Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rattle and .....hummmmmm! 991gts 4 behind the wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 11:08 AM
Nosunroof
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattle and .....hummmmmm! 991gts 4 behind the wheel?

So, who out there is experiencing what I am?
At low speed on a bumpy road (thanks illinois Dot!), rattle, creek, that is hard to pin point from where it is coming, but in front of driver steering wheel, maybe from behind console, possibly at door hinge area,...slight noise like something metallic or plastic loose, just annoying as ****. By the way, car is brand new 991 gts4. Everything else is tight except this.
Plan on obviously taking it to dealer, just curious if anyone experienced something similar and is a known issue or and has good way of pinpointing. Thanks
Old 08-15-2015, 11:52 AM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Rattle and .....hummmmmm! 991gts 4 behind the wheel?

After a couple years my 997 Cab developed a dash rattle. The local dealer made a half baked effort to identify it but failed. I didn't think it was any big deal as I still had a couple years of warranty. Fast forward to now, 3 months left on warranty. I asked the local dealer to take care of it, once and for all. Their reply: oh, sorry, we can't do that for you. The squeak and rattle/ body imperfection warranty is only for 12 months! You're SOL!

Moral: ride these people hard now, while it's new. I think the 12 mo body imperfection concept is ridiculous, if nothing else from a customer service standpoint, but they couldn't care less about us once the sale is over.
Old 08-15-2015, 11:55 AM
woodrow
Instructor

MY NEW 991 GTS HAD A RATTLE IT WAS IN AT THE TOP OF THE STEERING COLUME SOUNDED LIKE BEHIND THE GAUGES I TAPPED KINDA HARD ON THE TOP OF COLUME AND ITS GONE FOR NOW... I HATE RATTLES THE CAR HAS PDCC AND SPASM SO I UNDER STAND ITS A LITTLE STIFF SUSPENDED ... GOOD LUCK JOHN FROM NEVADA
Old 08-15-2015, 12:21 PM
az911s
Intermediate

Default Source may be similar ...

Don't know if this helps or not - different model (2015 Cayenne diesel) and all - but EXACT same rattle from delivery 7 weeks ago. Took it in yesterday and they found broken ignition control module mount as the cause. Replacement part coming in next week. (And my 2016 Carmine C2 GTS 7MT five weeks from now!!)

Hope this helps. Good luck.
Old 08-15-2015, 12:37 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

I believe there was a bulletin on this specific "symptom." Dealer would be your best bet to identify and hopefully resolve. I know on my '14 4S there was a bulletin on a rattle from the front axle.... This is the title of the Work Manual: "Eliminating noise symptoms - Replacing all-wheel drive control unit (Rattling noise from around the front axle/SY2313)"

I think if you search this and the "other" forum someone else experienced similar and maybe there is something helpful there.

Good Luck!
Old 08-15-2015, 06:06 PM
mtony
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I had a rattle coming from what seemed to be behind the instrument panel or base of the A-pillar. Ended up being the top strut mount located in the frunk. They tightened the shock nut on the top mount and it went away. Came back a week later and I sprayed some Formula 303 protectant on the rubber part of the mount and it's been quiet for over a month now.
Old 09-14-2015, 03:09 AM
woodrow
Instructor

Default 991 gts

Originally Posted by Nosunroof
So, who out there is experiencing what I am?
At low speed on a bumpy road (thanks illinois Dot!), rattle, creek, that is hard to pin point from where it is coming, but in front of driver steering wheel, maybe from behind console, possibly at door hinge area,...slight noise like something metallic or plastic loose, just annoying as ****. By the way, car is brand new 991 gts4. Everything else is tight except this.
Plan on obviously taking it to dealer, just curious if anyone experienced something similar and is a known issue or and has good way of pinpointing. Thanks
mine developed a rattle (only on crap roads) that i thought was behind the instrument cluster i gently pounded (with closed fist) on top of the plastic housing on steering colum and it's gone, the sunroof rattles on the same crappy road a little , will take to dealer to fix but i have to re produce the issue for service advisor NO PROBLEM OTHERWISE I LOVE THE CAR ITS BAD AZZ !
Old 09-14-2015, 11:29 AM
blschaefer1
Instructor

This is not related to your specific issue, but my '14 C2S had a few rattles of indescrete locations that became more pronounced on rough roads.

I recently bought a second set of wheels and mounted Michelin Pilot Super Sports. The car is virtually rattle free now, even on the same rough roads. I believe the P Zeros create a resonance that causes the many rattles.
Old 09-14-2015, 03:45 PM
LSs1Power
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

For owners who had 997 and 991, which one felt better put together?

I'm hearing a lot about rattles with the 991 that wasn't there with the 997 so I'm just wondering if there is some truth to that.

Quick Reply: Rattle and .....hummmmmm! 991gts 4 behind the wheel?