Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GTS: Cab or Targa?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 06:36 AM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Just thought the OP should make sure that AWD is what he wants. Targas only come in this configuration, but cabs can be RWD too. If no preference then obviously go for the look you prefer. Also, I guess it depends on whether you have tall kids, but there's a lot more room in the back of a cab with the top down - I've taken adults on hour drives back there in not-too-bad discomfort (so I'm told!), but with the top up a lack of headroom would have made it impossible.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:47 AM
casaforte9
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Top down cab has more head room for adults but then you cannot use the wind deflector that makes the car so enjoyable without nasty wind drafts

Targa feels couple like when top up but cab still has the convertible look so it is a personal choice I guess
Old 08-14-2015, 12:52 AM
PVKPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Targa all of the way....I think it looks better and now that its a true targa reminded of the old 964 targas, better all around. And here is my take.....Some of our friends here are anti-cabrio, just wouldnt have one no matter what...for all kinds of reasons. Me, I prefer the cab over coupe but I have a coupe because it was what I found and liked the most at the time but still wish I had a cab, especially out here in So Cal. That being said, I am betting the targa gets an audience of both coupe and cab lovers meaning someone that may not want a cab or like cabs, would consider the targa. and on top of everything else, the new targa just looks so cool and have you watched the roof go up and down, pretty cool engineering
Old 08-14-2015, 04:53 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,604 Likes on 2,343 Posts

I wonder if there is a real difference in terms of weight and also chassis stiffness between the Targa and Cabriolet?

Since the Cabriolet roof is now "solid" magnesium panels I should imagine its about as rigid as a targa roof closed... cab might even be lighter!
Old 08-14-2015, 05:02 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Received 1,761 Likes on 692 Posts

I haven't seen any hard numbers on stiffness between the models, just what you would expect from reviews. The Coupe is the stiffest, the Targa next and the Cab third but all are great. I would love to see actual numbers if they exist.

The Targa weighs 88 lbs more than the Cab and 154 lbs more than the Coupe. It's the big glass rear window and the folding mechanism that adds the extra pounds so it puts the weight high and in the rear. I still think the Targa GTS is the prettiest of the 991 series but it certainly isn't the one you would pick to turn into a dedicated track car.

What I will say is that the performance potential of the car so far exceeds my own driving ability that it will be a very long time before I'm annoyed at the fractions of a second (or a few seconds) the Targa might add to my lap time. I've got plenty of other things slowing me down more than that...like two kids and a wife that don't want to ever get out of the car either
Old 08-14-2015, 05:09 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,604 Likes on 2,343 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Jones
I haven't seen any hard numbers on stiffness between the models, just what you would expect from reviews. The Coupe is the stiffest, the Targa next and the Cab third but all are great. I would love to see actual numbers if they exist.

The Targa weighs 88 lbs more than the Cab and 154 lbs more than the Coupe. It's the big glass rear window and the folding mechanism that adds the extra pounds so it puts the weight high and in the rear. I still think the Targa GTS is the prettiest of the 991 series but it certainly isn't the one you would pick to turn into a dedicated track car.

What I will say is that the performance potential of the car so far exceeds my own driving ability that it will be a very long time before I'm annoyed at the fractions of a second (or a few seconds) the Targa might add to my lap time. I've got plenty of other things slowing me down more than that...like two kids and a wife that don't want to ever get out of the car either
should have sprung for the ejector seat options on the configurator
Old 09-19-2015, 02:05 PM
dpod4
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Jones

Jeff, have just read some of your posts on your Targa GTS Carmine Red. Love the photos; way to go with painted interior accents - just showed my wife...I bought her a white Targa 4S in July, and I placed my order for a sapphire blue Targa GTS (December build). My wife says the Carmine Red is one of her favorite colors in the Targa, especially with the black wheels and black interior. If I hadn't owned a Red/Black R32 for last 12 years, I would have ordered the Carmine Red.

I agree with your comments about the Targa having more than enough performance. Earlier this year I picked up a new Turbo S. Scary fast...way too much capability for my driving skills. Something about the Targa that is completely viscerally satisfying. Again congrats on the Targa and looking forward to hearing more of your impressions on the GTS as a DD.
Old 09-19-2015, 11:11 PM
991GTS
Intermediate

Targa.
Old 09-20-2015, 06:34 PM
coxswain
Racer

Targa's chassis is 10% stiffer than Cab's, if my memory is right. And Targa certainly looks more stylish.
If I will ever order a 991.2 to replace my 991.1 C4S, it will be a 991.2 Targa.

This Porsche designer can have a 911 as his company car, and he confesses that he recently ordered a white Targa as
his new company car. He knows the style, I guess:

(Please use subtitles in English.)

Old 09-20-2015, 08:11 PM
bernpep
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default GTS: Cab or Targa?

Awesome,I just took delivery of a white targa 4S
Great minds think alike!
Old 09-20-2015, 08:30 PM
coxswain
Racer

Originally Posted by bernpep
Awesome,I just took delivery of a white targa 4S
Great minds think alike!
Yes, white is a great color for Targa. "Pretty" was this Dutch designer's complimenting word at 7:37 for his white Targa.

Last edited by coxswain; 09-21-2015 at 01:19 AM.
Old 09-21-2015, 12:55 AM
bernpep
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default GTS: Cab or Targa?

Aah, a hater & a loser you must be
Old 09-21-2015, 04:30 AM
gotgolf52
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

I had a cab but I would rather have the targa, especially 991 Targa GTS, the best looking 991.

Quick Reply: GTS: Cab or Targa?