991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lava GTS on Order!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2015 | 07:41 PM
shaytun
Burning Brakes

I never like criticizing other people's builds but everyone is on here for nice constructive criticism or just opinions. The most personal thing is always color. I think Lava will look epic with all the black contrast (even better with the black wheels if you were going in that direction), so props to you for having the ***** to get it. In terms of the seat belts matching the PCCB, I'm not sure it's a true match and more of a clash with orange. But I do see what you're going for.
One comment on the wheels and I'd like others to comment. If one is going for weight savings aren't the Turbo S forged significantly lighter. I don't track, so changing the center lock is not as imperative as someone who does. Despite that, does the weight savings, not to mention how nice they look, make up for the inconvenience?
Old 04-25-2015 | 08:30 PM
coxswain
Racer

Originally Posted by shaytun
I think Lava will look epic . . . with the black wheels if you were going in that direction. . . . In terms of the seat belts matching the PCCB, I'm not sure it's a true match and more of a clash with orange.

+1
Old 04-25-2015 | 08:33 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Lava Orange - awesome choice
Old 04-25-2015 | 10:25 PM
Leica 993
Racer

Congrats, beautiful car. Also love the rear wiper!
Old 04-25-2015 | 11:31 PM
ibmiked
Pro

Thanks guys. With so many ways to build one of these cars there will never be a consensus that someone got everything 'right'. I may be off on the colors a bit, but I have never been a fan of black wheels myself, and I don't think the seat belts in yellow will be a deal breaker. If they are, I'll walk up to the parts counter and get a set of black, something I'm capable of changing myself (put red ones in my 2007 C4S).

Chuck911, I appreciate your help and input. I read a lot of your posts here during my research phase and I was aware of your thoughts on the rear wiper. You picked up on the fact that my passion for these cars stems from a much earlier era, and my tastes are influenced by the time I spend with those cars. On a 991 a rear wiper to me is not just a rear wiper but also a reminder that these cars have a commonality that dates back over 50 years, and to me it's just a cool reminder of that, not necessarily a mandatory way of clearing the rear window. Guys get centerlock wheels not because they need to do the fastest wheel swap at the track but because they remind them of something cool about another 911.

Thanks for all the well wishes. It's the car I want, and I was only constrained by my imagination and the Porsche Configurator when I built it.

Cheers,
Mike
Old 04-25-2015 | 11:35 PM
Galion
Pro

Yep, black wheels!, silver dont match the sporty character of lava orange.
Old 04-26-2015 | 03:21 PM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Congrats on your build. Look forward to seeing it.
Old 04-30-2015 | 07:20 PM
ibmiked
Pro

Here's an interesting point of view about the rear wiper and what it has always meant to the 911 and Porsche. Not trying to open a can of worms, just would like to point out that not everyone sees this item the same way.

"Uninitiated enthusiasts, unencumbered by intimate familiarity of Porsche tradition, sometimes protest that the iconic rear wiper is stylistically unbecoming.

On the contrary, a Porsche sporting a rear wiper is analogous to Sean Connery as James Bond in black tie donning a steel Rolex Submariner: a seemingly incongruous functional instrument; seemingly out of place, but discreetly hinting at ancillary capabilities on call.

What would you prefer driving: an automobile displaying tangible and functional evidence of its robust heritage, or a mechanical fair-weather pretty boy?"

https://autouniversum.wordpress.com/...f-porsche-dna/
Old 04-30-2015 | 07:48 PM
PDK1965
Instructor

Good for you! Enjoy your carefully chosen 911!
Old 04-30-2015 | 07:52 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Originally Posted by ibmiked
Here's an interesting point of view about the rear wiper and what it has always meant to the 911 and Porsche. Not trying to open a can of worms, just would like to point out that not everyone sees this item the same way.

"Uninitiated enthusiasts, unencumbered by intimate familiarity of Porsche tradition, sometimes protest that the iconic rear wiper is stylistically unbecoming.

On the contrary, a Porsche sporting a rear wiper is analogous to Sean Connery as James Bond in black tie donning a steel Rolex Submariner: a seemingly incongruous functional instrument; seemingly out of place, but discreetly hinting at ancillary capabilities on call.

What would you prefer driving: an automobile displaying tangible and functional evidence of its robust heritage, or a mechanical fair-weather pretty boy?"

He wisely switched to a Seamaster for the last two decades.

I have a wiper on the back of my Turbo, and don't have one on the back of the new GTS. Of course I have never used the one Turbo -- I would suspect it's useful in snow, but I've never felt the need in rain, and we don't get enough snow to warrant taking a Porsche out in it. (Maybe two days a year.)

But I kind of like having it. It never bothers me visually like it does a lot of people on the internet. (I've never had anyone even notice it in person). Some of the guys on 996TT board actually go to a lot of trouble to do a wiper delete on used cars they buy. I'd never do that.

I'd say for me it's one of those options that doesn't mean anything one way or the other.
Old 06-01-2015 | 01:57 PM
ibmiked
Pro

I send my salesman a weekly email to ping him on the car and remind him I'm out here. He indulges me with a weekly screen shot of the car's progress.

LAVA PAINT IS NOW BEING APPLIED! Sorry, I couldn't contain my enthusiasm and had to tell someone.

Old 06-01-2015 | 06:33 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Excellent news, looks like yours is running a bit ahead of schedule!
Old 06-02-2015 | 12:22 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Chuck911, I appreciate your help and input. I read a lot of your posts here during my research phase and I was aware of your thoughts on the rear wiper. You picked up on the fact that my passion for these cars stems from a much earlier era, and my tastes are influenced by the time I spend with those cars. On a 991 a rear wiper to me is not just a rear wiper but also a reminder that these cars have a commonality that dates back over 50 years, and to me it's just a cool reminder of that, not necessarily a mandatory way of clearing the rear window. Guys get centerlock wheels not because they need to do the fastest wheel swap at the track but because they remind them of something cool about another 911.

Mike: We had a similar discussion on 'rear wipers' back in 2014. Here is what I wrote back then:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8333...ear-wiper.html

For the same reasons as you, I would not order a custom 991 coupe or targa today without the 'rear wiper' option.

As the song from 'Fiddler on the Roof' reminds us:

Tradition, tradition! Tradition!
Tradition, tradition! Tradition!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 06-02-2015 | 12:42 AM
991999R
Rennlist Member

love the lava...i think black wheels and black headlights would look great but thats mo. i think its a winner
Old 06-03-2015 | 09:58 PM
Hugh Jardon
Advanced

I did ED in Zuffenhausen in July of 2014 and was tempted to get the rear wiper just for a safety factor since I was bringing the wife and two kids over there. It can rain and even hail pretty frequently over there even in the summer. I was worried that the vision through the rear glass would be awful with out the wiper during a rain storm.

I decided to got without the wiper for cost/weight/aesthetics and was going to risk the safety during a downpour on the autobahn. Turns out I never really noticed the lack of a rear wiper. The water just sort of channels off at those speeds. Even around town during the rain it didn't really impact the visibility.

I also opted against the wiper for one other small reason, it takes up some space on the rear shelf and we had to stuff a couple IKEA backpacks back there when leaving the factory collection, and we needed all the space we could get in the car.

Small reasons. Truthfully I never saw a 911 that didn't look good no matter what the configuration was. Wiper/no wiper, silver wheels/black wheels, deviating stitching/seatbelts.

They pretty much look good no matter how you configure them...

Quick Reply: Lava GTS on Order!