Sponsored by:

Premium Package Plus Worth It?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 01:55 AM
SHLA
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Premium Package Plus Worth It?

Looking at 2013 991S and it only has Premium Package, so no Entry and Drive, no Light Design, no AC Ventilated Seats, nor park distance control. It's still a $129k build though for a good price.

Anyone not have these couple options and miss them? Any other input?
Old 06-22-2015, 02:07 AM
drmatara
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have Premium Package on mine and I don't miss any of the extra things that come with the + (mine is a cab and automatically has rear park distance control)
Old 06-22-2015, 02:21 AM
systemr
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

vented seats are really useful, and I like the entry and drive feature a lot. light design and park distance control not so useful.
Old 06-22-2015, 07:41 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

I love all the Plus features. The main one I'd miss would be ventilated seats. That's a must have now.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:43 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

I don't have Plus, but I added front/rear park sensors, and seat ventilation. Both are wonderful features: in ATL vented seats significantly change the way my shirts smell in the summer, no kidding. And I find the 991 to be much, much harder to know where the corners are than previous Porsche's I've had, so I really utilize the parking radar. I almost always find an end-space in a parking lot, and then like to hover over as close as I can get to the curbing. This usually winds up being the pax side for some reason, and I have no idea where my wheels are, especially the giant rears poked way out there with a GTS. And pulling in, the mirror isn't tilted down. So I use the parking radar to ensure I get pretty close but don't scrape.

I think I saved about $800 MSRP by adding the options in separately and avoiding the Plus package. But honestly, it wasn't the 8 Benjamins -- I despise entry-and-drive on other cars, and just prefer a key I have to push buttons on when I get close to the car. So avoiding it was my main objective and I was very pleased that Porsche allowed me to get the options I wanted without having to bundle them with one I very much wanted to avoid.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:03 AM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

As mentioned above, no options on the "plus" are mandatory unless like Lex said, ventilated seats. If you are looking at a cab and/or black interior, then they are really nice! My $.02
Old 06-22-2015, 10:33 AM
991999R
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have all of those except PDC...don't miss it. i came up with a cheaper fix and cut a few tires in half and duct taped around the front and rear. i just park by feel now
Old 06-22-2015, 11:25 AM
Sharm
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 42 Posts

I ordered premium package plus with my Targa 4S. My opinion:

Seat ventilation. In hotter climes a desirable option. In hotter climes with an open top car a very desirable option. I agree with the above that in the summer turning it on decreases the amount that I sweat. Is it an absolute must have? You can probably live without it if in a pinch if needed.

Entry & Drive. This should be a standard feature on a $100k plus car but who am I to complain. This one is a little about vanity and a little about utility. Anecdotally, just yesterday I was picking up a pizza and driving home in my 911. Now I would never put a large pie in my leather upholstered cabin, so I decided to put it safely in the front boot when I realized both my hands were occupied with carrying things (I was also carrying a soda in my other hand). So I just waved my hand in front of the crest and it popped open without having to fumble like a buffoon for my keys in my pocket in front of a spectator. That would've not been cool. YMMV. Also, just coming up to your car and opening the door is an appreciated convenience.

Light design pckg. Tbh, I probably wouldn't have known this was an option installed on my car unless I didn't order it as part of the plus package. It does add a measure of coolness to the interior, especially the overhead console LED, but definitely not something you would miss or should order separately.

Btw, I could be mistaken but the parking sensors are not part of the premium package last I checked.
Old 06-22-2015, 12:20 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

^^ But it's my understanding that you still have to get a hand free to release the latch and lift the frunk-lid, right? It's not a purely automatic thing with a motor that raises your frunklid, is it? If that's the case, then it wouldn't be of any extra value to me, even in those situations. If hands are full, I can't work that trunk latch. If hands are free enough to work the trunk latch, I can work the key button then the trunk latch.

But again, I come at it with a big bias against these things, from my experiences with various cars and SUVs that have it. I'll avoid them in the future as long as that can be done. They're too easily fooled into doing what I don't want, and not doing what I do want. YMMV, as always!

Cheers.
Old 06-22-2015, 01:27 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,598 Likes on 2,341 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
I don't have Plus, but I added front/rear park sensors, and seat ventilation. Both are wonderful features: in ATL vented seats significantly change the way my shirts smell in the summer, no kidding. And I find the 991 to be much, much harder to know where the corners are than previous Porsche's I've had, so I really utilize the parking radar. I almost always find an end-space in a parking lot, and then like to hover over as close as I can get to the curbing. This usually winds up being the pax side for some reason, and I have no idea where my wheels are, especially the giant rears poked way out there with a GTS. And pulling in, the mirror isn't tilted down. So I use the parking radar to ensure I get pretty close but don't scrape.

I think I saved about $800 MSRP by adding the options in separately and avoiding the Plus package. But honestly, it wasn't the 8 Benjamins -- I despise entry-and-drive on other cars, and just prefer a key I have to push buttons on when I get close to the car. So avoiding it was my main objective and I was very pleased that Porsche allowed me to get the options I wanted without having to bundle them with one I very much wanted to avoid.
+1!!!
Old 06-22-2015, 01:29 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

^^ But it's my understanding that you still have to get a hand free to release the latch and lift the frunk-lid, right? It's not a purely automatic thing with a motor that raises your frunklid, is it? If that's the case, then it wouldn't be of any extra value to me, even in those situations. If hands are full, I can't work that trunk latch. If hands are free enough to work the trunk latch, I can work the key button then the trunk latch.

But again, I come at it with a big bias against these things, from my experiences with various cars and SUVs that have it. I'll avoid them in the future as long as that can be done. They're too easily fooled into doing what I don't want, and not doing what I do want. YMMV, as always!

Cheers.
I'm with you on that, the keyless entry on my (now departed) X5 annoyed me SO much I dented one of the doors in frustration with the f*cking thing...
and it felt GOOD! (for a moment at least)
Old 06-22-2015, 01:37 PM
Yard Dog
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The entry and drive on the Porsche is a little goofy. I like being able to walk up to the car and open the door without the key and have enjoyed it with other cars, but in other cars there is usually a starter button whereas in the Porsche there is a key permanently installed where the key would normally go and it bugs me because I think I should remove it when I turn the ignition off and then I have this nagging feeling that something is wrong when I get out of the car and leave the "key" in it. Stupid, I know, and probably a problem for only one person in the universe, but you could be the second one and I would feel terrible if I didn't warn you. I wouldn't miss it or any of the other items on the plus list except seat ventilation.
Old 06-22-2015, 01:38 PM
991TurboS
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cheers.
Porsche would never make the front trunk lid a purely automatic release. They would always have a final manual latch release for safety sake. Can you imagine a malfunction at 75MPH and your frunk lid goes flying up in your face and you wreck? The liability issues for Porsche would be unbelievable.

My DD is a 2015 RX350 F-Sport, and it is keyless entry and drive, so I transitioned to it pretty easily after owning the TurboS with it prior to buying the RX350. Each system has its own idiosyncrasies.

What I really dislike are the computer mousepad based interfaces in cars nowadays. I consider it a minor miracle you could still get a 6 disc in dash CD player with the Porsche Burmeister stereo.
Old 06-22-2015, 01:43 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Yard Dog
The entry and drive on the Porsche is a little goofy. I like being able to walk up to the car and open the door without the key and have enjoyed it with other cars, but in other cars there is usually a starter button whereas in the Porsche there is a key permanently installed where the key would normally go and it bugs me because I think I should remove it when I turn the ignition off and then I have this nagging feeling that something is wrong when I get out of the car and leave the "key" in it. Stupid, I know, and probably a problem for only one person in the universe, but you could be the second one and I would feel terrible if I didn't warn you. I wouldn't miss it or any of the other items on the plus list except seat ventilation.
you can pull the "dummy key" out and use the "real" key if you like
Old 06-22-2015, 02:16 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,096 Likes on 655 Posts

I like the entry and drive well enough, but wouldn't want a car that had ventilated seats available and didn't have them. They work pretty darn well.

Quick Reply: Premium Package Plus Worth It?