Sponsored by:

My 991.2 build

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 10:06 AM
LCW
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My 991.2 build

here is my build. It will be my daily driver (or just about). Go ahead and ridicule...

http://www.porsche-code.com/PHDJBVJ8
Old 09-19-2015, 10:17 AM
c_Gio
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Good call on the premium +. I'm shocked how rarely I see it around here. Mandatory for me. Nice build. Maybe consider the 20" inch wheels? And have you sat in both the 14 and the 18 to know for sure which your body fits best?
Old 09-19-2015, 11:39 AM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

If you are building the car to suit your needs why would anyone (least of all me) criticize your choices? Perhaps, however, people may point out things that might have slipped under your radar, as there are hundreds of options to consider. One thing I might suggest is to think carefully about 19" versus 20" tires. I have heard it said that the 20" tires are a better fitment in the 991 (I am in a 997 so I don't have any first hand experience). Maybe someone will chime in on that.

Also, perhaps some impractical interior touches that you might add for yourself. When I built my 997 I added small (albeit pricey) personal touches that pretty much only I'd appreciate. For me (not wanting a full leather interior or carbon doo-dads, etc.), I added red seat belts, red gauges, Sports Bucket seats and the OEM SSK that I notice and give me satisfaction every time I drive my car.
Old 09-19-2015, 11:51 AM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts
Default My 991.2 build

Your build looks great. One thing that I've seen on other cars, that I think looks classy is the Porsche crest embossed into the head rests. It seems silly, but looks really good in person...T
Old 09-19-2015, 11:59 AM
LCW
Pro

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
If you are building the car to suit your needs why would anyone (least of all me) criticize your choices? Perhaps, however, people may point out things that might have slipped under your radar, as there are hundreds of options to consider. One thing I might suggest is to think carefully about 19" versus 20" tires. I have heard it said that the 20" tires are a better fitment in the 991 (I am in a 997 so I don't have any first hand experience). Maybe someone will chime in on that.

Also, perhaps some impractical interior touches that you might add for yourself. When I built my 997 I added small (albeit pricey) personal touches that pretty much only I'd appreciate. For me (not wanting a full leather interior or carbon doo-dads, etc.), I added red seat belts, red gauges, Sports Bucket seats and the OEM SSK that I notice and give me satisfaction every time I drive my car.

Thank you. Yes, you put it best. I love to hear comments and feedback. And yes the special and exciting thing about building a car is adding little touches that only you would appreciate. That is why we pay such a huge premium. In regards to the wheels, I will certainly consider the 20". I kind of like the design of the stock ones and am also trying to stay within budget. In regards to the interior, I really wanted the instrument dials in white, but it seems they are not available any more (at least for now). I will consider the red seat belts.... that's a good thought.
thank you
Old 09-19-2015, 12:03 PM
LCW
Pro

Originally Posted by c_Gio
Good call on the premium +. I'm shocked how rarely I see it around here. Mandatory for me. Nice build. Maybe consider the 20" inch wheels? And have you sat in both the 14 and the 18 to know for sure which your body fits best?
I sat in the 14 way and they seemed good for me. I have not tried the 18 way. I certainly will before confirming the build. Thank you
Old 09-19-2015, 12:24 PM
worldattorney
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beautiful build..love that dark blue.

Only 2 things that I would consider adding:

1) Either the S or RS Wheels - The S ones look great - The RS - AMAZING
2) Crests on headrests - Adds some more elegance and breaks up 'plain'

Originally Posted by tomc_mets
Your build looks great. One thing that I've seen on other cars, that I think looks classy is the Porsche crest embossed into the head rests. It seems silly, but looks really good in person...T
+1
Old 09-19-2015, 12:38 PM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

Nice car! Have you looked at the NB metallic in person on another car (not the configuration chip)? I love blue, and the Dark Blue metallic the Night Blue replaced is my favorite P color! But NB is very dark -almost black even in the day in the shade! In any case, enjoy the car, I would only dream of building one. I've bought all my 911s preowned to fit under my budget! Cheers.
Old 09-19-2015, 12:50 PM
LCW
Pro

Originally Posted by RobC4sX51
Nice car! Have you looked at the NB metallic in person on another car (not the configuration chip)? I love blue, and the Dark Blue metallic the Night Blue replaced is my favorite P color! But NB is very dark -almost black even in the day in the shade! In any case, enjoy the car, I would only dream of building one. I've bought all my 911s preowned to fit under my budget! Cheers.
Dark Blue Metallic was my favorite color. I was so bummed when I discovered they dropped it for the new model. I did go see Night Blue on a Panamera in person. It is a little darker than DBM, but not by much by my eyes...

The alternative is GT Silver....
Old 09-19-2015, 12:55 PM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

Old 09-19-2015, 01:02 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,018 Likes on 612 Posts

Here's my $0.02:
1. Don't pay for colored wheel crests. You can buy them from Suncoast OEM for about the same $ and then have two sets, one colored and one unpainted.
2. The Aluminum "look" fuel cap is painted, not aluminum, and lives under the fuel cap cover. $160? Never.
3. Painted headlight washers. $295 is a bit obscene, but you just saved $160 by not getting a painted fuel cap no one sees. Those chrome nipples on a dark car are jarring to my eye. The LED lights are excellent, however.
4. Smoking package. FREE and adds an extra 12V port and a nice lid. I keep my 9500CI controller in there and the cover hides it. Don't smoke but wouldn't leave it off the table at $0 cost.
5. (Personal preference) - I don't like the glare/look of the brightworks of the center console trim and "interior package". It's pricey, but I would either paint them exterior color or have it in leather. My '15 TT has the console trim painted and the Interior Package in leather, but it looks like you can't split them up anymore.
Should be a great car!
Old 09-19-2015, 01:31 PM
worldattorney
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Keadog
Here's my $0.02:
1. Don't pay for colored wheel crests. You can buy them from Suncoast OEM for about the same $ and then have two sets, one colored and one unpainted.
2. The Aluminum "look" fuel cap is painted, not aluminum, and lives under the fuel cap cover. $160? Never.
3. Painted headlight washers. $295 is a bit obscene, but you just saved $160 by not getting a painted fuel cap no one sees. Those chrome nipples on a dark car are jarring to my eye. The LED lights are excellent, however.
4. Smoking package. FREE and adds an extra 12V port and a nice lid. I keep my 9500CI controller in there and the cover hides it. Don't smoke but wouldn't leave it off the table at $0 cost.
5. (Personal preference) - I don't like the glare/look of the brightworks of the center console trim and "interior package". It's pricey, but I would either paint them exterior color or have it in leather. My '15 TT has the console trim painted and the Interior Package in leather, but it looks like you can't split them up anymore.
Should be a great car!
+1 (#1-#4)

#5: Bright pieces liven-up a dark interior
Old 09-19-2015, 01:39 PM
windboat
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Have you considered the dark blue CAB top instead of the black?
Old 09-19-2015, 02:11 PM
LCW
Pro

Originally Posted by windboat
Have you considered the dark blue CAB top instead of the black?
I have considered it. Sorry but don't like it. Just my preference. I think the blue soft top would be too "matchy"... sort of trying to hide the fact it is a convertible... in South Florida, the only people you see driving a blue carrera with a blue top are women...
Old 09-19-2015, 02:12 PM
LCW
Pro

Originally Posted by Keadog
Here's my $0.02:
Should be a great car!

Good points -- well taken. will consider.

thank you

Quick Reply: My 991.2 build