Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are most people using /recommending Xpel or other film for a new car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 05:22 PM
mtony
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I use Chemical Guys Clear Seal Gloss Enhancer & Protectant on my clear bra every few washes. I just mist it on to a microfiber cloth and go over the film and then buff it off with a dry MF cloth. The SunTek film still looks like new after three years and 16K miles or so.
http://www.chemicalguys.com/Clear_Se...wac_767_16.htm
Old 05-28-2016, 06:25 PM
I am the Walrus
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

I bought my 2016 AMG GT S brand new, expel wrapped, one week later some ******* threw a hard boiled egg sans shell (from his sack lunch?) as I was doing 80km/hr on the highway but the opposite direction was in gridlock, (or else from an overpass it happened really quickly so I'm still unsure, it was a hard impact, it felt like I hit a bird) I immediately (30 mins) took it to a detailer as there was a huge smear of hard egg yolk) and once he detailed it...it left marks on the expel, which is how hard the egg hit my car, left front quarter panel.
So it paid for itself within 7 days :-)
Old 05-28-2016, 08:09 PM
n8kruger
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Same thing here. I put a full front ppf on last summer. Last week on I95 coming home from work a shoe sized chunk of truck tire retread got kicked up by a vehicle ahead of me. It hit the hood at pretty hard at ~80 mph but the ppf saved the paint.
Old 06-30-2016, 06:30 PM
dcsa03996
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Headlights should be removed. Do not let an installer touch your car that is not listed in expels site with multiple product line stars.

I had a awful experience with the first installer. Insist on looking at a car they've done. If you're near Charlotte, RUN from Parks Detailing.
The "line stars" are actually cars that do not indicate anything but how many patterns have been cut on a plotter. There are installers that bulk or custom install most parts on installations.

Last edited by dcsa03996; 06-30-2016 at 06:31 PM. Reason: dont' want to post
Old 06-30-2016, 06:39 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by dcsa03996
The "line stars" are actually cars that do not indicate anything but how many patterns have been cut on a plotter. There are installers that bulk or custom install most parts on installations.
You may be right... either way it important to shop the installer and not the product. If you buy through an installer then the product company (at least Xpel, they will contact the installer on your behalf but ultimately it's the installer's call) relies on the dealer for any warranty related resolution - even if the installer was sub par.

Last edited by R_Rated; 06-30-2016 at 07:14 PM.
Old 07-01-2016, 02:14 PM
dcsa03996
Rennlist Member

You may be right... either way it important to shop the installer and not the product. If you buy through an installer then the product company (at least Xpel, they will contact the installer on your behalf but ultimately it's the installer's call) relies on the dealer for any warranty related resolution - even if the installer was sub par.
Same goes for a Porsche dealer, you contact PCNA with a problem, they get both sides and help a resolution but it is up to the business owner in most cases. That way with most products.
Old 07-02-2016, 07:40 PM
popspin
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xpel here and am I ever glad I had it installed!

While I live in Westchester county north of NYC, I used Detaling Dynamics in Long Island.
While in a car being driven home from the airport my 24 year old son called to report some "bad news". While he was driving the car to a business meeting he told me an errant hub cap struck the front of the car; the front fender, he said.
Since I try to keep the car in mint condition I was upset to say the least. When I arrived home I discovered my car nut son doesn't know the difference between a fender and a bumper! But there were scratches and marks all around the lower driver side front corner of the bumper. Yes, Expel saved the day; all signs of the damage from the hubcap were gone in a matter of minutes using the proper scratch removers, starting with the least abrasive one. What looked like a ugly mess is now gone!!
I am sure the same results would be obtained with SunTek. Either way, as mentioned previously, buy the best installer of either product you can find. When and if something happens you will be glad you did!
popspin
Old 07-02-2016, 09:03 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by dcsa03996
Same goes for a Porsche dealer, you contact PCNA with a problem, they get both sides and help a resolution but it is up to the business owner in most cases. That way with most products.
Agreed. Whoever you did the transaction with is ultimately responsible and the manufacturer is merely an escalation point. In this case the installer is imature and you in both business and the Xpel line.

His biggest concern is social media bashing and my biggest rub is having to go to small claims for a refund... It's worse to screw someone than to mess up an install. Or partially in this case, not know when the film is bad.

To expand on OP topic. Xpel is the thickest and has the best stated warranty( again though, really at the installers discretion) and the best glue but is also the hardest to install due to adhesive and thhickness. This thickness offers better protection and healing but also comes with the most texture. Suntek and 3M will be smoother but are both thinner. So the trade off in orange peel is protrction. A good installer can do Xpel to where you don't know it's there without knowing what to look for but it requires more experience.
Old 07-03-2016, 12:15 PM
dcsa03996
Rennlist Member

Agreed. Whoever you did the transaction with is ultimately responsible and the manufacturer is merely an escalation point. In this case the installer is imature and you in both business and the Xpel line. His biggest concern is social media bashing and my biggest rub is having to go to small claims for a refund... It's worse to screw someone than to mess up an install. Or partially in this case, not know when the film is bad. To expand on OP topic. Xpel is the thickest and has the best stated warranty( again though, really at the installers discretion) and the best glue but is also the hardest to install due to adhesive and thhickness. This thickness offers better protection and healing but also comes with the most texture. Suntek and 3M will be smoother but are both thinner. So the trade off in orange peel is protrction. A good installer can do Xpel to where you don't know it's there without knowing what to look for but it requires more experience.
Not sure i follow the first paragraph, the last sentence, but you are on the right path with the majority of the rest.
It sucks for both parties when situations become difficult to resolve and settle. Everyone feels their side to be the one that is right and things get ugly before they improve. Usually it ends up at a point where everyone is "satisfied" with the agreement and both parties can move forward. I always wish the best for both.

Quick Reply: Are most people using /recommending Xpel or other film for a new car?