Sponsored by:

Leather Question - Cleaning Porsche Natural Leather

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 11:10 AM
porscherex
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Leather Question - Cleaning Porsche Natural Leather

I'm trying to figure out how to properly care for my Espresso natural leather interior. I have read all posts on here (at least the ones I could find) about the various grades of leathers Porsche uses. That is not my question. My question can be framed by the following quote from a detailing website that is echoed by virtually all detailing sites.

"The simple fact is that the majority of leather used in today’s automobiles is protected leather – this type of leather has a pigmented ‘color coat’ with a polyurethane/acrylate ‘top coat’ specifically designed for automotive applications."

Protected leather is essence has a plastic coating where unprotected leather does not. This makes a difference as to how the leather is cleaned and conditioned. If the leather has a plastic coating one is cleaning and "conditioning" plastic not leather (this is how Adam's Polishes and some other sites describe it), and therefore conditioners will not get past the plastic into the leather. If the leather is not coated, then a leather cleaning and leather conditioner should be used. To make it even more confusing, at least one site states that the plastic coating has micro permeations that allow a liquid conditioner through but not a cream conditioner. (My head hurts.)

My question is this: are Porsche's present natural leathers (Espresso, Carrera Red and Cognac) coated or not? I asked Porsche directly (through a receptionist who "looked into it") and was told the natural leathers are not coated. However, after looking into things a little more, I am not so sure that is the correct answer. I have concluded (rightfully or wrongfully) that the Porsche "non-natural" leather interiors including "full" leather interiors are coated.

My salesman did not know the answer, and he is asking around including Melissa Witek with Porsche Exclusive. I will post what I find.

There are so many knowable people on this site. Any insight to the issue would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 09-22-2015, 12:58 AM
viperz06
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the sakes questions. What did you find out??
Old 09-22-2015, 11:55 AM
MACH 86
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

Recently I have read an article on the Porsche Natural Leather option. Don't remember where the article was but after reading it I wish I had that optional leather. With the little I know I only know one thing. That is I would get the Porsche product for THAT leather. Sold BY PORSCHE By the way does anybody know what the back side of Naugahyde is? Rumor has it that it is Alcantara.
Old 09-22-2015, 05:29 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

The Porsche Cleaner is fine. However, as a system to clean, protect, maintain with the original matte/low sheen look, I suggest Leather Master (Soft Cleaner, Vital, Protection Cream. Kit available HERE.

This video deals with LM's cleaner and protecting cream:

Here's a tutorial by one of our own RL Members using the Leather Master system:

P.S. - For a long time I used Sonus and that is a good product. I suspect though that Sonus is a private label, repackaging Leather Master products. Sonus offers Vital and other Protection Cream variants, such as a specific Protection Cream Matte (sold only by www.uniters.com).
Old 09-22-2015, 05:31 PM
Guzzgreg
Racer

Received 122 Likes on 69 Posts

Alcantara is simply a synthetic also known as ultrasuede.
Old 09-22-2015, 05:38 PM
Dangelus
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A few thoughts from my experience as a PCA and local concours judge -

All Porsche leather requires cleaning and conditioning on a regular basis (every 4-6 weeks; more frequently if top down).

Don't worry about product selection; most are excellent these days. My favorites are Lexol, Griots Garage, and Leather Therapy.

The key is remembering that less product is better. When applied, if it looks streaky, wipe with a clean micro fiber towel. Most folks apply way to much of both products.

For Alcantera (like on my GTS), don't use leather cleaner or conditioner. Water on a micro fiber towel is all that's needed; for tough spots, mild soap is fine.
Old 09-22-2015, 05:55 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Matt just did a review on a new Alcantara cleaner. Talks about leather too I believe.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...ournal-52.html
Old 09-22-2015, 05:58 PM
windboat
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Guzzgreg
Alcantara is simply a synthetic also known as ultrasuede.
I think I owned a ultrasuede sport coat 20 years ago 🙈🙈🙈
Old 09-22-2015, 08:11 PM
Tony007
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Porsche leather is semi aniline dyed leather. It will absorb oils from your skin as well as water. I highly recommend leather cleaner and leather conditioner which feeds natural leather oils back into the hide. If you are using correct products then you will simply not be able to distinguish a brand new piece of leather from one that had the products applied. The color and matte finish (once absorbed and dried) will be absolutely identical. I personally use nubuck leather cleaner and nubuck leather conditioner from leathermagic.com

They are from the leather industry. I have never seen products of their equal in my life.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:32 PM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 72 Posts

+1000 on Leather Magic.

I also got conditioner and cleaner directly from Maserati - that stuff is sick - very similar composition to leather magic which has aloe.

Take a look at the ingredients of your conditioners and cleaners. If you feel comfortable putting it in your skin and can understand the ingredients without a Ph.D., you're on the right track .
Old 09-22-2015, 10:02 PM
trucheli
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I've done the factory tour and they go over their leather selection using around 13 young cows per vehicle in order to get the best leather possible. I saw a table full of leather pieces already dyed and ready to be cut and I can tell you from experience that Porsche leather is not coated in any way. You can tell by looking at it, there is no shine to it. Therefore, it needs to be cleaned regularly and conditioned to keep it in pristine condition. As a cleaner I like 1 Einszett Leather Care
http://www.1z-usa.com/products/leath...derpflege.html
1 Einzszett doesn't change the natural look and doesn't add any shine to it. I top it off with Leather Masters Conditioner.
Old 09-22-2015, 11:32 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

I have been using Zaino's Leather Soft Spray Cleaner and Leather in a Bottle.
Old 09-23-2015, 01:06 AM
porscherex
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by trucheli
I've done the factory tour and they go over their leather selection using around 13 young cows per vehicle in order to get the best leather possible. I saw a table full of leather pieces already dyed and ready to be cut and I can tell you from experience that Porsche leather is not coated in any way. You can tell by looking at it, there is no shine to it. Therefore, it needs to be cleaned regularly and conditioned to keep it in pristine condition. As a cleaner I like 1 Einszett Leather Care http://www.1z-usa.com/products/leath...derpflege.html 1 Einzszett doesn't change the natural look and doesn't add any shine to it. I top it off with Leather Masters Conditioner.
All Porsche leather has a vinyl coating. "Regular" Porsche leather is a "processed" leather - stretched, scraped, dyed, embossed (pressed with a pattern) and coated for protection. It is vinyl coated leather that should be cleaned and maintained like vinyl. "Natural" Porsche leather is a semi-aniline leather (this from Porsche and from Melissa Witeck, Porsche Exclusive). Aniline leather is not stretched, scraped or embossed. It is carefully dyed to preserve the natural markings, and is not coated. Virtually no cars today have this type of leather. Since it is not coated, aniline leather is susceptible to stains (water, body oils, etc) - very difficult to maintain. Porsche's natural leather is semi-aniline - aniline leather with a thin polyurethane coating for stain protection. Semi-aniline leather is neither fish nor fowl. Should it be maintained like vinyl leather since it has a polyurethane coating (as some would say) or unprotected leather (as some would say)? Your thoughts are appreciated.
Old 09-23-2015, 04:06 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,186 Likes on 1,477 Posts

Sorry, you guys are not correct on this....I have posted at length on this topic and not going to re-type it all, do a search and you will find the correct information if you want to know the ins and outs of leather (I am a leather professional)
Old 09-23-2015, 05:27 PM
benjiexpress
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
Sorry, you guys are not correct on this....I have posted at length on this topic and not going to re-type it all, do a search and you will find the correct information if you want to know the ins and outs of leather (I am a leather professional)
Drcollie,
I have came across your blog few years ago while I was searching information online to learn about leather for our recliner purchase and I actually ended up buying leather recliner based off great information I have obtained from your blog. Few years later I have found you were the blogger. Small world.

Quick Reply: Leather Question - Cleaning Porsche Natural Leather