Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Dealers Aren't So Bad...

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 08:52 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 414 Likes on 180 Posts
Default Porsche Dealers Aren't So Bad...

Just went shopping for another car (not a Porsche) and visited a number of dealers, I found former aluminum siding salesmen types with absolutely no knowledge of their product. The dealers didn't even provide computers to their sales "associates." Not only were these slobs poorly trained, they were barely literate.

When pressed, they all pushed the "I have to talk to my manager" button. A "manager" appears and asks..."Well, how much do you want to spend?" Which was always met with a smile and "Absolutely nothing, I was hoping that you would pay me to take a new car" smart a$$ response and then, "you tell me the lowest price and I will tell you if it works for me."

I eventually ordered a 2016 model from a dealer about 50 miles from my home who provided the lowest price.

I found myself missing my Porsche dealer....we bitch, but face it, there is a difference...
Old 07-15-2015, 09:50 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

My favorite car salesman story used to be the guy I worked out with who bragged of how much fun they have with all the ploys they use to rape the customer. But then I made a friend who was sales manager at several SoCal dealerships over many years. The things he told me, I seriously doubt anyone reading this can imagine anything worse. Toyota, Lexus, BMW, you name it. He never worked at Porsche, but from what he's told me I would only give Porsche credit for being more sophisticated. In other words you are still raped, only with no clue its even happened.

Its why I LMAO every time I read comments about the dealer making a few grand here and there after discounts. LMAO.

Please people don't take this as scathing criticism of Porsche car salesmen. To say someone can take you to the cleaners, have their way with you in every way imaginable, maybe even pass you around let their friends get a piece, and yet leave you walking away happy feeling like YOU are the one who made out, well folks in the car business that is high praise, high praise indeed.
Old 07-15-2015, 09:54 PM
reuben991
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Go on chuck, give us a story
Old 07-15-2015, 10:03 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts
Default Porsche Dealers Aren't So Bad...

The short version of Chuckster's story. Very disturbing.

Beginning [quote=chuck911]

The guy I worked out with who bragged of how much fun they have with all the ploys they use to rape the customer. The things he told me, I seriously doubt anyone reading this can imagine anything worse. Toyota, Lexus, BMW, you name it. I would only give Porsche credit for being more sophisticated. In other words you are still raped, only with no clue its even happened.

To say someone can have their way with you in every way imaginable, maybe even pass you around let their friends get a piece, and yet leave you walking away happy feeling like YOU are the one who made out.

End /quote]

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Wow .. I had no clue.

What some guys will subject themselves to for a car allocation or a deal. I feel violated. Isn't this against the law?? Was this consensual?

Do the sophisticated Porsche guys slip you a date rape pill or something to give you no clue it ever happened?

Last edited by STG; 07-15-2015 at 10:19 PM.
Old 07-16-2015, 10:16 AM
ibmiked
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
....To say someone can take you to the cleaners, have their way with you in every way imaginable, maybe even pass you around let their friends get a piece, and yet leave you walking away happy feeling like YOU are the one who made out, well folks in the car business that is high praise, high praise indeed.
In every transaction there is a buyer and a seller. If the seller has something the buyer wants (not needs) and at a price the buyer is willing to pay, that is COMMERCE. The constant bashing about making a profit is disingenuous. Does anyone here work for or own a business that doesn't try and maximize it's own profits? Did we all sign some social compact that says we're only entitled to X percentage of profit in our transactions? Negotiate then buy or go home. No one is forcing anyone to buy a new car, and making money is not something dirty that should be disparaged.
Old 07-16-2015, 10:20 AM
sezme
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have no love for a specific dealership - but I follow the same General Manager from dealer to dealer. When I want a car, we spec it out together and then he sells it to me at a significant discount (10%). If I trade-in a car, I get great $$$. No hassle - no games - no trouble. Overall a pleasant experience.

My advice: Find a good SA or GM and follow them....
Old 07-16-2015, 10:59 AM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 414 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by sezme
I have no love for a specific dealership - but I follow the same General Manager from dealer to dealer. When I want a car, we spec it out together and then he sells it to me at a significant discount (10%). If I trade-in a car, I get great $$$. No hassle - no games - no trouble. Overall a pleasant experience.

My advice: Find a good SA or GM and follow them....
Good advice.

Frankly, the GM at my porsche dealer is a gem.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:19 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by ibmiked
In every transaction there is a buyer and a seller. If the seller has something the buyer wants (not needs) and at a price the buyer is willing to pay, that is COMMERCE. The constant bashing about making a profit is disingenuous. Does anyone here work for or own a business that doesn't try and maximize it's own profits? Did we all sign some social compact that says we're only entitled to X percentage of profit in our transactions? Negotiate then buy or go home. No one is forcing anyone to buy a new car, and making money is not something dirty that should be disparaged.

Exactly. And every time you meet a buyer of a new Porsche (or any car for that matter) who has paid near full MSRP (as most new car buyers do) you should buy them a coffee and kiss their *** in appreciation.

For every buyer who's getting a 4%, 6%, 8%, 10% (pick a number) discount, you need at least 10 buyers who are walking in and paying damn near sticker.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:28 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,874 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by ibmiked
Thank you.

As a small business owner myself (retail furniture store), I am constantly beat on by customers for 'a better deal'. I get that - everyone wants the best deal - but the fact is it costs a lot to run a business, and the margins can only get so low before the business becomes unhealthy and in danger of closing. Customers don't care if your business is doing well or not, they just want that price on an item.

I used to avoid driving my Porsche to work. So many crude comments about it from people coming in the store "Is that your Porsche in the parking lot? See, I knew I was over-paying for stuff in your store, all I can afford is a Volvo/Infiniti/Acura/Honda." They would actually get upset and leave. Nowdays I don't care - they can get over it or not, their choice. I worked my **** off at this business for 30 years x 6 days a week, every week. I earned it.

But I digress. Go work your best deal, nothing wrong with that. But don't beat on the salespeople and the dealers. Don't whine. That's when it gets old very quickly. If you can't get your price, suck it up and be a gentleman, and move on down the road to something you can afford or are willing to pay for.
Old 07-16-2015, 01:58 PM
thomnellie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do your research, calculate a reasonable price to pay that you can afford and start bargaining. If you can't get your price, or close enough to it (It's probably not worth blowing a deal over a couple of hundred bucks), walk away. If they can do better, they won't let you walk away. If you get what the research says is reasonable market value price, be happy.
Old 07-16-2015, 06:48 PM
Guzzgreg
Racer

Received 117 Likes on 66 Posts

Drcollie you are 100% correct. Businesses are entitled to make a profit of whatever they seem reasonable or even UNreasonable. As a consumer I can either choose to patronize your business or not. Everyone has the choice that's
the way it works here in the USA....for now anyway.

Having said that,here is the tactic they used in a BMW dealer (could be any car dealership though), where a good friend used to work many years ago.
Stunning sales women up front by the window...they used to giver her ALL guys that came in w/o their wives or girlfriends. She would inevitably close the deal almost all the time. When they came out of their trance the next day, and realized what they did they would make them come in to cancel the deal. When they entered the dealership, they would wait till they were seated with the 10 saleswomen, at that point someone In another office would call her. She would have this imaginary conversation on the phone and say something like" ok if she says no it's no sorry sir. At that point she turns to the guy seated in front of her waiting to cancel,and says " do you believe that, that guys wife won't LET HIM buy the car of his dreams. Some guys have to learn how to stand up to their wives". After which she would proceed to close the poor guy seated in front of her who didn't know what hit him. My buddy told me it worked more times than you would believe.

Quick Reply: Porsche Dealers Aren't So Bad...