Sponsored by:

Extended warranty on new to me 2014 Carrera S

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 02:03 PM
mmaturo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended warranty on new to me 2014 Carrera S

Well I finally own a Porsche. Traded in my Audi RS7 of all things yesterday to get a smaller easier daily driver. The dealer offered me some extended warranty options but without any research on my end I passed but I'm wondering what the collective here thinks is the best way to go and roughly the cost. The numbers seemed high to me compared to similar products for my Audi's. The policies were varying years/mileage Platinum that any Porsche dealer I think has?? It was a BMW dealership but they have a sister store.
Old 04-28-2015, 02:07 PM
mmaturo
Racer

Old 04-28-2015, 02:38 PM
TrappistMonk
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Do I remember correctly and will this be your daily driver? I just bought a new-to-me 2015 Carrera and did not opt for any extended warranty. Mine is an occasional driver 3-4k miles per year, so I did not feel the need to add anything to the factory warranty.
Your car should also still be under factory warranty, depending on your use, you can perhaps check if CPO is possible.
Old 04-28-2015, 02:40 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,407 Likes on 2,514 Posts

Very nice. Do a self warranty. Put the money aside, now. Most likely, you'll be ahead.
Old 04-28-2015, 02:45 PM
mmaturo
Racer

Originally Posted by LexVan
Very nice. Do a self warranty. Put the money aside, now. Most likely, you'll be ahead.
True. 5900 is a pile but was 7 years (from now) to 100K miles but I know how expensive parts can be (at least on my Audis) but not sure what can go on these cars as I have had a total of 2 weeks learning about it before jumping in.

This will be a daily driver of about 20 to 25K miles per year since I may have a long commute coming up for work, so miles will build fast. 2014 with only 2700 miles on it so I am starting off well. It went in service almost exactly one year ago.
Old 04-28-2015, 02:47 PM
TrappistMonk
Pro

Originally Posted by mmaturo
True. 5900 is a pile but was 7 years (from now) to 100K miles but I know how expensive parts can be (at least on my Audis) but not sure what can go on these cars as I have had a total of 2 weeks learning about it before jumping in.

This will be a daily driver of about 20 to 25K miles per year since I may have a long commute coming up for work, so miles will build fast. 2014 with only 2700 miles on it so I am starting off well. It went in service almost exactly one year ago.
If they have a Porsche dealership as well, just ask for CPO. SHould cost around $3,000 for 6 years, 100,000 miles
Old 04-28-2015, 02:47 PM
mmaturo
Racer

Originally Posted by LexVan
Originally Posted by TrappistMonk
Do I remember correctly and will this be your daily driver? I just bought a new-to-me 2015 Carrera and did not opt for any extended warranty. Mine is an occasional driver 3-4k miles per year, so I did not feel the need to add anything to the factory warranty.
Your car should also still be under factory warranty, depending on your use, you can perhaps check if CPO is possible.
I will check with my local dealer if they can do that for me. It is likely cheaper than the warranty prices I saw. I bought the car about 100 miles from home at a BMW dealership so that I did not think of yesterday when I got the deal done.
Old 04-28-2015, 02:49 PM
mmaturo
Racer

If they have a Porsche dealership as well, just ask for CPO. SHould cost around $3,000 for 6 years, 100,000 miles
I will check back with them. They do and I didn't think to ask. Thank you
Old 04-28-2015, 02:50 PM
TrappistMonk
Pro

Remember that you are only buying the additional years after factory warranty.
Btw, dual tone is the only way to go for the beige interiors!
Old 04-28-2015, 03:58 PM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 268 Posts

Nope, CPO ain't gonna' happen if you already own the car unless you sell it back to the dealer and they sell it back you.

Ask me how I know...

DaveGee
Old 04-28-2015, 04:02 PM
mmaturo
Racer

Remember that you are only buying the additional years after factory warranty.
Btw, dual tone is the only way to go for the beige interiors!
Yup I know on the additional years. Thanks on the interior...I was not after the beige at all but the dual tone did it for me especially with the white in this car. I like interiors with contrast and this did the trick. The last owner did a great job selecting the finishes on the car. I was originally looking for the expresso interior but couldn't find one yet, or second blue, and last red. Very happy with the car. Very 'classy' looking as my wife put it. Already cant resist looking at things to finish it out...I really like the ducktail spoilers... I didn't want to stretch to buy a 50th anniversary car (yet) but it is my ideal for looks for the 991.
Old 04-28-2015, 04:03 PM
mmaturo
Racer

Originally Posted by DaveGee
Nope, CPO ain't gonna' happen if you already own the car unless you sell it back to the dealer and they sell it back you.

Ask me how I know...

DaveGee
lol. thanks. extended warranty it is.
Old 04-28-2015, 04:12 PM
991TurboS
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are numerous threads on extended warranties on this and other Porsche websites. You can get a good feel for the reputable companies with a bit of research.

Also, if your dealer offered you an extended wheel/tire road hazard warranty at a reasonable cost, I would definitely consider it. I paid $1195 for my 5 year coverage on my 2014 TTS, and I have already gotten $1100 worth of tires (both rears) from my dealer resulting from nail or screw punctures.

I plan on considering extended warranties towards the end of my factory period, as I am not sure if I will keep the car long term.
Old 04-28-2015, 05:59 PM
woodranch
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts

Just for personal knowledge why did you trade in the RS7? That is supposed to be an awesome car and has really not been out that long. What were your likes and dislikes?
Old 04-28-2015, 07:09 PM
mmaturo
Racer

Originally Posted by woodranch
Just for personal knowledge why did you trade in the RS7? That is supposed to be an awesome car and has really not been out that long. What were your likes and dislikes?
The car is just pure awesome and faster than pretty much anything. I like everything about it except the non flat bottom steering wheel that they have now fixed for the 2016. Gorgeous car. Matches my R8GT in acceleration but is just incredibly smooth about it. Hit 150 without really trying driving down to south FL to get the P-car. That's part of it is that I really am going to get pulled over for triple digit speeds because the car does do it too easily. Loved it but the main reason is I have a job possibility that means a 60-70 mile commute each way...so 20 to 25K miles a year. I just cant see putting that kind of miles on the 7. It is also not the most gas efficient car (the way I drive it anyway) and is rather big that for weaving through traffic it feels big that I would rather do the drive in something smaller with better visibility. What I was avoiding though really was the depreciation on the car. I have had it one year exactly and could see that it was going to drop faster than I would like (ate a huge hit on my RS6 back in the day). A dealer here in Orlando and a few others elsewhere have listed used ones for less than what even Manheim auction results are (got numbers for just last week) and that scared me to unload it before I eat a big chunk. I'm not sure why the drop when an S7 is at 90K+ so having barely used RS7s at 100 or 98 is just silly, but oh well. Sucks since my RS5 I am way ahead on with depreciation but it had the right price point in the first place. Audi priced the RS7 MSRP about 10K higher than it probably should have been even though it is worth the $$. Bargain compared to the Panamera Turbo it can run with easily.

So a Porsche will very comfortably get me to work and even with miles on it will bottom out I think at a higher value in a few years than an RS7 will. We do not have kids and really do not need a four door either so figured another sports car that I can also use for the track (rather than keep abusing my rather rare R8) was a better idea. It is likely that I will rebuy a used RS7 in the future if we do need four doors. I was actually after an RS5 convertible (even though I also still have an RS5 coupe that's my wife's car now) but the Audi dealership near me had a 2013 Carrera S and having never driven one I took it for a spin and it completely changed my thinking, two weeks later I own one.

Quick Reply: Extended warranty on new to me 2014 Carrera S