Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 03:46 PM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't safe money when it comes to tires. Especially not on a $100+K performance car. Can't go wrong with michelin super sports, or cup 2's (if it's a nice weather car). Yokos Advan 08's is a great tire too.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:12 PM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Leverageconsult
So I'm having a discussion with a couple friends that have Porsches. I asked them what there opinions were on Nitto Invo for tire replacement. They are about 800 shipped. They said absolutely not. They said that the only tire for the 991 is a Michelin. Those are 1500. Are these really worth double the amount?
People seem to love them in 997 forums.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:25 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,621 Likes on 2,352 Posts

I wont put anything but a Michelin or Pirelli tire on my GT3 ... I want the best performing rubber I can find ... after all its the only thing connecting your car to the road (or not)

I *might* consider a bridgestone, but that's about it ... YMMV
Old 04-10-2015, 03:40 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 1,003 Likes on 375 Posts

+1. Invo's are sub par. Super Sports are the way to go. They'll last longer than Invo's and grip better.
Old 04-10-2015, 06:04 AM
shandyman5
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Invo's are NOT a subpar tire. A lot of Corvette guys run them in even wider sizes then ours, and have had great feedback regarding them. I personally would get Pilot Super Sport's but if it was Nitto's or the Pirelli's I would seriously consider the Nitto. I think the Pirelli is a garbage tire. LOL at N-spec. Buying only N-spec tires is a waste. It is a complete marketing gimmick.
Old 04-10-2015, 11:10 AM
lunarx
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by shandyman5
Invo's are NOT a subpar tire. A lot of Corvette guys run them in even wider sizes then ours, and have had great feedback regarding them. I personally would get Pilot Super Sport's but if it was Nitto's or the Pirelli's I would seriously consider the Nitto. I think the Pirelli is a garbage tire. LOL at N-spec. Buying only N-spec tires is a waste. It is a complete marketing gimmick.
Invo 8th place.
http://m.caranddriver.com/comparisons/nitto-invo-page-4

PSS & PZero have been used to set Nurburgring records.

Has Invo ever been OEM on any six figure performance cars?
(Not even any 40K cars, that I know of).

R speed rating is 106 MPH, LOL.
(For 245-35-20)

They don't seem to have the right size rear tire.
Fortunately, that should keep them from ever getting put on a 991.

Last edited by lunarx; 04-10-2015 at 11:43 AM.
Old 04-10-2015, 01:36 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by lunarx
Invo 8th place.
http://m.caranddriver.com/comparisons/nitto-invo-page-4

PSS & PZero have been used to set Nurburgring records.

Has Invo ever been OEM on any six figure performance cars?
(Not even any 40K cars, that I know of).

R speed rating is 106 MPH, LOL.
(For 245-35-20)

They don't seem to have the right size rear tire.
Fortunately, that should keep them from ever getting put on a 991.
Yeah when I first saw this I searched around a bit and the first thing I learned, Tire Rack doesn't carry Nitto. Considering that for over 30 (!) years now I've bought nearly all my tires at Tire Rack, and the few times I have not they have ALL been major disappointments, and that I have found them to be the best source of information around, that they just don't carry Nitto is a big red flag to me. Of course it could simply be Nitto doesn't have the volume or something like that, but its a question mark. Then I look at the tire, which frankly to me looks like a marketing department ran amok. But hey, what do I know? Could be the future. Then I read reviews, which were mixed at best. But the OP said its a half-price bargain, lets see what they cost. Not half price. Lets see, in 991 size they are…. WTF? They don't make one for the 991???

So I am with you Lunarx, except I wouldn't be too sure about the never getting put on a 991 part. Stay tuned for pics of some guy who just bought the widest biggest wheels you can stuff under a Sharkwerks aero'd out 991, and when you look real close…. Nitto.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Invos are not a comparable tire to PSS or Zeros. Nitti's comp is the NT05. They're great tires. Nitto is owned by Toyo, one of the largest tire manufacturers that also makes top tier tires. Many companies prefer not to sell as oem for lots of reasons including regulations, unit prices, batch production, etc.

Hang around a track a little bit and you'll see the reputation that has been gained by tires like the NT05, 01, RA1, R888, etc.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:36 PM
DD GT3 RD
Rennlist Member

Received 571 Likes on 235 Posts

stock pirelli pzero is pretty good. 2 track days on them, performed well for a summer tire. Michelin Super Sports are good.

I would not run INVO but if you are just driving on the street its fine, but doesn't perform as well as the above.

Yokohama AD08 , Nitto NT01 , NT05 are all very good and grippier than previous mentioned for a lot less but don't last as long
Old 04-14-2015, 01:28 PM
lunarx
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 008
Invos are not a comparable tire to PSS or Zeros. Nitti's comp is the NT05. They're great tires. Nitto is owned by Toyo, one of the largest tire manufacturers that also makes top tier tires. Many companies prefer not to sell as oem for lots of reasons including regulations, unit prices, batch production, etc.

Hang around a track a little bit and you'll see the reputation that has been gained by tires like the NT05, 01, RA1, R888, etc.
Have any direct experience with NT05?
Either on your car or cars you saw at the track?
I have been looking for more info on them.

I agree with you on NT01 & RA1
Old 04-14-2015, 05:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

I did have them on my Cayman S for a short time and liked them a lot as a street tire. I only had them for a bit before I traded that car but I did get them out on MSR Houston. They held up well to the heat, if I remember correctly they were a hair faster than the Falkens. Couldn't tell you how they'd be over time though. Lots of folks ran them on the E92 M3s and really liked them. I traded that car in 9 months so I never replaced the OEMs but would have likely gone with the NT05s as well.
Old 04-15-2015, 01:29 PM
Key Left
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
OEM new?
Yes, asymmetric Goodyear F1 eagles came OEM. I'm on my second set, they perform miracles in the rain. Rated 9 out of possible 10 for rain performance. Let:s face it, a slick tire performs best on dry pavement. Tire brands show their true worth in the rain. ( I know in California it does not rain much so Eagles aren't necessary.)
Old 04-15-2015, 02:23 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 852 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by Key Left
Yes, asymmetric Goodyear F1 eagles came OEM. I'm on my second set, they perform miracles in the rain. Rated 9 out of possible 10 for rain performance. Let:s face it, a slick tire performs best on dry pavement. Tire brands show their true worth in the rain. ( I know in California it does not rain much so Eagles aren't necessary.)
Just in 19", don't think or at least it does not come up on any list in 20"
Old 04-15-2015, 02:32 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,197 Likes on 1,481 Posts

The main effect of N-spec is to make buying tires for your new car even more complicated and expensive. Mostly marketing, it really does nothing for performance.

I may have to disagree with that statement. A friend of mine was a tire engineer (has since moved into a different job) for Bridgestone/ BFG and said that is a common misconception - that an "N" tire is just for Marketing. He told me that Porsche comes to them with specific tread compound requirements that may affect the wet driving ability of the tire, or the wear, or the dry grip, etc over the base tire and there there is a real cost in both making and developing them. As I don't have actual facts, I'll just pass that along FYI.
The following users liked this post:
scr1244 (03-11-2020)
Old 04-15-2015, 02:52 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,621 Likes on 2,352 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
The main effect of N-spec is to make buying tires for your new car even more complicated and expensive. Mostly marketing, it really does nothing for performance.

I may have to disagree with that statement. A friend of mine was a tire engineer (has since moved into a different job) for Bridgestone/ BFG and said that is a common misconception - that an "N" tire is just for Marketing. He told me that Porsche comes to them with specific tread compound requirements that may affect the wet driving ability of the tire, or the wear, or the dry grip, etc over the base tire and there there is a real cost in both making and developing them. As I don't have actual facts, I'll just pass that along FYI.
+1 when I attended the MPSS launch a few years back Porsche were in attendance and it was clear from the discussions there that (just like motorsport) the vehicle and tire engineers are partnered for the development
of the (N spec) tires for the car, as they are with BMW and MB (in the case of the MPSS) and that the tires construction *is* different per vehicle variant

Quick Reply: Tires