Sponsored by:

Engine too hot - park vehicle to cool down

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 11:10 AM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
That's pretty friggin' far from a frying.....its sage advice. Do a scan of your gauges once a minute, its a habit all performance drivers get into. Hot engines blow head gaskets and melt valves, and can lead to an engine seizure if run hot long enough. I personally don't rely on idiot lights, never have - and am glad to see 911's still come with a full gauge package.
Good for you doc!
Old 05-23-2019, 10:01 PM
Joel Lakatos
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by riozilla
Thanks guys - will take her into service today and let you know.
Did you get a diagnostic? What was it?
Old 05-23-2019, 11:02 PM
riozilla
Instructor

If I recall correctly, dealership service couldn't find anything wrong. Never happened again.
Old 05-23-2019, 11:18 PM
Joel Lakatos
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by riozilla
If I recall correctly, dealership service couldn't find anything wrong. Never happened again.
Thank you for your prompt response. You won’t believe what happened. Bought a car from a private 4k miles only. Had it check by a mechanic a all was perfect. Finished the purchase, the guy came to deliver the car and the message triggered right at the moment he was handling the car to me. You experience give me peace of mind
Old 05-24-2019, 03:58 PM
aCayenneFan
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by 77tony
Last 991 I've seen with overheating issues was RL member oldman in the Seattle area. Gravel, etc. lodged into and stopped both cooling fans. This is NOT COVERED by your warranty. Prompted me to install screening in both wells. Cost about $ 15. More here: Posts 84 & 89 https://rennlist.com/forums/991/842093-g-g-5.html
Should be covered under comprehensive coverage. Insurance company will howl like a wounded banshee, though. This is when you find out how good your insurance company is.
Old 08-02-2020, 07:41 AM
1DZPAY
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Within hours of my purchase, this happens, I need to order a flat bed to return the c

It was a Friday afternoon so by the time the car arrived back at the Porsche dealership they were already closed. The car is now sitting in their front parking area for the entire wknd. I just picked up the car Friday, drove it a few hours, and then this happened. I can't wait to see what the dealership will say!

Does anyone know the potential reasons for this to have occurred? So far I have considered this:

- there is a leak? Answer: no, there wasnt any coolant to be found leaking anywhere.

- the coolant level was low to begin with (dealership didnt prep the car for pick up)?

- the question: why was there low coolant to begin with?

- could have this car been involved in somewhat of an accident that wasn't claimed, therefore it didn't show on its "carfax". The accident damaged the radiator, or a burst coolant pipe, etc?

I am really concerned, and lost trust in the Porsche dealership where I purchased the car. Considering to retain a lawyer, just bought the car, and within hours returned it to their garage, lost my 1st wknd, and will likely be there for a few days as they evaluate, switch parts, etc. Not happy at all, not sure what my next steps should be. Any suggestions?
Old 08-02-2020, 08:01 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Beautiful color, 1DZPAY. Most likely a failed water pump or COV (change over valve). It is not low on coolant. You'll be back in action soon.
The following users liked this post:
1DZPAY (08-02-2020)
Old 08-02-2020, 10:40 AM
1DZPAY
Track Day

Originally Posted by LexVan
Beautiful color, 1DZPAY. Most likely a failed water pump or COV (change over valve). It is not low on coolant. You'll be back in action soon.
Hey LexVan, thanks for tour quick reply. How can you confirm the coolant is not too low from my image? Also, concerning the failed water pump or the COV, I am more suspecting it to he the COV. I hope my car gets checked 1st thing tomorrow, I'll keep you posted.

fyi - a real disappointment to have this occur on my 1st day, hours after I picked it up from the Porsche dealership. You would think they would do a full & complete overview. How does this even happen?
Old 08-02-2020, 10:56 AM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Received 130 Likes on 88 Posts

Like Lex said, nice color. The 991.2’s do seem to have water pump issues that’s pretty well documented on RL. If it is the dealer most likely will have the part on hand....or if a COV, an even quicker fix. Not the way to start a relationship for sure, but you’ll forget about this issue soon enough when you’re on the open road.
The following 2 users liked this post by SoCal C2S:
1DZPAY (08-02-2020), GT3FZS (08-04-2020)
Old 08-02-2020, 11:29 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Originally Posted by 1DZPAY
Hey LexVan, thanks for tour quick reply. How can you confirm the coolant is not too low from my image? Also, concerning the failed water pump or the COV, I am more suspecting it to he the COV. I hope my car gets checked 1st thing tomorrow, I'll keep you posted.

fyi - a real disappointment to have this occur on my 1st day, hours after I picked it up from the Porsche dealership. You would think they would do a full & complete overview. How does this even happen?
Because you'd have an MFS warning if the coolant was low. The "MIN" level is very normal.

Last edited by LexVan; 08-02-2020 at 11:36 AM. Reason: spelling
1DZPAY (08-02-2020)
Old 08-02-2020, 11:39 AM
1DZPAY
Track Day

Hello fellow members,

Quick question: if you picked up your child dream car from a Porsche dealer that said they did a full & complete inspection, certified, but yet within hours of pick up you need to return the car on a flat bed - what would you expect from the dealership to make this right?
Old 08-02-2020, 12:19 PM
darlinboy
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts
Talking

Hello fellow members,

Quick question: if you picked up your child dream car from a Porsche dealer that said they did a full & complete inspection, certified, but yet within hours of pick up you need to return the car on a flat bed - what would you expect from the dealership to make this right?
S**t happens.

I'd expect them to fix it, give me a really nice loaner, and make sure I am not out of pocket for the tow.

A little bowing and scraping along the way wouldn't hurt.
The following 2 users liked this post by darlinboy:
1DZPAY (08-02-2020), 991.1GTS (08-02-2020)
Old 08-02-2020, 12:23 PM
SConn
Drifting

Received 976 Likes on 580 Posts

Hello fellow members,

If your car is CPO, you're panicking a bit too early. I don't blame you for being frustrated, disappointed and pissed. But just wait and see what the issue is first.

If the car does have the warranty, they should make it right. And yes, I would expect them to make it right.
991.1GTS (08-02-2020)
Old 08-02-2020, 12:24 PM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 352 Posts

Hello fellow members,

Just fix the issue. Life goes on.
991.1GTS (08-02-2020)
Old 08-02-2020, 12:24 PM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 327 Likes on 167 Posts

Get a picture of the waterpump - look for pink discharge on the swaybar. It's on the left hand side rear (near the rear tire). If you seen pink discharge, then you have a waterpump leak and it's an easy fix. These can fail suddenly, so that's not really the dealer's fault.

If there is no pink discharge, I'd suspect a thermostat - which can also fail suddenly. In any case, the dealer should take care of you - and should tell you what temp the engine reached at its peak. I'd have them change the oil for sure - as oils can break down quickly at excessive temps.

Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Engine too hot - park vehicle to cool down