Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Premium Package Plus Worth It?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 09:43 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 359 Posts

And I forgot to give my answer to OP's original question, although I see there has never been a follow-up past the initial post. ? In any case, PP+ was on my would-really-like-to-have list when I was CPO shopping. For these reasons, to me...

Automatically Dimming Mirrors - Why is this still even an option?!

Seat Heating (front) - I'm in Texas and used to not being cold - These warm me quickly and sometimes are useful when I want the windows open but its cool outside... keeps me from getting cold.

Seat Ventilation (front) - Again - I'm in Texas - Prevents a sweaty back. A nearly must-have.

Porsche Entry & Drive - I've had this on other cars for so long it seems archaic to pull out a key to me. I first had this on a 1996 Corvette. As kayjh states, it's really handy not to have to dig in a pocket. Once more - I'm in Texas and I am almost always wearing jeans. Digging things out of jean pockets isn't always the easiest.

Light Design Package - Not a must-have... but pretty lights! Their hue feels right for a modern car. No worries about finding the right LED light set like so many of the 997 forums.

Bi-Xenon™ Headlights incl. Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS) - I was targeting a car with LED headlights and found it.... but if I hadn't I would have preferred the PDLS Bi-Xenon's. Here you find the only thing that didn't matter to me, headlight cleaners.... we don't get snow here and I don't let the car get that dirty, so no benefit.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:17 AM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 791 Likes on 293 Posts

StormRune: thanks - I think that's pretty much it.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:30 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
Automatically Dimming Mirrors - Why is this still even an option?!
See, exactly what I'm talking about. To you it's such a must-have you can't even understand why it's not forced on everybody. For me, it's an annoyance that takes away yet another thing I like to control. I want to decide when the lights behind me are so bright that I'd rather darken my mirror and envelope everything but those headlights into total darkness, and when they're not so bright as to be a distraction and I want to have the better mirror without the tinting. Same with automatic high beam dimming on your own lights -- have it in the spousal SUV and I figured out how to deprogram it because it's not nearly as good as me at figuring out when I want high beams and when I want to dim them. And the list goes on and on.

Not arguing with you about whether this feature is good or not -- the point is, it's great that if you think it's good you can have it, and if I don't I can avoid it, and we can BOTH still get heated and cooled seats.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:04 AM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Received 2,219 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
See, exactly what I'm talking about. To you it's such a must-have you can't even understand why it's not forced on everybody. For me, it's an annoyance that takes away yet another thing I like to control. I want to decide when the lights behind me are so bright that I'd rather darken my mirror and envelope everything but those headlights into total darkness, and when they're not so bright as to be a distraction and I want to have the better mirror without the tinting. Same with automatic high beam dimming on your own lights -- have it in the spousal SUV and I figured out how to deprogram it because it's not nearly as good as me at figuring out when I want high beams and when I want to dim them. And the list goes on and on.

Not arguing with you about whether this feature is good or not -- the point is, it's great that if you think it's good you can have it, and if I don't I can avoid it, and we can BOTH still get heated and cooled seats.
I am with you on the automatic rear view mirror dimming. I'd rather flip a **** - the dimming doesn't quite do the job.
Old 02-16-2017, 06:59 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 359 Posts

Good arguments guys... I didn't consider that it would be something that would be forced on those that wouldn't want it.

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
I am with you on the automatic rear view mirror dimming. I'd rather flip a **** - the dimming doesn't quite do the job.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:26 PM
jsaviano
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the PP Plus and would always order it. Ventilated seats are great, and I like the subtle lighting package. Mine is a 2014 and parking sensors were not part of it. Would love to have those. My car has entry and drive, but the previous owner lost the key "plug" and I just use the regular key. Very pleased with it.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:22 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,607 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
+1 - its hard to imagine a more annoying feature! no wonder that guy took a sledge to his 7 Series BMW!!!
BMW's implementation is terrible. I got in the habit of touching the back door handle so the front would be open, the delay is that bad.

The Porsche system is fine. I have two cars with it, they both work fine. Not once have I thought that I wished I could put a key in the slot, or I'd have removed the dummy blank by now.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:32 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,607 Likes on 1,620 Posts

As for the other stuff:

I'm sweaty. I admit it. Leather seats make me sweat. I live in the humid sweat box that is the 4th largest city in the country, Houston. I own a cab. Vented seats are a MUST.

PDLS: not super necessary unless you drive a lot of back roads in the dark, IMO.

Entry and Drive: works great. Not quite a must have, as half the time I reach in my pocket for the remote to unlock. But not taking the key out of my pocket is nice.

Parking sensors: a must for me. Sensors are even better than a camera.

Name:  photo591.jpg
Views: 1125
Size:  252.3 KB

Quick Reply: Premium Package Plus Worth It?