Sponsored by:

991.2 - rear steering, over boost for 120 secs and more

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 04:16 PM
cloud9blue
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
If the mules are an indication, it looks as though the 'S' will have the GT3 PCCB brakes, which makes me wonder if it will also have the GT3 steels as default
Doubt it. My guess is that Porsche outfitted the prototype with oversized brakes as a precaution since these cars are heavily tracked on the Nurburgring. But a switch to the floating rotors design on the GT3 and Turbo from the one piece cast rotors of the standard 911 would be nice, considering pretty much all other cars in that price range are making floating or semi-floating rotors as the standard.
Old 07-27-2015, 05:34 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Received 1,762 Likes on 692 Posts

Is there any precedent in Porsche's past to a PCM upgrade/swap? I'm about to finally get my hands on my 16 Targa GTS and there is nothing about the 991.2 that is making me jealous with the possible exception of a major upgrade to the PCM (no real details yet of course).

I'm guessing that a swap is highly unlikely I realize but perhaps others have some firsthand experience on previous revisions.
Old 07-27-2015, 05:36 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,632 Likes on 2,358 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Jones
Is there any precedent in Porsche's past to a PCM upgrade/swap? I'm about to finally get my hands on my 16 Targa GTS and there is nothing about the 991.2 that is making me jealous with the possible exception of a major upgrade to the PCM (no real details yet of course).

I'm guessing that a swap is highly unlikely I realize but perhaps others have some firsthand experience on previous revisions.
dont even go there! - there be monsters
Old 07-27-2015, 05:38 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cloud9blue
Doubt it. My guess is that Porsche outfitted the prototype with oversized brakes as a precaution since these cars are heavily tracked on the Nurburgring. But a switch to the floating rotors design on the GT3 and Turbo from the one piece cast rotors of the standard 911 would be nice, considering pretty much all other cars in that price range are making floating or semi-floating rotors as the standard.
I dont think I have ever seen a factory mule lapping the ring with non-std brakes.

Not too mention; PAG 'test' these cars in Ca literally weeks before the official launch of the car (Frankfurt) so the cars that appear here are final models.
Old 07-27-2015, 05:49 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,090 Likes on 386 Posts

Funny you should mention that but my dealer, who has been right on the money so far, told me Porsche are working on an upgrade for existing PCMs to the new Apple Play system.
Old 07-27-2015, 05:49 PM
shaytun
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cloud9blue
Not impossible that brakes would also be bigger as there is expected weight gain across the line.
Old 07-27-2015, 05:50 PM
cloud9blue
Rennlist Member

Definitely possible, and pretty common in the BMW scene. However, you would need coding access to the vehicle's electronic, which I don't think is readily available for thees cars at the moment.
Old 07-27-2015, 05:50 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris3963
Funny you should mention that but my dealer, who has been right on the money so far, told me Porsche are working on an upgrade for existing PCMs to the new Apple Play system.
if that's true that's great - I was thinking of a h/w and not a s/w swap.
Old 07-27-2015, 06:15 PM
cloud9blue
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I dont think I have ever seen a factory mule lapping the ring with non-std brakes.

Not too mention; PAG 'test' these cars in Ca literally weeks before the official launch of the car (Frankfurt) so the cars that appear here are final models.
Well, there have been a few sightings of mules with steel brakes.

First two pics (one from last year and one from the sighting last week in US) show just the standard Carrera brakes with small, non-floating rotors. But the latest official testing pictures released by Porsche shows the use of Turbo/GT3 style 380mm floating rotors. So it is possible that the Carrera now Gets the Carrera 2S brakes while the C2S gets upgraded to the Turbo/GT3 system, which is pretty awesome in my opinion. But anyway, we will see the real spec in just a month time.
Attached Images    
Old 07-27-2015, 06:19 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

it will be interesting to see what the specs are like!
Old 07-27-2015, 07:06 PM
haen
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I am told that the 991.2 C2S has an exhaust note very reminiscent of an American hot rod.

Sort of a deep throaty growl, very much unlike the current iteration of the 991 TT/TTS exhaust note, which in stock form sounds like a balloon with a hole in it slowly leaking out air.
Not so sure about that American hot rod soundtrack...

Old 07-27-2015, 07:14 PM
cloud9blue
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by haen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDLjBwZMeJM
Yeah, for whatever reasons, the mules with the quad exhaust sounds terrible. But some have suggested they might just be a testing chassis for the flat-4 used in boxster/cayman.

The newer videos with the centrally mounted dual actually sounds pretty good.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8836...l#post12456759
Old 07-27-2015, 08:03 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by haen
Yeah, while it would be awesome if it were true, I really doubt that they succeeded in making a 6 cylinder turbo sound like an American hot rod (which means a V8). I've never heard a turbo that sounded like that and I really doubt the first one to successfully pull it off will be a 6 cylinder. I'll bet they get it sounding decent though.

EDIT, just listened to that video. Maybe they won't get it to sound good. That car sounded more Star Wars TIE Fighter than American muscle.
Old 07-28-2015, 03:06 AM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I am told that the 991.2 C2S has an exhaust note very reminiscent of an American hot rod.

Doubt that , but if true, it means the end to decades long derision by 911 owners of the sound of " unsophisticated " large displacement American iron like Corvettes , Camaros, Mustangs, etc.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:23 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

No it doesn't. We will just now deride 991.2s in addition to the above. Hell, we're already doing that!

Quick Reply: 991.2 - rear steering, over boost for 120 secs and more