Sponsored by:

Nail in middle of tire tread

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 06:53 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Nail in middle of tire tread

I have a nail in the middle of the tread on one of my back tires. I went to a local tire place to see if they could plug it and the guy there said no place other than a Porsche dealership would work on the tire is so close to the wheel well.

Is that true? It seems like it should be easy to patch
Old 07-16-2015, 06:56 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,401 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Find another tire shop. Plug it and patch it. Use the Tire Rack web site to locate a quality shop in your area.
Old 07-16-2015, 07:05 PM
Mojo31
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, it's not true. Go to Discount Tire, they should fix it for free.
Old 07-16-2015, 07:29 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Default Nail in middle of tire tread

A Porsche dealer actually will not plug/ patch a tire, so you're only bet is an indy tire shop. A place like Mavis should be able to do it. Some shops complain about working on 20" rims and low profile tires, but you should be able to find someone to do it.
Old 07-16-2015, 07:36 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 180 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by eg991
A Porsche dealer actually will not plug/ patch a tire, so you're only bet is an indy tire shop.
The man speaks the truth..

Do you plan to patch from the inside?
Old 07-16-2015, 08:15 PM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Sorry, in the first 4000 miles I took a nail/screw in the sidewall of my right rear tire twice. On each occasion I had to have the tire replaced not repaired. First time by the dealer and the next time by a tire dealer that took ten days. Indy shops do not repair the tires either. You have no immediate repair other than buying a new tire because you have no spare. How many people are happy with no spare?
Old 07-16-2015, 08:29 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,582 Likes on 2,331 Posts

Originally Posted by freeman
Sorry, in the first 4000 miles I took a nail/screw in the sidewall of my right rear tire twice. On each occasion I had to have the tire replaced not repaired. First time by the dealer and the next time by a tire dealer that took ten days. Indy shops do not repair the tires either. You have no immediate repair other than buying a new tire because you have no spare. How many people are happy with no spare?
I dont know of anyone who will repair sidewall damage, but plugging a puncture in the actual tread yes...
Old 07-16-2015, 09:16 PM
Powereng
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have never seen a sidewall fixed but many plugs and patches in the tread line. You should be able to find a Indy to fix it.
Old 07-16-2015, 09:20 PM
GraSox
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Nail

I've had discount tire do fixes for me. As long as it's in the tread and not side wall, you'll b golden. They are great!
Old 07-17-2015, 12:55 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,084 Likes on 1,446 Posts

In 2002 when I was instructing for the AMG Mercedes Driving Experience, they had a Michelin Tire Engineer from the factory in the pits along with assorted Mercedes mechanics to keep this high profile event running. I had the opportunity to talk with him at length about punctures and the science behind it all during the lunch break and here's what he had to say:

* If you decide to repair a tire be aware that it loses its speed rating. It is no longer a safe tire to run hard and hot and is subject to failure. While this may not be a factor on a 20-year-old pickup truck that makes runs to Home Depot and back, it will be on a high performance car that is driven aggressively

* Modern tires are steel belted radials, and any puncture and repair breaks that steel belt and allows water to gain entry into that area. Once water gets in - and it will - the steel belt will rust and can fail, usually as a blow-out.

* All repairs should be considered temporary until you can get the tire replaced.

I do not repair my tires on my performance cars or motorcycles, or my wife's SUV. I replace them. I will use internal plugs on my garden tractor or rear duallies on my truck (but not the front tires). To me, its not worth it to take a chance on failure. I know there are those that think its OK, and if you're good with it - that's cool. But please, never take a repaired tire and run a track event on it, the loads on the tires are huge and your chance of catastrophic failure increase significantly.

Before I get in a car to instruct at a DE school, I have two questions for the student. 1) Are you running dustless aftermarket brake pads, and 2) Are there any repaired tires on the car? If they are, than I won't ride with them - I consider it too hazardous for my personal safety.

Last edited by drcollie; 07-17-2015 at 11:03 AM.
Old 07-17-2015, 06:31 AM
john45in
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I agree with drcollie. Just plugged my first puncture (in a rear tire) and I'm getting 2 new rears tomorrow. They old rears are 4/32 anyway so it was time. The cheapest thing you can do is maintain undamaged tires on your car.
Old 07-17-2015, 10:49 AM
991TurboS
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is where wheel/tire insurance through the P Dealer can be a good thing. With a plan like that you get a replacement tire for a repairable tread puncture. With a Road Hazard Warranty, like the one through Tire Rack, you only get a repair. You only get a replacement tire if it is not repairable, and even then you do not qualify for Tire Rack's RH Warranty if the retail cost of the tire is over $410. I don't know the retail cost of the P-Zeros on our 911s, but it would not surprise me at all if they were more than that.
Old 07-17-2015, 11:05 AM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Just plug and patch.
Old 07-17-2015, 11:34 AM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

It'll probably be until sometime next year before I take the car on the track again. So it doesn't sound like there's any harm in patching it for now and then maybe replacing it next year before the track day.
Old 07-17-2015, 11:41 AM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

If the entrance hole is small use a combination plug and patch from the inside.

An example of what one looks like. Not a product recommendation : https://www.google.com/search?q=tire...FcI5PgodXHwAKA

These work fantastic. As stated above, if it is a very small diameter hole in the center of the tread there is no need to buy a new tire. When installed properly these repairs will hold up to any abuse you can give them. The area around the repair will actually be stronger than the rest of the tire. I also stress "small" incursion so the patch will not signfifigantly affect tire balance. Some brands have barbs that make it impossible for them to be removed.

Quick Reply: Nail in middle of tire tread