Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sport+

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2015 | 09:58 PM
reuben991
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Michael15
PCA SDR at Qualcom. My 1st AX and I loved it and learned so much from my instructor!
Thanks, I'll definitely check this out next year.
Old 07-16-2015 | 01:56 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Which is why I've never used it. What I wasn't aware of was that sport+ did anything different than sport when you were in manual mode. I thought Sport already quickened the throttle response and sport+ only raised the shift points and maybe sped up shifts. So I figured that, once in manual mode, sport+ didn't do anything more.
I think both sport and sport+ have different maps for ECU, PDK, PASM & PSM
Old 07-16-2015 | 07:05 PM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I think both sport and sport+ have different maps for ECU, PDK, PASM & PSM

Don't think so.

PASM is only 2 modes. Comfort or sport.

PSM only has 2 settings too. Non sport mode and sport/sport+ mode (same).
Old 07-16-2015 | 08:13 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LexVan
Don't think so.

PASM is only 2 modes. Comfort or sport.

PSM only has 2 settings too. Non sport mode and sport/sport+ mode (same).
you misunderstand (and are therefore incorrect)...

you *are* correct that both have only two modes, however both modes are algorithmic in nature and dynamic, as such certain parametric components
of each mode are changed depending upon normal, sport or sport+.
Old 07-16-2015 | 08:30 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Here's what the Porsche website says. What it doesn't mention is anything about throttle response. I've been driving in manual Sport+ in my Cayman S (No PASM) the last two days (commuting in town) and I'm not certain I can feel a difference in throttle response. Will need to really stretch its legs to tell.

On activation of SPORT PLUS mode, Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) and, in the 911 Carrera S models, optional Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control (PDCC) switch to a harder damping setting and offer more direct steering and, therefore, better roadholding.
In SPORT PLUS mode, the trigger threshold for PSM is raised. Agility is perceptibly enhanced when braking for corners with PSM, allowing sportier braking and exit acceleration. For even greater dexterity, PSM can be set to standby while the car is still in SPORT PLUS mode. For safety, it is set to intervene automatically only when ABS assistance is required on both the front wheels.
In combination with PDK, the Sport Chrono Package has two additional functions for a sporty drive that borders on a motorsport experience. The first is ‘Launch Control’, which can be used on the track to achieve the best possible standing start – a racing start.

The second function is the ‘motorsport-derived gearshift strategy’. Using this, Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK) is geared up for extremely short shift times and optimum shift points for the maximum acceleration available. This combination of uncompromising and involving performance is ideal for the racetrack.
Old 07-16-2015 | 08:40 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Here's what the Porsche website says. What it doesn't mention is anything about throttle response. I've been driving in manual Sport+ in my Cayman S (No PASM) the last two days (commuting in town) and I'm not certain I can feel a difference in throttle response. Will need to really stretch its legs to tell.

On activation of SPORT PLUS mode, Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) and, in the 911 Carrera S models, optional Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control (PDCC) switch to a harder damping setting and offer more direct steering and, therefore, better roadholding.
In SPORT PLUS mode, the trigger threshold for PSM is raised. Agility is perceptibly enhanced when braking for corners with PSM, allowing sportier braking and exit acceleration. For even greater dexterity, PSM can be set to standby while the car is still in SPORT PLUS mode. For safety, it is set to intervene automatically only when ABS assistance is required on both the front wheels.
In combination with PDK, the Sport Chrono Package has two additional functions for a sporty drive that borders on a motorsport experience. The first is ‘Launch Control’, which can be used on the track to achieve the best possible standing start – a racing start.

The second function is the ‘motorsport-derived gearshift strategy’. Using this, Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK) is geared up for extremely short shift times and optimum shift points for the maximum acceleration available. This combination of uncompromising and involving performance is ideal for the racetrack.
thanks, this is pretty much marketing speak for these functions being algorithmic and having different 'constants'/'coefficients' based on the
mode selected

good question about ECU function in sport vs sport+ but we already know about the cooler oil temps which would suggest that...
Old 07-18-2015 | 09:56 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

So I spent a fair bit of time in the C2S today and, in manual mode, I can't tell any difference between Sport and Sport+, the throttle response feels the same, the shifts feel the same, etc. The only thing that is difference is that it automatically switches the Sport PASM to the sport setting (though you can manually switch it back to normal.)

Now that I'm spending some quality time in the Carrera, I can unequivocally say that the PDK in the Carrera shifts noticeably faster and smoother than my Cayman S, up or down.

Oh and PDCC is the mother scratching' shizznit. I looooovvvve it.
Old 07-18-2015 | 10:37 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Arch, when you say you can't feel any difference in the shifts, were you only shifting during moderate acceleration? Cuz when you're not hard on it, the shifts feel pretty much the same. But when you are WOT, or close to it, there is absolutely no mistaking the shift violence in Sport+ for the fast-but-still-gentle action of Sport. At least not in my SPASM'd, Sport Chrono'd GTS. It's the reason I just leave it in S+ Manual as my default setting as soon as I get in the car (without my wife, which is 99% of the time.) If you're nursing it along, or even giving it maybe 70% of WOT, it still shifts gently. But if you're going all out, it figures you want next gear NOW, and boy does it deliver.
Old 07-18-2015 | 10:53 PM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Arch, when you say you can't feel any difference in the shifts, were you only shifting during moderate acceleration? Cuz when you're not hard on it, the shifts feel pretty much the same. But when you are WOT, or close to it, there is absolutely no mistaking the shift violence in Sport+ for the fast-but-still-gentle action of Sport. At least not in my SPASM'd, Sport Chrono'd GTS. It's the reason I just leave it in S+ Manual as my default setting as soon as I get in the car (without my wife, which is 99% of the time.) If you're nursing it along, or even giving it maybe 70% of WOT, it still shifts gently. But if you're going all out, it figures you want next gear NOW, and boy does it deliver.
^^^^ that
Old 07-18-2015 | 10:58 PM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

My default is Sport and manual shifting of the PDK.

Sport + and manual when I want to get on it, but not all the time as I don't need my kidneys jiggled that much on some the roads we have.

Always manual though. So much so that, the few times I've left it in auto, I've forgotten and knocked it into neutral a couple of times.
Old 07-19-2015 | 01:17 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Yes, I'm not talking about WOT to redline, just spirited street driving. In those situations, the throttle response and shifting feels the same to me. Honestly the shifting feels lightning quick in Sport or Sport+ at any revs. The biggest thing I was looking for was different throttle mapping, and I don't feel that at all. That's also not mentioned on the Porsche site, so I'm assuming its the same in both modes, as long as you're in manual mode. Which BTW I am loving in the PDK, particularly using the stick instead of the paddles.
Old 07-19-2015 | 11:01 AM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Default Sport+

I stay in normal/automatic mode all the time. I like to get maximum MPG and never go over 3000 rpm. Sooooo relaxing in rush hour traffic!
Old 07-19-2015 | 11:26 AM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Default Sport+

I'm also glad we have the three modes. I'd like to see coasting function transferred from the auto start/stop switch to be the default normal (really "Econ" mode). It should have nothing to do with that stupid switch. My Honda coasts down hills and doesn't even have auto start stop.

Sport should be a little more aggressive than it is, although it does have a nice short term learning logic to it. If you get I it a bit, it biased towards almost sport plus like logic for a while. Econ mode does too but not as long.

Sport plus is perfect. I'm talking about PDK. if I had MT I see no reason to ever be in any other mode.
Old 07-19-2015 | 01:28 PM
thomnellie
Racer

Originally Posted by Bacura
I stay in normal/automatic mode all the time. I like to get maximum MPG and never go over 3000 rpm. Sooooo relaxing in rush hour traffic!
Tesla in your garage or coming soon?
Old 07-19-2015 | 01:41 PM
thomnellie
Racer

Interesting discussion. It would be nice if Porsche was clearer about how these functions actually operate, especially given that even with this additional clarification we still can't seem to agree on what happens when a button is pushed. Perhaps purchase of a 911 should come with a one hour in car instruction from a factory rep. Porsche sales reps are better than most, but still have no idea. One salesman tried to tell me that the right PDK button was for upshifts and the left for downshifts.

Quick Reply: Sport+