chipped windshield and hood spotted

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 12:55 PM
kenysl
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default chipped windshield and hood spotted

Hi all,

Picking up my 991 and doing a pickup check. Found that there is a small chip in the windshield and also 2 small chip on the hood.

The car has 30km on it, is that too much? I am trying to deal with the dealership and they are eager to provide a new windshield and touch up on the hood chip.

But I think they should compensate more than this on a luxury sports car!!! Anyone had these kind of experience?
Old 04-23-2015, 01:07 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by kenysl
Hi all,

Picking up my 991 and doing a pickup check. Found that there is a small chip in the windshield and also 2 small chip on the hood.

The car has 30km on it, is that too much? I am trying to deal with the dealership and they are eager to provide a new windshield and touch up on the hood chip.

But I think they should compensate more than this on a luxury sports car!!! Anyone had these kind of experience?
Seems strange that a brand new car with 18 miles would have a chipped windshield and chipped hood. I guess the dealer service department did a roadtest as part of the PDI and did the damage. If it was my car, I wouldn't be happy. I might just pass on the car. 18 miles on a new car is not excessive. That's about how many I had on my GTS when I took delivery, and no one other then the service tech that did a road test had driven it. It of course arrived at the dealer with about 10 miles on it.

Last edited by GSIRM3; 04-23-2015 at 02:27 PM.
Old 04-23-2015, 01:13 PM
kenysl
7th Gear

It is a brand new GTS! So how much KM can you expect on a brand new Porsche is what I am asking! This is my first time purchasing a luxury sports car in North America.
Old 04-23-2015, 01:15 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

A brand new GTS with 18 miles on it?

Chip on the windshield and two paint chips? What gives?? How does that happen? Is this in the U.S.?

Is this a custom ordered car or buying off the lot?

I wouldn't buy a new car with those flaws on it.

I'd pass.
Old 04-23-2015, 01:33 PM
kenysl
7th Gear

It is in Canada indeed. It is a custom ordered car. I have already fully paid the car thru leasing company, so now is how and what I should demand from the dealership.
Old 04-23-2015, 01:33 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

If you really like the car. I would negotiate an additional 2 to 3% off of your original offer.
Old 04-23-2015, 01:35 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,194 Likes on 717 Posts

When I bought my car new, it had 11 miles on it. I can deal with the 18 miles, but not the chips on the hood or the windshield. You are paying a lot of money and it should be pristine as far as I am concerned.
Old 04-23-2015, 01:35 PM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
If you really like the car. I would negotiate an additional 2 to 3% off of your original offer.
+1 This.
Old 04-23-2015, 01:39 PM
STG
Race Director

It is in Canada indeed. It is a custom ordered car. I have already fully paid the car thru leasing company, so now is how and what I should demand from the dealership.
Probably transported on some open trailer. Even with that, the hood is wrapped. Sounds fishy.

One thing I can tell you, these dealerships won't do much more than what they have already offered.

If I was receiving my "dream car" and it showed up like that, I'd pass on it personally. In your case, the most you'll get is a new windshield and touch up job.
Old 04-23-2015, 01:43 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,407 Likes on 2,514 Posts

I'd pass too. That many predelivery miles is completely normal on a new car. Chipped windshield and paint dings on the hood is not normal. But it happens. At what price proposition can you live with the defects? Offer that price and then don't speak. And if they except do it. If not walk. There are lots of Porsches for sale.
Old 04-23-2015, 01:47 PM
STG
Race Director

It is a brand new GTS! So how much KM can you expect on a brand new Porsche is what I am asking! This is my first time purchasing a luxury sports car in North America.
18 miles on a new car is within "normal dealer" delivery miles. On the high end I'm guessing. I have seen a lot less though.

If I was ordering a car, I'd be there the minute the transport truck pulled up with it.

Probably taken for a spin at some point by the car wash boy (or sales guy) at 100mph behind a gravel dump truck?

Chips on the hood and windshield are most likely from being driven. I'd say 99% chance.
Old 04-23-2015, 01:52 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

kensyl, there are bunch of guys on here who've reported 5-10 or more miles on their brand new built to order cars. So yours has 18. It probably was taken on one or two test drives. Dealers here commonly let customers test drive cars and then still represent them as "new". You probably did this yourself. The chips on the hood, if done right will disappear. The windshield, only you can decide if it is so bad its worth replacing perfectly installed factory glass.

See if they'll comp you some new floor mats, then get that car out on the road where you can start putting your own chips all over it.

edit- sorry did not see you custom ordered. I'd be a lot more upset. But, dealers do this stuff. You can walk, or try for better comps. Still, big picture, its just a couple chips.
Old 04-23-2015, 01:59 PM
TrappistMonk
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

The miles seem ok, but I would pass on the car with the chips on the hood
Old 04-23-2015, 02:01 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
18 miles on a new car is within normal delivery miles. On the high end I'm guessing. I have seen a lot less though.

Probably taken for a spin at some point by the car wash boy (or sales guy) at 100mph behind a gravel dump truck?

Chips on the hood and windshield are most likely from being driven. I'd say 99% chance.
If you can drive 100 mph behind a gravel truck and only get one window chip and two on the hood, I want to know: is it skill? Or luck?
Old 04-23-2015, 02:34 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

What do you mean by "fully paid for the car thru leasing company"? Are you buying the car or leasing it? If you are leasing the car, I wouldn't be to upset about the damage, since you are basically just renting it. But if I was actually buying the car, I would be pissed and probably would pass on it and get another one.

Quick Reply: chipped windshield and hood spotted