Another painful GTS wait

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 06:29 PM
rye595
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Another painful GTS wait

Figured I'd post my build while I wait: http://www.porsche-code.com/PGNN6F46

I seem to be one of the few who prefer full leather to the alcantara GTS interior package. I had a 997.1 that was red/sand beige, and have basically decided to correct all the things that weren't right about that car:

1. I bought that car used, and I've ordered this one from the factory. It certainly doesn't make financial sense, but picking this machine up brand new is an experience I can't wait to have.

2. The sand beige was a bit too much tan. I had a standard interior, and EVERYTHING was tan. The two-tone leather will be much nicer - perfect as far as I'm concerned.

3. The stereo was awful in the 997 (I had the Sound Package Plus). I actually tore the entire car apart and replaced everything myself. It was an interesting project, and sounded pretty good, but was never perfect, and drove me somewhat crazy, when I probably should have just ripped it all out and listened to the exhaust. But this time, I decided to go with the Burmester. Sure, I'll listen to the sport exhaust more, but I like a good stereo at times, and this one should be great.

Beyond those things, I'm psyched for all of the stuff that comes standard with the GTS. One item I had planned to add to my 997 before I sold it was a center radiator. I'm glad the GTS comes standard with that, in addition to the "integrated dry sump." This car should be perfectly happy on the track on occasion, and I always felt my 997.1 ran too hot on the track. Plus, I was always a little concerned about the IMS bearing issue, which I won't have to worry about with this car.

Oh, and I gave up a Boxster Spyder slot for this car. That's a subject for another thread, but as much as the Spyder intrigued me, I just couldn't move away from that 911 rear end! I hope to have it mid-October.
Old 08-03-2015, 06:48 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts
Default Another painful GTS wait

Congratulations on the order! It's nice that you had a 911 before, and went off of that experience on a perfect build for yourself.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:04 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the order. Way to learn from your "mistakes." Nice build on the new car, and kudos on selecting the manual. It's otherworldly.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:14 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

Nice focused build. All the important stuff
Old 08-03-2015, 07:20 PM
c_Gio
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Now you can doubt yourself for months, keep building it different and probably just go with your first build!

Having said that... Why spend $2k on heated/ventilated seats & auto dim mirrors when you can just go premium plus? Is it not an option w GTS interior?

And no GTS/Turbo S CL wheels? Sort of iconic for the car, it's calling card of sorts...

Nice call on the MT!
Old 08-03-2015, 07:26 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

Congratulations! Great build. Be sure to share pictures once you finally get your hands on it.
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 08-04-2015, 01:45 AM
rye595
Advanced

The build has actually already locked. I sort of purposely didn't ask for too many opinions until it was locked!

Couple of responses:

Funny comment about learning from my "mistakes!" It's kind of true For me, this car should be exactly what I want, and when I bought the first car, I wasn't in a position to order one new.

Premium package requires the addition of 18-way seats, and in my mind, I didn't want the added cost or weight for those. That one is debatable, but it made sense at the time. I fell in love with ventilated seats in a C2S I drove before placing the order. I threw in the dimming mirrors only because my father insisted that I needed them. He recently ordered his first Porsche, a Cayman GTS without them, and curses Porsche for making them an option! (He loves the car like nothing else, but still has some hatred for the Porsche craziness).

Side note: my dad flew out and picked up my 997 with me in Texas, and we drove it back to CO together. I got him hooked on Porsches, and when he finally sold his E46 M3 and bought the Cayman, I flew out and picked his car up with him. Now he'll come out and pick this one up with me when it arrives. So he's been very involved in the ordering process too.

And I deleted the centerlocks because I plan to change wheels myself when I eventually get a set of track wheels. The centerlocks scare me. Plus, I've never liked black wheels, even though I do like those centerlocks.

So I de-GTS'd the car a bit, but I'm fine with that. The black accents and sport design front fascia are enough for me. I just can't wait to drive it!
Old 08-04-2015, 02:37 AM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Received 1,761 Likes on 692 Posts

I hear you on the wait! Enjoy the period of waiting that you are in now because as it gets closer it gets even worse! Daily checking of the build progress followed by hourly checking on the location of the ship once the car is loaded up. Did you know there are web cams at the Panama Canal? I do. Because I kept them in a window on my computer for an entire day to watch the ship pass through Then a mystery wait once the ship hits port where everything goes dark and you have no real idea when it will hit the dealer. I hope that I'm a week or two away but who knows. My SA will only indulge my obsession every few days.

Your build looks great! Like you, I de-GTS'd my car a bit. After spending quite a bit of time in different cars I just couldn't fall in love with the Alcantara interior accents so I had to skip the GTS interior. I didn't like the feel, the look (too many different materials in a small space) or losing the ventilated seats. I went all leather and then added the painted interior trim in hopes of spicing up the interior a bit. I'm betting that I can get just a red tach aftermarket at some point if I want.

Out of curiosity, what drove you to Guards Red over Carmine Red? Both are great reds but once I saw Carmine in person it just looked like a perfect red and I liked that it was introduced for the GTS.
Old 08-05-2015, 01:14 AM
rye595
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jeff Jones

Out of curiosity, what drove you to Guards Red over Carmine Red? Both are great reds but once I saw Carmine in person it just looked like a perfect red and I liked that it was introduced for the GTS.
Ha! I love the Panama Canal webcam. I'll get there soon. My car should be built 1 month from today.

I like the Carmine a lot too, but the first Porsche I ever drove was a guards red 944 when I was 17, and my 997 was guards. I waffled between agate grey, carmine, and guards, but ultimately decided I needed another guards red car. Saved me a little money too
Old 08-05-2015, 02:29 AM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Received 1,761 Likes on 692 Posts

You can't go wrong with Guards Red. It's beautiful and such a classic color. Then again, there is something about the 911 shape where it just looks amazing in almost any color. I've also heard that Carmine Red might be a higher maintenance color to deal with down the road.

I just heard from my dealer today that my car has cleared customs and is released for transport. He said it should likely be on it's way to the dealer by Thursday. Then 3 or so days for transport and a few days to prep it. I can't freaking wait!
Old 08-05-2015, 11:10 AM
rye595
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jeff Jones
You can't go wrong with Guards Red. It's beautiful and such a classic color. Then again, there is something about the 911 shape where it just looks amazing in almost any color. I've also heard that Carmine Red might be a higher maintenance color to deal with down the road.

I just heard from my dealer today that my car has cleared customs and is released for transport. He said it should likely be on it's way to the dealer by Thursday. Then 3 or so days for transport and a few days to prep it. I can't freaking wait!
Congrats! Keep us posted. I'm going to try to track mine carefully as we'll so I can get my dad out here to pick it up. I did the same with his car last year, and we nailed it almost to the day.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:50 PM
993Mpls
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Great car! Wonderful. I'll call you up in 15 years when you want to sell... and when I can afford it!
Old 08-05-2015, 02:47 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,016 Likes on 282 Posts

All I can say is ENJOY the wait. Some of my best memories thus far in owning p-cars is the anticipation, tracking the ship, etc.

You'll almost definitely miss the wait when it's over, so enjoy it for what it is!
Old 08-06-2015, 02:08 PM
ChoyV
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

The wait will even be more aggravating when it is nearer. I was fine when the wait was 2 months but it is now harder when I am expecting my delivery 2 weeks from now.
Old 08-08-2015, 01:47 AM
mgflyfish
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Originally Posted by rye595
Figured I'd post my build while I wait: http://www.porsche-code.com/PGNN6F46

I seem to be one of the few who prefer full leather to the alcantara GTS interior package. I had a 997.1 that was red/sand beige, and have basically decided to correct all the things that weren't right about that car:

1. I bought that car used, and I've ordered this one from the factory. It certainly doesn't make financial sense, but picking this machine up brand new is an experience I can't wait to have.

2. The sand beige was a bit too much tan. I had a standard interior, and EVERYTHING was tan. The two-tone leather will be much nicer - perfect as far as I'm concerned.

3. The stereo was awful in the 997 (I had the Sound Package Plus). I actually tore the entire car apart and replaced everything myself. It was an interesting project, and sounded pretty good, but was never perfect, and drove me somewhat crazy, when I probably should have just ripped it all out and listened to the exhaust. But this time, I decided to go with the Burmester. Sure, I'll listen to the sport exhaust more, but I like a good stereo at times, and this one should be great.

Beyond those things, I'm psyched for all of the stuff that comes standard with the GTS. One item I had planned to add to my 997 before I sold it was a center radiator. I'm glad the GTS comes standard with that, in addition to the "integrated dry sump." This car should be perfectly happy on the track on occasion, and I always felt my 997.1 ran too hot on the track. Plus, I was always a little concerned about the IMS bearing issue, which I won't have to worry about with this car.

Oh, and I gave up a Boxster Spyder slot for this car. That's a subject for another thread, but as much as the Spyder intrigued me, I just couldn't move away from that 911 rear end! I hope to have it mid-October.
More leather here as well: http://www.porsche-code.com/PGIDEMW7
Sept. build., Now what'll I do--sides this?

Quick Reply: Another painful GTS wait