Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

worst nightmare - this is what freaks me out about leaving my car unattended

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 09:34 AM
Sharm
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 42 Posts
Default worst nightmare - this is what freaks me out about leaving my car unattended

http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/Swear-Word-Keyed-on-Expensive-Porsche-300931401.html

What do you guys think? Never deserved or justified but invited?
Old 04-27-2015, 09:37 AM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharm
http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/Swear-Word-Keyed-on-Expensive-Porsche-300931401.html

What do you guys think? Never deserved or justified but invited?
Getting your car keyed (any car) is never deserved or justified. Does't matter if you park like an ******* or not. While I roll my eyes at folks who park like douchebags I get over it a second later. Anybody who gets upset over stuff like that or keys a car has mental problems, and should be medicated - after a couple nights in jail.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:44 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

I've been mad at idiots who parked too close to my car before, making ingress difficult for me. But I've never even taken the opportunity (nearly justified in my mind) to open my door into them. (Talking some other car I'm driving, not my Porsche). I've not even left a note on a door or windshield. Let's face it: you cannot educate people by this means. Period. You can't teach them in traffic that they're driving like a dumbass; you can't teach them that they're parking like one. All you do is cause them to turn YOU into the bad-guy in their mind, thus further justifying their actions.

The lady probably DID park like a dumbass distracted and self-absorbed Porsche driver. I'm just sayin' (something had to set off the ***** to the point of keying the crap out of her car and taking a long time doing it.) But you can tell from the article that this didn't make her feel contrite about her parking job, determined to never do it again. It made her mad, defensive, and now justified.

The guy was a total *** and should get a serious destruction of property charge if caught on the ubiquitous security cameras in all parking decks. But I've felt like he no doubt felt before.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:51 AM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I didn't realize things were so calm in Omaha that a keying incident would make the news.

What's next, "irate driver shakes fist at careless cyclist"?
Old 04-27-2015, 09:54 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,187 Likes on 1,477 Posts

Originally Posted by Grunty
I didn't realize things were so calm in Omaha that a keying incident would make the news.

<laughing> A keyed car is pretty far from my "Worst Nightmare".
Old 04-27-2015, 10:09 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

You amuse me.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:06 AM
Sharm
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie

<laughing> A keyed car is pretty far from my "Worst Nightmare".
Yea, maybe my title was a bit sensationalist. That's how we like our Monday morning news, isn't it?
Old 04-27-2015, 01:36 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

"Worst Nightmare?" Paging Nick Murray….. ahh hello Mr Murray thanks for calling so soon, we have a car that was keyed. What's that? No, it did not strand anyone on the NJ Turnpike. No, just paint no smoke, no total electrical shutdowns. No, no million YouTube views but it was reported on the… okay, you're probably right, not even a million viewers in Omaha anyway. Yes. Yes. And thanks again for calling.

OP, yes its bad news. But if you'll continue to hold. I know, not the Worst. But let me make a few more calls. There's the guy who carefully backs into a corner parking spot, returns to find a pickup flew over a berm and landed on his 991. And another just tooling along when, smoke, flames… garden hose. Oh, and I got a note here, GT3 something or other. Anyway, hang on, might still be a Top 10 Worst….
Old 04-27-2015, 04:04 PM
991TurboS
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had just bought my first new sports car, a 1998 Corvette. I had less than 1000 miles on it, and I went to an upscale strip shopping center and parked out in the uninhabited area of the lot, not taking up two spots or any other d-bag moves. Came out of the store 20 minutes later, and someone had taken what I guess was a knife and had scratched down into the the panel material 360 degrees the entire circumference of the car: doors, fenders, quarter panels, hood, rear bumper.

Turns out a few other cars had been done the same way at the same time.

You never know where a dirtbag is hiding with a resentment.
Old 04-27-2015, 05:32 PM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Reminds me of the dbag who knocked himself out by trying to throw a brick thru a Mercedes window. It bounced off and hit him in the face. He then tries to claim to the police that the owner of the car attacked him. Unfortunately for him, the whole thing was recorded by a parking lot security camera. Occasionally, justice prevails.
Old 04-27-2015, 05:34 PM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 991TurboS
I had just bought my first new sports car, a 1998 Corvette. I had less than 1000 miles on it, and I went to an upscale strip shopping center and parked out in the uninhabited area of the lot, not taking up two spots or any other d-bag moves. Came out of the store 20 minutes later, and someone had taken what I guess was a knife and had scratched down into the the panel material 360 degrees the entire circumference of the car: doors, fenders, quarter panels, hood, rear bumper.

Turns out a few other cars had been done the same way at the same time.

You never know where a dirtbag is hiding with a resentment.
Out of curiousity, how was this resolved by the insurance co? If the knifing was deep, did they have the panels replaced?
Old 04-27-2015, 05:46 PM
991TurboS
Racer

Out of curiousity, how was this resolved by the insurance co? If the knifing was deep, did they have the panels replaced?
It was deep enough to hit the FRP material, but not deep enough to require panel replacement. The entire car was resprayed and covered by insurance. I traded it in on a new Corvette a few months after that.

I'd hate it if that type thing happened again, but I was younger and cars meant more to me then. I've owned probably 15 high performance cars since, and while I still enjoy them a lot, dings, scratches, chips, and even vandalism happen. I just don't have the emotional attachment to cars like I did 17 years ago.
Old 04-27-2015, 07:11 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Okay, you want to talk nightmares? Try getting this one out of your head!

For years I used to park in this covered garage, second level up so not seen from the street, a corner spot by the wall so hard to see, hit or park next to. One day I return to find this godawful looking brown crap on the fender. Didn't notice until I was getting in, then immediately realized its way too much to detail off, lets just get home and wash asap.

Next day, pulling into the same spot, I notice this ugly streak down the wall and onto the floor. Getting out I walk around for a better look. Suddenly it all becomes clear. Some homeless dude took a dump leaning against the wall, wiped his butt with his hand, wiped his hand on my fender.
Old 04-27-2015, 07:24 PM
991TurboS
Racer

Originally Posted by chuck911
Next day, pulling into the same spot, I notice this ugly streak down the wall and onto the floor. Getting out I walk around for a better look. Suddenly it all becomes clear. Some homeless dude took a dump leaning against the wall, wiped his butt with his hand, wiped his hand on my fender.
Better that than having the F bomb permanently keyed into your paint. Super gross, yes, but least you can wash it off.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:22 PM
chuck911
Race Car

I guess. Long as you don't think about all the diseases you could catch not knowing you're dealing with some old homeless dudes feces and whatnot.

Quick Reply: worst nightmare - this is what freaks me out about leaving my car unattended