had spectra photo sync on my prior car and the heating elements created visible lines at night. The headlights of cars behind me looked hazy. I'd like to avoid that. The factory glass looks slightly tinted to me too...debating whether to just stick with it.
Old 04-22-2017, 01:59 AM
Zcobra1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The problem for me is the darker tints make it hard to see anything
at night, back window and side mirrors....and getting older now and
diminished night vision I will be going to 45-50 tints from now on.

Even the 35 Lummar side windows on my Audi make it hard to see out
of the side mirrors. No doubt the dark tints look good to passerbys and when
you walk up to the car, but you got to drive it and see out of it....
Old 04-22-2017, 04:32 AM
Ed911.2
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Living in the UK, where it’s dark and damp for a lot of the time, the whole window tinting thing seems a bit odd. I test drove a 5-series recently that had that option and being a rare bright day, I needed my sunglasses to see out of the front (max 75% tint, by law) which made visibility out of the side and rear almost nil. Might as well have been driving a van.

I think if I was in California, I’d change my mind but here in Merry England deep tinting has a kind of drug dealer / pimp / desperate teenager vibe, along with motorbike-style exhausts and tyres rubbing the wheel arches...
Old 04-22-2017, 01:21 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,628 Posts

To you guys saying you don't "get" the dark tint thing....you obviously haven't lived in the South. I grew up in the NYC area, never saw much need for tint. Now that I am in TX...I get it. The sun is so strong and bright, and the reflections of the concrete are so harsh, it's totally mandatory. My new GTI came with dealer installed 30% tint and I had to call back and ask if it was really 30%. And this was in February. And I have very good, polarized sunglasses.

If you've never lived in a climate like this, you just won't understand.
The following users liked this post:
Master Deep (07-29-2020)
Old 04-22-2017, 02:33 PM
slingshot60
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
To you guys saying you don't "get" the dark tint thing....you obviously haven't lived in the South. I grew up in the NYC area, never saw much need for tint. Now that I am in TX...I get it. The sun is so strong and bright, and the reflections of the concrete are so harsh, it's totally mandatory. My new GTI came with dealer installed 30% tint and I had to call back and ask if it was really 30%. And this was in February. And I have very good, polarized sunglasses.

If you've never lived in a climate like this, you just won't understand.
This. I did my front side windows in 25% (max legal) and my rear quarter and back glass in 5%. Just for good measure I did the sunroof in 5% also. Makes the car much more pleasant to drive in the spring/summer/fall months.
Old 04-22-2017, 02:48 PM
masti99
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 87 Posts

New York state changed the laws for tinting, now it is 70%. Found out the hard way this morning, as my car had 40% Crystalline and would fail state inspection. So had to remove the tint and got inspection passed.

SUV tints from manufacture are still good on the back windows and trunk window.

Later found out that one can get "doctor's note" for the darker tint
Old 04-22-2017, 06:45 PM
RONGLOS
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Living in Arizona, thank god not my entire life, I'm thinking about getting my eyeballs tinted.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:33 PM
Baymar
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I am exactly opposite - grew up in Texas and now live in NYC - wouldn't have a car without tinting, but understand I am born that way! Too nice to be tucked in without anyone knowing who you are....

I have 20% on the sides and 10% on the back window - wouldn't have it different, but I am southern....
Old 05-23-2017, 06:39 AM
Premier
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 92 Likes on 51 Posts

Here is Spectra PhotoSync 75 on the windshield and 65 on the sides windows. This film rejects more heat than conventional tint at 5%. Rejects up to 98% of Infrared Radiation (IR) compared to most dyed films at 50% and 80% for ceramic tints.
Attached Images    
Spectra PhotoSync IRD - Highest heat blocking window film in industry
Authorized Modesta and Nanolex Dealer

Checkout our Youtube Channel!
Premier's Youtube

B: 510-623-1308
42630 Christy St, Fremont, CA 94538
sales@premiermobilegroup.com
http://www.facebook.com/premierprotectivefilms

Old 05-23-2017, 06:45 AM
Premier
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 92 Likes on 51 Posts

Here is a video showing how well PhotoSync in much lighters shades compare to limo tint

Quick Reply: Window Tint