Sponsored by:

Nail in middle of tire tread

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 11:46 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,589 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
In 2002 when I was instructing for the AMG Mercedes Driving Experience, they had a Michelin Tire Engineer from the factory in the pits along with assorted Mercedes mechanics to keep this high profile event running. I had the opportunity to talk with him at length about punctures and the science behind it all during the lunch break and here's what he had to say:

* If you decide to repair a tire be aware that it loses its speed rating. It is no longer a safe tire to run hard and hot and is subject to failure. While this may not be a factor on a 20-year-old pickup truck that makes runs to Home Depot and back, it will be on a high performance car that is driven aggressively

* Modern tires are steel belted radials, and any puncture and repair breaks that steel belt and allows water to gain entry into that area. Once water gets in - and it will - the steel belt will rust and can fail, usually as a blow-out.

* All repairs should be considered temporary until you can get the tire replaced.

I do not repair my tires on my performance cars or motorcycles, or my wife's SUV. I replace them. I will use internal plugs on my garden tractor or rear duallies on my truck (but not the front tires). To me, its not worth it to take a chance on failure. I know there are those that think its OK, and if you're good with it - that's cool. But please, never take a repaired tire and run a track event on it, the loads on the tires are huge and your chance of catastrophic failure increase significantly.

Before I get in a car to instruct at a DE school, I have two questions for the student. 1) Are you running dustless aftermarket brake pads, and 2) Are there any repaired tires on the car? If they are, than I won't ride with them - I consider it too hazardous for my personal safety.
sounds advice...
Old 07-17-2015, 04:05 PM
Green_Hornet
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In 2002 when I was instructing for the AMG Mercedes Driving Experience, they had a Michelin Tire Engineer from the factory in the pits along with assorted Mercedes mechanics to keep this high profile event running. I had the opportunity to talk with him at length about punctures and the science behind it all during the lunch break and here's what he had to say:

* If you decide to repair a tire be aware that it loses its speed rating. It is no longer a safe tire to run hard and hot and is subject to failure. While this may not be a factor on a 20-year-old pickup truck that makes runs to Home Depot and back, it will be on a high performance car that is driven aggressively

* Modern tires are steel belted radials, and any puncture and repair breaks that steel belt and allows water to gain entry into that area. Once water gets in - and it will - the steel belt will rust and can fail, usually as a blow-out.

* All repairs should be considered temporary until you can get the tire replaced.

I do not repair my tires on my performance cars or motorcycles, or my wife's SUV. I replace them. I will use internal plugs on my garden tractor or rear duallies on my truck (but not the front tires). To me, its not worth it to take a chance on failure. I know there are those that think its OK, and if you're good with it - that's cool. But please, never take a repaired tire and run a track event on it, the loads on the tires are huge and your chance of catastrophic failure increase significantly.

Before I get in a car to instruct at a DE school, I have two questions for the student. 1) Are you running dustless aftermarket brake pads, and 2) Are there any repaired tires on the car? If they are, than I won't ride with them - I consider it too hazardous for my personal safety.
Very good advice.

My 2 cents...
NEVER plug a sidewall.

I carry a plug kit with me just in case of emergency repair to the tread area but the tire needs to be replaced. Steel belted radials must have the hole reamed out to get the plug inserted. The severed steel threads can still wear away at the plug.

A patch placed on the inside of the tire is considered acceptable in some circles. Those circles don't usually contain high performance cars.

Good Luck
Old 07-17-2015, 07:29 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

Sounds like a man with tires for sale. Rusted belts?! Give me a F'ing break.

Awhile back I asked for reports of actual incidents, on-track or off, caused by a tire that had been properly patched in its tread area.

The result was... *crickets.*

Any updates?
Old 07-17-2015, 08:22 PM
ChoyV
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Discountire should be able to fix it as long as it is on the thread area and an inch from the edge towards the middle.
Old 07-18-2015, 10:47 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

I had about 10k miles on an OEM Pirelli that had a plug and interior patch due to a nail well away from the sidewall. Never a problem with the repair, which was done by a local shop that is a primary source of tires for racers and PCA trackers. But, note well- they would never repair anything that had a puncture near a sidewall, or with a damaged a steel belt.
Old 07-18-2015, 11:10 AM
mmaturo
Racer

Originally Posted by 991TurboS
That is where wheel/tire insurance through the P Dealer can be a good thing. With a plan like that you get a replacement tire for a repairable tread puncture. With a Road Hazard Warranty, like the one through Tire Rack, you only get a repair. You only get a replacement tire if it is not repairable, and even then you do not qualify for Tire Rack's RH Warranty if the retail cost of the tire is over $410. I don't know the retail cost of the P-Zeros on our 911s, but it would not surprise me at all if they were more than that.
I have been buying my tires from Discount Tire for the last 15 years and buy the RH policy...they replace the tire regardless of age in full.... I have out of lets say probably 20 sets of 4 tires I have had probably 3 full sets free over the years from nails etc in Chicago with construction and just crap roads. And a few tires were pretty much almost worn out. A winter snow tire was shipped for free to me in FL on vacation during xmas to where I was staying since there was no DT store nearby but I at least had the tire to get it mounted on the car. DT really doesn't like to fix high performance summer tires either but they will, however with the RH warranty they have they just give me a new tire anyway. Personally I would not go on the track with my 100K+ cars to find out if its a good idea or not.
Old 07-18-2015, 11:28 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts
Default Nail in middle of tire tread

I saw these for sale on another forum. On a set of HRE wheels for a 991. Scary

On the inside face of the rear sidewall you don't see, but very dangerous indeed. That's where they wear down the most.
Attached Images  

Last edited by STG; 07-18-2015 at 12:00 PM.
Old 07-18-2015, 12:42 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
I had about 10k miles on an OEM Pirelli that had a plug and interior patch due to a nail well away from the sidewall. Never a problem with the repair, which was done by a local shop that is a primary source of tires for racers and PCA trackers. But, note well- they would never repair anything that had a puncture near a sidewall, or with a damaged a steel belt.
In high speed turns tires are subjected to a great deal of stress, and will actually distort. During cornering, centrifugal force acts on a vehicle to produce a side force. This side force must be resisted by the interaction of the tire on the road surface. That's why punctures to sidewalls are never plugged even for passenger cars, much less for race cars.

I certainly wouldn't have a problem with a tire being plugged when the damage was no where near the sidewall, but I could understand the reluctance of a tire shop being reluctant to undertake such a repair on a high performance car, given the litigious society in which we live. I also can understand the reluctance of an instructor to drive a car at its limits on a track when a tire has ben plugged. When the only thing separating someone from an accident and potential serious injury are the quality of the tires, it's prudent to err on the side of caution.
Old 07-18-2015, 12:59 PM
991TurboS
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mmaturo
I have been buying my tires from Discount Tire for the last 15 years and buy the RH policy...they replace the tire regardless of age in full.... I have out of lets say probably 20 sets of 4 tires I have had probably 3 full sets free over the years from nails etc in Chicago with construction and just crap roads. And a few tires were pretty much almost worn out. A winter snow tire was shipped for free to me in FL on vacation during xmas to where I was staying since there was no DT store nearby but I at least had the tire to get it mounted on the car. DT really doesn't like to fix high performance summer tires either but they will, however with the RH warranty they have they just give me a new tire anyway. Personally I would not go on the track with my 100K+ cars to find out if its a good idea or not.
That is a nice policy that Discount Tire has. I read about it on their website. Do you know how much they charge for this per tire, as it is a an extra cost option? Good thing to have. Really, then, the only difference between that and the Porsche wheel/tire insurance plans is the wheel coverage in the Porsche plan.
Old 07-18-2015, 01:23 PM
mmaturo
Racer

Originally Posted by 991TurboS
That is a nice policy that Discount Tire has. I read about it on their website. Do you know how much they charge for this per tire, as it is a an extra cost option? Good thing to have. Really, then, the only difference between that and the Porsche wheel/tire insurance plans is the wheel coverage in the Porsche plan.
It is an add on that you can choose to do and the amount of the charge seems to be guided by the cost of the tire. For most of my Michelin PS2s and Sports now I think it is roughly 50 per tire but it pays for itself if one goes. I am way ahead on my investment over the years. Correct on the wheel tire thing...the benefit there to me of the Porsche version is just the wheel protection. If I still lived in Chicago with pot holes everywhere I probably would have done that for wheel replacement...which are way the heck more expensive than most wheels so worth it if you live in a place with bad roads.
Old 07-18-2015, 02:37 PM
Vic and Ray
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mmaturo
Sounds good. We have Discount Tire all over around here. What's been your experience with the quality of work, i.e not damaging the wheels or trashing the interior?
Old 07-18-2015, 03:45 PM
mmaturo
Racer

Originally Posted by Vic and Ray
Sounds good. We have Discount Tire all over around here. What's been your experience with the quality of work, i.e not damaging the wheels or trashing the interior?
Zero issues over the years. My last wheel scratched was actually by they dealer on my RS7 changing out a tire that had a chunk out of the side of it I think from delivery. Anyway the stores that were near me in the Chicago area did very good work with no problems and I went to several of them. I have only put a tire on a spare here so far in Florida but I tend to find they train guys very well and use the right tools and motions not to mess up things.
Old 07-18-2015, 05:14 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
Sounds like a man with tires for sale. Rusted belts?! Give me a F'ing break.

Awhile back I asked for reports of actual incidents, on-track or off, caused by a tire that had been properly patched in its tread area.

The result was... *crickets.*

Any updates?
Yes as I'm sure you noticed the man giving the advice to always just buy new tires does indeed sell tires. Isn't it funny how people trying to make a point will throw out details like that (I was talking to a TIRE REP!) forgetting that tire rep is another way of saying salesman, not exactly the profession you look to for candor.

You are also right about the crickets. I've had quite a few tires patched over the years. One on the back of my 911 was patched twice. Plus a few that were plugged. Plus I never follow the tread wear replacement guidelines. These are fine for people who sell tires, people who don't know how to evaluate tire performance, and people who write tickets. I am none of those so I replace them when they need replacing. Yet for all that I've never had a "catastrophic failure" - or even any indication of any sort of failure at all being even remotely imminent.

And I know, because I make a pest of myself, bugging the tire guys until they let me watch/supervise them the whole time, including carefully inspecting the tires both coming off and going on.

Here's why:

The one time I did see catastrophic failure it was a brand new set of tires. The shop mounting them, their equipment had nicked the metal valve stem, on the inside of the rim where you couldn't see it. Then at 130 mph in Turn 1 at SIR the valve stem broke and ejected, and with no air the 993 pretty much immediately slid and rolled and crashed quite dramatically. (No injuries!)

But that doesn't fit the preferred narrative. After all it was new tires, and the cause traces directly to the "professionals" who mounted the tires.
Old 07-18-2015, 06:08 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,122 Likes on 1,460 Posts

I don't care anything about internet trolling - whatever opinion you have is fine with me. But please, don't twist the facts. In my discussion with the Michelin tire engineer, he was not a sales rep, he was one of the design team and because this was a Mercedes factory sponsored event he was there to see how the big, heavy AMG cars - particularly the S class, were wearing the tires. If you choose to believe the conversation was not in good faith, that's up to you. We all know internet folklore is a much better source for the correct answer than a professional opinion.

I've been crashed out hard by two students while instructing, and one incident broke all the ribs on my right side as we impacted the tree line at T3 at Summit Point. So you'll have to excuse me when I say I won't get in a car at the track that has plugs in the tires, or dustless organic brake pads that melt away when they get hot. That's the voice of experience speaking ....however, you certainly are more than welcome to when YOU are instructing. Have fun, relax, he won't crash....
Old 07-18-2015, 09:12 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
Yes as I'm sure you noticed the man giving the advice to always just buy new tires does indeed sell tires. Isn't it funny how people trying to make a point will throw out details like that (I was talking to a TIRE REP!) forgetting that tire rep is another way of saying salesman, not exactly the profession you look to for candor.
The frustrating thing is that the putative "man with tires for sale" apparently DOESN'T, in fact, have any tires for sale. I'm interested in replacing the PZeros on my 981S, and have been very happy with Michelins on previous P-cars, but apparently Michelin no longer wants to do business.

You are also right about the crickets. I've had quite a few tires patched over the years. One on the back of my 911 was patched twice. Plus a few that were plugged. Plus I never follow the tread wear replacement guidelines. These are fine for people who sell tires, people who don't know how to evaluate tire performance, and people who write tickets. I am none of those so I replace them when they need replacing. Yet for all that I've never had a "catastrophic failure" - or even any indication of any sort of failure at all being even remotely imminent.
I'm usually pretty careful with the treadwear guidelines, just because I don't feel comfortable driving in the rain otherwise. I also don't believe in plugs as permanent repairs because I have seen them fail myself. But I have not seen any evidence that patching a tire -- any tire -- well away from the sidewall incurs any undue risk.

In drcollie's case I'd be concerned that he is not doing a good job of assessing risk factors in general. But as he says, reasonable people may have differing opinions on the subject.

The one time I did see catastrophic failure it was a brand new set of tires. The shop mounting them, their equipment had nicked the metal valve stem, on the inside of the rim where you couldn't see it. Then at 130 mph in Turn 1 at SIR the valve stem broke and ejected, and with no air the 993 pretty much immediately slid and rolled and crashed quite dramatically. (No injuries!) But that doesn't fit the preferred narrative. After all it was new tires, and the cause traces directly to the "professionals" who mounted the tires.
Yep, and that's what I mean about risk assessment. Every time some monkey puts their hands on your car for any reason, the number of things that might go wrong increases, probably exponentially.

I have a friend who took delivery of a used 360 Spider a few years ago and didn't quite make it home from the dealership. I don't remember why the dealer monkeys R&R'ed one of the wheels -- I guess they were patching the tire (shudder) -- but while the tire patch job was just hunky-dory, their lugnut installation procedure was apparently in need of further refinement.

Quick Reply: Nail in middle of tire tread