Sponsored by:

Opinion(s) needed, C2 GTS vs. C4 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 07:13 PM
JPKelz
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Opinion(s) needed, C2 GTS vs. C4 GTS

Hi list, I would like your opinion on two available ex demo cars, one being a C2 GTS & the other a C4 GTS. I wanted the C4 GTS because this will be my daily driver, I live in the North East of Scotland & therefore generally all-wheel drive cars fare better with the winter weather here. The dilemma I have is that I really wanted Sapphire Blue Metallic (which the C2 GTS is) whereas the C4 GTS is Rhodium Silver Metallic (still nice but not my first choice).

The opinion(s) I need are whether the all-wheel drive of the C4 GTS gives significant benefit in adverse weather but does it reduce driving pleasure when road conditions are good?

The C4 GTS has a better spec (see below), the C2 GTS is a 2015(UK15reg) with 3,600 miles whereas the C4GTS is a 2015(UK64reg) with 7,100 miles. The C4 GTS is very competitively priced resulting in very similar advertised prices.

C2 GTS Specification
PDK
GTS package in silver
BOSE® Surround Sound System
Carbon door sill guards, illuminated
Centre console trim in carbon
Cruise control
Floor mats
Heated seats
Online Services
Preparation for mobile phone
Privacy glass (rear side windows and rear window)
Reversing camera incl. ParkAssist front and rear
Smoking package

C4 GTS Specification
PDK
GTS package in red
Adaptive cruise control incl. Porsche Active Safe (PAS)
Aluminium Look fuel cap
Automatically dimming interior and exterior mirrors with integrated rain sensor
BOSE® Surround Sound System
Carbon door sill guards, illuminated
Centre console trim in carbon
Electric folding exterior mirrors
Electric glass slide/tilt sunroof
Floor mats
Full LED headlights incl. Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS +)
Heated seats
Leather backrest, sports seat Plus
Light design package
Online Services
Power steering plus
Rear wiper
Reversing camera incl. ParkAssist front and rear
Telephone module
Voice control

Photos of the actual vehicles are attached.

Thanks,
Attached Images   
Old 08-10-2015, 07:35 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 332 Likes on 205 Posts

Sapphire Blue all the way and twice on Tuesdays.
Old 08-10-2015, 07:43 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Vise
+1 ... unless of course you plan on either haulin sheep or wheechin' around the cobblestoned streets of Aberdeen or Inverness in the snow I think the
2 GTS is the one for you... get some white tape and you can put a St Andrews Cross on the roof too!
Old 08-10-2015, 07:45 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

mind you the rain sensor and rear windscreen wiper might come in useful ... as would the sunroof, but that silver car has a lot more 'bling' in my opinion ...
Old 08-10-2015, 07:49 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

this might help...

Old 08-10-2015, 08:23 PM
john45in
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

The C4 GTS. If your plan is to use the car as a DD, the 4 is more useful IMO.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:34 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 332 Likes on 205 Posts

Counterpoint, I drive a C2 GTS year round in Toronto (Canada brr!) including in the winter. IMO no reason or need for the 4 if you have good winter tires and functioning matter between your ears.
Old 08-11-2015, 07:21 PM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I wanted a 4 GTS based on that track battle and a couple of reviews, but after driving both the 2 and the 4 on road and track quite a lot I ended up getting the 2. It just felt more nimble, alive and entertaining to drive at all speeds. The 4 felt great when pushing on on the road (though when really really pushing on on the track it did understeer more than the 2), but overall for every day I felt the 2 to be the more entertaining car. I was out in my GTS in the wet this evening and there was plenty, plenty grip. That said, I'm sure I could have cornered even more quickly in the 4 if it weren't for visibility, traffic and the law.

Would advise trying both drivetrains, even if not in the cars you're looking at, then in the dealer's Ss or base Carreras. If they know you're a serious buyer it shouldn't be a problem. One of them might just 'speak' to you more than the other, and I would say from some experience that unless your right foot is really clumsy, an RWD 991 in the wet is totally fine.

Let us know what you decide!
Old 08-11-2015, 07:34 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No need for a 4 even in snowy climates if you mount a proper set of winter tires on and drive reasonably given the weather conditions.
Old 08-11-2015, 07:59 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MagicRat
I wanted a 4 GTS based on that track battle and a couple of reviews, but after driving both the 2 and the 4 on road and track quite a lot I ended up getting the 2. It just felt more nimble, alive and entertaining to drive at all speeds. The 4 felt great when pushing on on the road (though when really really pushing on on the track it did understeer more than the 2), but overall for every day I felt the 2 to be the more entertaining car. I was out in my GTS in the wet this evening and there was plenty, plenty grip. That said, I'm sure I could have cornered even more quickly in the 4 if it weren't for visibility, traffic and the law.

Would advise trying both drivetrains, even if not in the cars you're looking at, then in the dealer's Ss or base Carreras. If they know you're a serious buyer it shouldn't be a problem. One of them might just 'speak' to you more than the other, and I would say from some experience that unless your right foot is really clumsy, an RWD 991 in the wet is totally fine.

Let us know what you decide!
+1
Old 08-11-2015, 08:06 PM
fjpdds
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 14 Posts

C4
Old 08-11-2015, 08:10 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Counterpoint, I drive a C2 GTS year round in Toronto (Canada brr!) including in the winter. IMO no reason or need for the 4 if you have good winter tires and functioning matter between your ears.
Scotland's weather hardly ever/never approaches that of Toronto - although our weather is probably more horizontal than yours is; so I think that in order to uphold the honor of Scotland, my compatriot should get the the
SBM GTS C2 ... job done.
Old 08-12-2015, 02:27 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,091 Likes on 386 Posts

Being a 4S owner, I will obviously recommend a 4S…..but not necessarily because it's a bit safer in bad weather but because they steer better, and IMHO are, in the majority of circumstances, quicker.

The drive thru the front axle actually helps the steering feel compared to a 2S (watch the review by EVO below) and compared to a friend' s 2S I often around drive in convoy with, I can gas the car out of corners so much earlier than him. If he gases the 2S hard at the same point, the tail goes. The 4S doesn't.

Old 08-12-2015, 03:42 PM
993Mpls
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

By the silver C4 and budget for a blue wrap?
Old 08-12-2015, 06:17 PM
LandShark
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

2nd (or am I 3rd?) that!

I've told, a C2 with proper winter tires should be fine for wintry weather conditions. I have a set of factory winter setup and I could get back to you in a few months. From what most people said, you'll be running into ground clearance problem way before you'll lose the grip.

Quick Reply: Opinion(s) needed, C2 GTS vs. C4 GTS