Sponsored by:

Driver seat bolster wear

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 10:41 PM
benjiexpress
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=drcollie;12429171]I believe you missed the sarcasm......lol

I'm in the leather furniture business. For more than you probably ever want to know about leather wear and repair, you can read a few threads here if you like

drcollie,
I did read your blog posts when I bought the leather recliner last year. Actually I have learned a lot from your posts. Until then I thought all leathers are the same. Quick question. Do you know what grade/type leather the base leather seats are? Aniline? Semi aniline or by cast? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-14-2015, 12:02 AM
lunarx
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bents
Any idea what this costs?
Not too bad, since the Bolster Cover is separate from the Middle Cover.

http://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/au...omponents-scat

Depending which Seat you have, it looks like Bolster Covers range from about $830 to $1550. (Expresso and Red being the most expensive).
Old 07-14-2015, 01:40 AM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Received 4,350 Likes on 1,523 Posts

[QUOTE=benjiexpress;12429660]
Originally Posted by drcollie
I did read your blog posts when I bought the leather recliner last year. Actually I have learned a lot from your posts. Until then I thought all leathers are the same. Quick question. Do you know what grade/type leather the base leather seats are? Aniline? Semi aniline or by cast? Thanks in advance.
All automotive interiors I have ever seen are Finished leather, with certain brands like Bentley, Rolls, Aston Martin using a semi-aniline. The only pure aniline I have ever seen in a factory vehicle is the Ford F series truck "King Ranch" series. Pure anilines can't take the UV rays from the sunlight, so they fade rapidly and quickly. If you look at the new Indian motorcycles, they used a pure aniline for the old school look and they fade out badly in about a year.

Bi-Cast is not a real leather, it's a reconstituted product from leather scraps that is more plastic than real hide. No car maker would ever use that, only Costco sofas!
Old 07-14-2015, 09:06 AM
Key Left
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE=drcollie;12430069]
Originally Posted by benjiexpress

All automotive interiors I have ever seen are Finished leather, with certain brands like Bentley, Rolls, Aston Martin using a semi-aniline. The only pure aniline I have ever seen in a factory vehicle is the Ford F series truck "King Ranch" series. Pure anilines can't take the UV rays from the sunlight, so they fade rapidly and quickly. If you look at the new Indian motorcycles, they used a pure aniline for the old school look and they fade out badly in about a year.
real
Bi-Cast is not a real leather, it's a reconstituted product from leather scraps that is more plastic than real hide. No car maker would ever use that, only Costco sofas!
As an aside, how can one tell real leather from vinyl? I think Porsche uses vinyl on the base seat side but it sure looks like leather. Porsche owns Recaro, so they must know seats, well.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:51 AM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Some of the vinyls (which is a plastic when all is said and done) are really, really good. Especially the high end medical-grade ones. There is no leather used in any medical office application as leather saturates with liquid and you can't have that in the medical biz, so any hospital or medical office you go into and think you might be sitting on leather - its actually some grade of vinyl.

When leathers come through a tannery, they are graded out. Only 6% of all hides worldwide are 'clean' enough to become pure aniline (which is not used in car interiors due to its inability to withstand sunlight and not fade) so some amount of 'correction' is needed to the hides. That means sanding. When you sand out the imperfections you destroy the grain pattern, which is then embossed back into the hide during the finishing process after its been tumbled and tanned. Then the leather is painted atop the embossing. We refer to this hide with a number names, among them : Finished. Painted, Corrected, Protected, Pigmented.

Because its been embossed and painted, it can be very hard to tell the difference between a highly worked leather and a vinyl, because it too has been embossed and painted. Only the core material is different, one being plastic the other an animal skin. So a high grade vinyl can look about the same as a cheap leather, even us pros have to look twice to see the difference sometimes.

As your leather gets better in quality, they can become a semi-aniline, which is hybrid between a pure aniline and a finished leather. A semi-aniline requires less sanding, and the base hide is dyed with a pigmented top coat. This is usually the upgraded, optional hide in fine automobiles that you pay extra for. Its still not a 'pure' leather like a full aniline, but is usually much nicer than the base finished leather.

Yes, the base leather in a Porsche is a decent finished hide, and anywhere your hand generally touches is leather, the rest like the sides of the seats is vinyl as are parts of the door panels and dash. I'm always amused by this cheap shortcut in a $ 100,000 car, it probably saves Porsche about $ 15 a seat to cover those panels in vinyl rather than the same leather used on the seating surfaces. A Honda Civic I can see that in, but that's a bit rude in a car with a 6 digit price tag. Only real reason I think they do it is to upsell you on the full leather option.

Duane

Last edited by drcollie; 07-14-2015 at 06:19 PM.
Old 07-14-2015, 05:15 PM
Key Left
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Some of the vinyls (which is a plastic when all is said and done) are really, really good. Especially the high end medical-grade ones. There is no leather used in any medical office application as leather saturates with liquid and you can't have that in the medical biz, so any hospital or medical office you go into and think you might be sitting on leather - its actually some grade of vinyl.

When leathers come through a tannery, they are graded out. Only 6% of all hides worldwide are 'clean' enough to become pure aniline (which is not used in car interiors due to its inability to withstand sunlight and not fade) so some amount of 'correction' is needed to the hides. That means sanding. When you sand out the imperfections you destroy the grain pattern, which is them embossed back into the hide during the finishing process after its been tumbled and tanned. Then the leather is painted atop the embossing. We refer to this hide with a number names, among them : Finished. Painted, Corrected, Protected, Pigmented.

Because its been embossed and painted, it can be very hard to tell the difference between a highly worked leather and a vinyl, because it too has been embossed and painted. Only the core material is different, one being plastic the other an animal skin. So a high grade vinyl can look about the same as a cheap leather, even us pros have to look twice to see the difference sometimes.

As your leather gets better in quality, they can become a semi-aniline, which is hybrid between a pure aniline and a finished leather. A semi-aniline requires less sanding, and the base hide is dyed with a pigmented top coat. This is usually the upgraded, optional hide in fine automobiles that you pay extra for. Its still not a 'pure' leather like a full aniline, but is usually much nicer than the base finished leather.

Yes, the base leather in a Porsche is a decent finished hide, and anywhere your hand generally touches is leather, the rest like the sides of the seats is vinyl as are parts of the door panels and dash. I'm always amused by this cheap shortcut in a $ 100,000 car, it probably saves Porsche about $ 15 a seat to cover those panels in vinyl rather than the same leather used on the seating surfaces. A Honda Civic I can see that in, but that's a bit rude in a car with a 6 digit price tag. Only real reason I think they do it is to upsell you on the full leather option.

Duane
Thanks. Great explanation.
Old 07-15-2015, 12:23 AM
porscherex
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Some of the vinyls (which is a plastic when all is said and done) are really, really good. Especially the high end medical-grade ones. There is no leather used in any medical office application as leather saturates with liquid and you can't have that in the medical biz, so any hospital or medical office you go into and think you might be sitting on leather - its actually some grade of vinyl. When leathers come through a tannery, they are graded out. Only 6% of all hides worldwide are 'clean' enough to become pure aniline (which is not used in car interiors due to its inability to withstand sunlight and not fade) so some amount of 'correction' is needed to the hides. That means sanding. When you sand out the imperfections you destroy the grain pattern, which is then embossed back into the hide during the finishing process after its been tumbled and tanned. Then the leather is painted atop the embossing. We refer to this hide with a number names, among them : Finished. Painted, Corrected, Protected, Pigmented. Because its been embossed and painted, it can be very hard to tell the difference between a highly worked leather and a vinyl, because it too has been embossed and painted. Only the core material is different, one being plastic the other an animal skin. So a high grade vinyl can look about the same as a cheap leather, even us pros have to look twice to see the difference sometimes. As your leather gets better in quality, they can become a semi-aniline, which is hybrid between a pure aniline and a finished leather. A semi-aniline requires less sanding, and the base hide is dyed with a pigmented top coat. This is usually the upgraded, optional hide in fine automobiles that you pay extra for. Its still not a 'pure' leather like a full aniline, but is usually much nicer than the base finished leather. Yes, the base leather in a Porsche is a decent finished hide, and anywhere your hand generally touches is leather, the rest like the sides of the seats is vinyl as are parts of the door panels and dash. I'm always amused by this cheap shortcut in a $ 100,000 car, it probably saves Porsche about $ 15 a seat to cover those panels in vinyl rather than the same leather used on the seating surfaces. A Honda Civic I can see that in, but that's a bit rude in a car with a 6 digit price tag. Only real reason I think they do it is to upsell you on the full leather option. Duane
I have verified from Porsche (Melissa Witech in Porsche Exclusive) that the "natural" leathers (Espresso, Carrera Red and Cognac) are semi-aniline. I am trying to figure out the best products/methods to keep my Espresso interior looking great as it does now. As you mentioned, protected (finished) leather is vinyl and should be cleaned as such. But semi-aniline is closer to aniline than to protected and needs to be maintained in a different manner than protected leather.
Old 07-15-2015, 01:26 AM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by porscherex
But semi-aniline is closer to aniline than to protected and needs to be maintained in a different manner than protected leather.
Sorry, but I respectfully disagree. Here's is the best leather maintenance system in the trade (and probably the most costly). This is what I use on my car interiors including my Porsche and my wife's SQ5 Audi with the semi-aniline upgraded hides, and all my home furniture as well.

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...oning-Protocol

Finished and Semi-Aniline hides are top-coated, and have identical treatment protocols. There is no difference in the way you care for them.

Pure Anilines use the same chemicals but should be used with a hair dryer during the cleaning phase to avoid a possible water saturation stain. Because a pure aniline has no topcoat (or at best a light Teflon topcoat) they will absorb liquids at a quick rate, hence the hair dryer. There is a sub-class of pure aniline hides called "Pull-Up" leather and those get a special oil and wax final coat depending on how they are finished.

All are water-based product.

Quick Reply: Driver seat bolster wear