Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are most people using /recommending Xpel or other film for a new car?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 10:42 AM
ChoyV
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Scheduled to have a full front using either Suntek or Xpel. My installer prefers Suntek but I can choose Xpel if I want to. No price difference. Make sure they tuck the edges inside. That means taking the head lamps off etc....
Old 08-11-2015, 11:05 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,358 Posts

I'm not a film guy...had it on my Aston Martin and didn't care for it (first car I ever had with film). I'm on Porsche # 5 and can live with a minor rock chip or road blast, its just part of the car. If it becomes severe, then a repaint is in order - but I've never had one that has been that bad. I also don't drive my better cars in the winter where most the stuff is thrown up on the bodywork, however.
Old 08-11-2015, 06:10 PM
G8tor
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Recently (8 weeks ago) had the front bumper, hood, front fenders and mirrors done with Expel ultimate.
A friend recently asked when was I going to get it coated.
Old 08-12-2015, 09:05 PM
mi650
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This thread is relevant to my interests.
Old 08-14-2015, 03:20 PM
hsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I think i'm getting Xpel Ultimate on my GTS. So many options for clear film.
Old 08-14-2015, 04:16 PM
Sayyaaf
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Tried 3M in the past (Not the pro series) and it was terrible. All yellowing after 1 year and hazzy.

This time I went with Xpel ultimate full car wrap with ceramic coating on top.
Old 08-14-2015, 11:39 PM
Jhoffmann
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the older 3M on the 911 and it is definitely yellowing. I had Suntek installed on the 928 and am much happier - you can't even tell its on there. I will be doing Suntek on the 991 when it arrives.
Old 08-15-2015, 01:10 AM
Visceral
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 112 Posts

Did Xpel Ultimate on the whole car.

Condomized it.

I'm much less uptight about scratching the paint. Downside is that paste/liquid wax collects wherever theres an edge. I use Meg's Ultimate Spray Wax.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:46 AM
bandi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Had mine done with Xpel U last month--bumper, hood, front fenders and mirrors--and so far it looks great. Worry is whether yellowing will be really obvious on a white car in a few years. Anybody ever peel these films off or is it necessary for the pros to do it? BTW they told me to use this Maguire's wash/wax--got some at Walmart.

http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotiv...mate-wash-wax/
Old 08-15-2015, 11:46 AM
sandbar
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Are most people using /recommending Xpel or other film for a new car?

Originally Posted by drcollie
I'm not a film guy...had it on my Aston Martin and didn't care for it (first car I ever had with film). I'm on Porsche # 5 and can live with a minor rock chip or road blast, its just part of the car. If it becomes severe, then a repaint is in order - but I've never had one that has been that bad. I also don't drive my better cars in the winter where most the stuff is thrown up on the bodywork, however.
I feel exactly the same way. I keep a fresh batch of doctor color chip on hand on all my cars and touch them up once a quarter.

I've learned that even though I tell myself I'll keep this car forever (said that for my last six cars), I won't. Therefore a quarterly touch up does the trick and will save thousands. Worst case, one small panel respray after a few years, as long as you stay on top on the touch ups.

Steve
Old 08-15-2015, 11:46 AM
blschaefer1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bandi
Had mine done with Xpel U last month--bumper, hood, front fenders and mirrors--and so far it looks great. Worry is whether yellowing will be really obvious on a white car in a few years. Anybody ever peel these films off or is it necessary for the pros to do it? BTW they told me to use this Maguire's wash/wax--got some at Walmart.

Link does not work (goes to a homepage), but if you are referring to Meguiars Ulimate Wash and Wax Anwhere product I highly endorse it. It's a dry wash / instant detailer that has some cleaning agents. I have not wet washed my car since discovering this product.
Old 08-15-2015, 01:28 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,781 Likes on 4,774 Posts

Originally Posted by bandi

Have the pros do it.

And, no matter what film you use or how beat up it is, you should always plan on changing the film after 5 years.

Unless of course your car is a garage queen that only leaves her palace to meet other garage queens for coffee on Sunday mornings. But then if that was the case why bother clearbra'ing in the first place.
Old 08-15-2015, 05:53 PM
thomnellie
Racer

I don't have it. Seen too many cars with it where it looks too obvious, with an unevenness that is unattractive.
Old 08-15-2015, 07:42 PM
billyii
Track Day

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
Sometime in the future, I have a new GTS coming and am wondering about using one of these products. I have never used them or thought it necessary before, trying to quick detail the bugs etc off after every few drives. Do you guys think it is worth the fairly significant cost and if so what brand?
Jim
Jim,

After purchasing my 991, I was in the same quandry as you-film or no film? My mind was made up after I went to the back of the dealership and looked at some older cars with protective film that were parked awaiting service.

I quickly decided that the film, or at least the brands I looked at, were a total waste of money and looked terrible after a few years. I did not put protective film on my present or past two Porsches and the paint held up well without it.

You might want to ask this question in a forum for older cars.

Just my $.02.

Billy
Old 08-15-2015, 08:44 PM
mmaturo
Racer

I have expel on my Audis and now my C2S. The expel on my white cars is holding out well. My RS5 sits outside everyday in the florida sun and is just now starting to shift color after now 3 years. The film has a very long warranty...when it gets bad enough I will just get it replaced. My R8 looks fine after almost 3 years as well. I have full bumper,hood, fenders, rockers into sills and mirrors on all my cars done. I would not go unprotected after the mess that occurred on the fronts on two of my previous cars. My Rs6 and S5 were just peppered to death on Chicago roads. My Rs6 needed the entire front repainted. The film would have been cheaper. My S5 was the victim of hundreds of rocks getting thrown up at the bumper and hood by a semi that put tires off in a construction zone in front of me. Peppered it badly. If I had expel on it there would have been no damage. I would rather not repaint as that is what puts doubt in a future buyers mind. It did me on a 911 that I looked at that after looking at it I finally noticed the respray on the front. I passed on it. If you ever track the car it is 1000% necessary. The film saved the front of my RS7 from a tire fragment on the road that had the cords sticking up that I ended up hitting. Destroyed the film but the paint was fine. It would have been a whole repaint and repair of the bumper otherwise.

Quick Reply: Are most people using /recommending Xpel or other film for a new car?