Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sport+

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2015 | 06:20 PM
thomnellie
Racer

Originally Posted by Chris3963
I personally don't see the attraction to Sport+ in auto mode. Manual mode, yes, I like it. In auto mode, no. As Chris Harris succinctly said, "forget Sport+ auto, that is when the car forgets how to change gear".

So while Sport+ has much better throttle response, in the end, the car doesn't accelerate any faster……and people who use it on the street should keep one very important thing in mind that it dramatically lowers the threshold at which the PSM kicks in to help you out…..by which time a lesser driver may already be in the wall.
Porsche disagrees with you on the doesn't accelerate faster point. The PSM threshold change is an important point and the reason why I had not used Sport+ until I had some miles on the car and had gone through the driving school. Also agree that it's not the preferred mode for driving on public streets. However, the occasional application is damned good fun when the roads are empty.
Old 07-14-2015 | 06:53 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by thomnellie
Porsche disagrees with you on the doesn't accelerate faster point. The PSM threshold change is an important point and the reason why I had not used Sport+ until I had some miles on the car and had gone through the driving school. Also agree that it's not the preferred mode for driving on public streets. However, the occasional application is damned good fun when the roads are empty.
The quoted faster acceleration is primarily a due to the LC feature in all out standing starts….but if you are just driving along in Sport and manually change down to say 3rd gear and accelerate hard and then do the same thing in Sport+, you will not be any faster.
Old 07-14-2015 | 07:03 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mmaturo
This is officially the first car with an auto of any type that I need to use the paddles a good amount. The sport mode is not enough to me to keep the revs up and still not holding gears a little more if I need extra power to do something... so paddles it is or a kick down with the quick tap on the gas. I do need to try the sport + more I suppose but I don't need it to hold all the way to redline...it would have been nice if sport mode was more in between normal and sport +. Having a track oriented R8 and two other RS Audi cars in the garage I am finding with the responsiveness of the p-car left to its own mind it is certainly doing its best to save gas. I don't like to save gas.
At last, a kindred spirit!
Old 07-14-2015 | 08:39 PM
Scottish Pete
Racer

Sport Plus with the harder shifts is fun around town, but you need to move the shift lever to the left into manual mode.
That lets you shift well before the redline shift if left in Sport Plus Auto mode . . . as well as prevents the abrupt auto mode downshifts when you drop below 4,000 rpm or so. Just have to remember to click the paddle down a few gears after slowing down in traffic or it will actually lug at low rpm without shifting if speeding back up under only light to medium throttle.
Old 07-14-2015 | 08:45 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Originally Posted by Grunty
Sport plus makes zero sense outside a track day environment.
So not true for me. I have never driven mine, from Day 1, not in Sport Plus.* Not for one mile. But, I have also never driven it in "automatic." It is always being shifted by me. I can't imagine enjoying it in automatic mode, cuz I get bored. I want to control the sound, the shift points, the timing of shifts.

So for me, the perfect around-town mode is Sport + with shocks turned off, and the perfect mountain twisties mode is Sport +.

*Just remembered, once I'm on the interstate and done accelerating, I drop to Sport so I have 7th gear available.
Old 07-14-2015 | 10:28 PM
mrhamamg
Racer

i love sport plus! can't believe some of you guys dont use it, although as others have said dont let the car shift for itself and take control with the paddles or you'll be hanging out at 6500 rpm all day long
Old 07-15-2015 | 05:43 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
So not true for me. I have never driven mine, from Day 1, not in Sport Plus.* Not for one mile. But, I have also never driven it in "automatic." It is always being shifted by me. I can't imagine enjoying it in automatic mode, cuz I get bored. I want to control the sound, the shift points, the timing of shifts.

So for me, the perfect around-town mode is Sport + with shocks turned off, and the perfect mountain twisties mode is Sport +.

*Just remembered, once I'm on the interstate and done accelerating, I drop to Sport so I have 7th gear available.
+1
Old 07-15-2015 | 05:46 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Scottish Pete
Sport Plus with the harder shifts is fun around town, but you need to move the shift lever to the left into manual mode.
That lets you shift well before the redline shift if left in Sport Plus Auto mode . . . as well as prevents the abrupt auto mode downshifts when you drop below 4,000 rpm or so. Just have to remember to click the paddle down a few gears after slowing down in traffic or it will actually lug at low rpm without shifting if speeding back up under only light to medium throttle.
do you have to move the shifter over into +/- manual mode for this or will the car simply tell you are in control after flipping the paddles some?

Does that also defeat kick/blip down on the accelerator too??
Old 07-15-2015 | 05:53 PM
thomnellie
Racer

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker

Sounds like a good plan. Will give it a go.
Old 07-15-2015 | 06:39 PM
Cheekymonkeyman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
do you have to move the shifter over into +/- manual mode for this or will the car simply tell you are in control after flipping the paddles some? Does that also defeat kick/blip down on the accelerator too??
Yes indeed - you do need to shift the lever left otherwise it will 'resume service as normal' (I.e automatic selection) after a very small number of seconds of the last manual override. I actually find this mode quite useful when taking long steady motorway journeys in auto.... Come up on some slow traffic... Blip the paddles down a few gears to override the auto then speed up when it clears... Leaving the AI to kick back in and save my license. I believe the 'return to full auto' period is a function of the throttle / driving pattern... Waiting for a more steady state style/speed before re engaging. That said it is typically much quicker to return than my other cars... Not particularly well suited to my style... Hence why I always put it into manual selection on normal non-motorway journeys... I'm sure you're going to love analysing the algorithms larry

The less intrusive safety systems in sport + are also very real.... I found my heart beat step up a few notches coming out of a roundabout under modest throttle a few months back.... Took me a while to figure why the back end had gone out so far... Felt like I was back in my rwd amg! Just goes to show how 'active' they are in normal and sport modes ... Nothing more than a twitch !

One point where auto in sport + could make sense without the silly redlining continuously is on spirited driving constantly above 40mph without stop/starts. Above this speed the sport + mapping doesn't redline but rather takes an assertive change rpm... Somewhere around 5k... And kick down is much more responsive. At these higher speeds it all makes wonderful sense... At lower speeds I just flick to manual mode in sport usually for the 'softer' changes.
Old 07-15-2015 | 07:21 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cheekymonkeyman
Yes indeed - you do need to shift the lever left otherwise it will 'resume service as normal' (I.e automatic selection) after a very small number of seconds of the last manual override.
Yes I notice that while driving in Germany...

I actually find this mode quite useful when taking long steady motorway journeys in auto.... Come up on some slow traffic... Blip the paddles down a few gears to override the auto then speed up when it clears... Leaving the AI to kick back in and save my license. I believe the 'return to full auto' period is a function of the throttle / driving pattern... Waiting for a more steady state style/speed before re engaging. That said it is typically much quicker to return than my other cars... Not particularly well suited to my style... Hence why I always put it into manual selection on normal non-motorway journeys... I'm sure you're going to love analysing the algorithms larry
Yes I noticed that while lapping that it seemed to stay in the gear I selected longer ....

The less intrusive safety systems in sport + are also very real.... I found my heart beat step up a few notches coming out of a roundabout under modest throttle a few months back.... Took me a while to figure why the back end had gone out so far... Felt like I was back in my rwd amg! Just goes to show how 'active' they are in normal and sport modes ... Nothing more than a twitch !

One point where auto in sport + could make sense without the silly redlining continuously is on spirited driving constantly above 40mph without stop/starts. Above this speed the sport + mapping doesn't redline but rather takes an assertive change rpm... Somewhere around 5k... And kick down is much more responsive. At these higher speeds it all makes wonderful sense... At lower speeds I just flick to manual mode in sport usually for the 'softer' changes.
I agree ... that's exactly how it should behave!
Old 07-15-2015 | 07:21 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
normal short shifts around 2500, sport around 3500, sport+ at the redline!
Which is why I've never used it. What I wasn't aware of was that sport+ did anything different than sport when you were in manual mode. I thought Sport already quickened the throttle response and sport+ only raised the shift points and maybe sped up shifts. So I figured that, once in manual mode, sport+ didn't do anything more.
Old 07-15-2015 | 08:02 PM
Michael15
Instructor

Unhappy

I used Sport+ for the 1st time last weekend at the local autocross event. I did the first practice session in sport mode and then the next practice session in sport+. I did all 4 timed laps in sport + and set my fastest time on the last lap. I doubt I'll use the + much on normal street driving but for sure on track days!
Old 07-15-2015 | 08:05 PM
reuben991
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Michael15
I used Sport+ for the 1st time last weekend at the local autocross event. I did the first practice session in sport mode and then the next practice session in sport+. I did all 4 timed laps in sport + and set my fastest time on the last lap. I doubt I'll use the + much on normal street driving but for sure on track days!
Michael, which autocross event was this?
Old 07-15-2015 | 08:10 PM
Michael15
Instructor

Originally Posted by reuben991
Michael, which autocross event was this?
PCA SDR at Qualcom. My 1st AX and I loved it and learned so much from my instructor!

Quick Reply: Sport+