Sponsored by:

Changing Front Facia

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 12:24 AM
porscherex
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Changing Front Facia

I have a 2013 C2S with the normal front facia. I would like some advice/insight how to go about replacing my present front facia with the SportDesign one. Also advice as to selling/keeping my present one. I am not a DIYer - far from it, so I would be using my local dealer or body shop. How do you go about selling the old one, eBay Motors parts, used Porsche parts dealer? How do you determine a price for it if I sold it? My present facia is in as new condition. STG991, I know you changed yours. Your advice would be great. Thanks guys.
Old 08-01-2015, 12:35 AM
Vista6019
Rennlist Member

Received 369 Likes on 149 Posts

There are many video's on YouTube showing front facia removal--it is much easier than you think, although I am not sure of what is involved installing the Sport Design front end.....
There are many Porsche body parts listed on EBAY...do a search and you can get an idea of what they are worth....Shipping might be a challenge but can be done.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:23 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

I had the body shop I use change it out. They were doing other work on the car, and it made sense.

Now you're getting the duck too right? If so, the dealer will need to do some programming from you taking off the standard rear spoiler.

The dealer can do an easy front bumper swap for you. Did it come with the black grills too?

As far as the old one, I've seen a lot of standard bumpers for sale there. Only getting like $500 for them. I assume not an easy sale, since insurance gets involved and covers anyone's damage.

I have my original front bumper in storage, but should try and sell it. Almost not worth the hassle. Shipping such a large box is $$$. How much was shipping with your newly purchased one?

For reference. The beginning:

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...s-project.html

And more recent:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8674...s-journal.html
Old 08-03-2015, 09:29 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

I would think you are better off keeping the original bumper and putting it back on when selling the car, then selling the sport design one.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:32 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by MJG911
I would think you are better off keeping the original bumper and putting it back on when selling the car, then selling the sport design one.
Makes sense if ending up as a dealer trade at some point. The dealer won't pay any extra for the SD bumper.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:49 PM
porscherex
Pro

Thanks for your reply. I have not purchased front yet, trying to see how invoked it is. I am not getting the duck tail (don't boo). It's interesting- Suncoast sells the SportDesign front for $2500 plus shipping. It will need to be painted, so a body shop install makes sense. The SD facia on Porsche website sells for $3000 but it comes painted - so dealer install seems better. I don't know how much a body shop would charge for painting, but I would think one painted from the factory would better (closer match, etc). Bumpers on eBay Motors sell for about $500 but they are somewhat damaged. Better one are more like $750 plus shipping. I am wondering whether selling to used parts store would make some sense. You're right - and how do you ship the thing?
Old 08-03-2015, 09:56 PM
STG
Race Director

You cannot buy a painted one from Porsche. They just show it painted. The one from Suncoast is the one that they sell. In primer. No factory parts come pre-painted. Too much variation in batches. They could not guarantee a match. Better left to a qualified body shop.

Keep the box from the new one, and use that to ship the old one if it sells. My old one is in that box. Greyhound has a freight/box delivery service that's supposed to be reasonable. If not, all freight companies can ship it. Ask Suncoast or Sunset for a reference.

Even if you keep the rear spoiler, it will look sweet. Sorry, I confused you with the RL buddy who bought the used SD bumper I had posted in my "hot for sale" thread.

Last edited by STG; 08-03-2015 at 10:24 PM.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:59 PM
STG
Race Director

FYI

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8636...e-week-23.html

mmaturo bought the white SD bumper. Update?? Curious on the progress
Old 08-03-2015, 10:19 PM
porscherex
Pro

Originally Posted by STG991
I had the body shop I use change it out. They were doing other work on the car, and it made sense. Now you're getting the duck too right? If so, the dealer will need to do some programming from you taking off the standard rear spoiler. The dealer can do an easy front bumper swap for you. Did it come with the black grills too? As far as the old one, I've seen a lot of standard bumpers for sale there. Only getting like $500 for them. I assume not an easy sale, since insurance gets involved and covers anyone's damage. I have my original front bumper in storage, but should try and sell it. Almost not worth the hassle. Shipping such a large box is $$$. How much was shipping with your newly purchased one? For reference. The beginning: http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...s-project.html And more recent: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8674...s-journal.html
For some reason your reference posts did not show up as part of your post. I see them now and I have read them. Very helpful. Thanks.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:33 PM
porscherex
Pro

You cannot buy a painted one from Porsche. They just show it painted. The one from Suncoast is the one that they sell. In primer. No factory parts come pre-painted. Too much variation in batches. They could not guarantee a match. Better left to a qualified body shop. Keep the box from the new one, and use that to ship the old one if it sells. My old one is in that box. Greyhound has a freight/box delivery service that's supposed to be reasonable. If not, all freight companies can ship it. Ask Suncoast or Sunset for a reference. Even if you keep the rear spoiler, it will look sweet. Sorry, I confused you with the RL buddy who bought the used SD bumper I had posted in my "hot for sale" thread.
Perhaps I'm wrong, but the Porsche website says it comes painted in exterior color. I will check with my dealer.

http://content3.eu.porsche.com/prod/...ac=seriesbtype
Old 08-03-2015, 10:39 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by porscherex
Perhaps I'm wrong, but the Porsche website says it comes painted in exterior color. I will check with my dealer.

http://content3.eu.porsche.com/prod/...ac=seriesbtype
Trust me. It's primer. I've done more research than I care to admit.

Keep us posted on your next move. Good luck.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:12 PM
porscherex
Pro

Trust me. It's primer. I've done more research than I care to admit. Keep us posted on your next move. Good luck.
Thank you. I will.

Quick Reply: Changing Front Facia