Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Taxes?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 06:11 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Amazing how these things always devolve into the minutia of this case or that situation, never dwelling on what really matters, the principles involved. And this even in a group of supposedly successful, educated people. No wonder they're able to so reliably screw with us.

Let's see, to even have the money to buy the car in the first place you had to earn it. Income tax. Or invest.
Capital gains, dividend taxes. Maybe some wise-*** wants to pretend he invested in tax-free government bonds. Big deal, still can't escape the inflation tax imposed on everyone by a fractional reserve/Federal Reserve system in which all money is loaned into existence. And then on top of all that they have the gall to tax you on the purchase, and keep taxing you every year you want to drive it. Do the math, it varies a lot depending on your local laws, but accounting for everything its pretty hard to see getting away with less than 200K for your 130k 991.

$70k+ in taxes, and people talking about out of state registration. Sad but true.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:00 PM
shaytun
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Chuck,
Can you explain the $70k taxes on a $130k car. I'm not much of a mathematician.
Old 04-03-2015, 01:03 AM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
I can hear the howls already, and especially when I use the "C" word, but the fact is that under the Constitution ours is a government of enumerated powers. The literal meaning of this is government has no powers other than those granted in the Constitution. It is without dispute that our Constitution was written by some of the most learned and accomplished writers on the planet, yet somehow whenever anyone brings up the obvious point that we are not following its clear intent they are reflexively dismissed. This despite the fact that pretty much every single problem facing the nation today is ultimately rooted in UNconstitutionalism.

So anyway, to fix your problem, start with a bill requiring that all laws find direct support in the Constituion, and the Constitution alone- emphatically NOT to include Supreme Court precedents.

Problem solved. And you can forget about vehicle registration, drivers license, air bags, turbo's….
This post - Now everything makes sense. It clearly shows that "Chuck911" is an alias for Antonin Scalia (brilliant and infuriating at the same time).
Old 04-03-2015, 01:37 AM
VintageRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 461 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
Let's see, to even have the money to buy the car in the first place you had to earn it.
I agree. I am in about a 50% tax bracket (federal, state, and extra ObamaCare Medicare taxes).

It happens. I still managed to pay cash for a new 991. It was worth every dollar spent. You earn $200,000 to buy a $100,000 car.

In GA, there is a new law that allows you to avoid yearly car taxes by paying 6.5% up front. It's complicated. My old longhood cars were bought before the law changed. I am keeping them forever.

My 991 is still the best car that I've ever owned (Agate is the faster color).
Old 04-03-2015, 06:12 AM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 454 Likes on 201 Posts

Sales taxes are regressive, yet curiously for the most part they are voluntary. In most jurisdictions they are not imposed on necessities like food, shelter and clothing. I too am in a high tax bracket paying to reduce the Reagan-Bush-Bush deficits. Unfortunately sales tax in Pennsylvania is levied on some essentials - I paid 6% of the price of my 911 How fast is Agate? It is so fast I was issued a speeding citation while parked in my garage and I was clocked on radar.

Last edited by rnl; 04-03-2015 at 08:34 AM.
Old 04-03-2015, 04:04 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by rnl
Sales taxes are regressive, yet curiously for the most part they are voluntary. In most jurisdictions they are not imposed on necessities like food, shelter and clothing. I too am in a high tax bracket paying to reduce the Reagan-Bush-Bush deficits.
Yeah, it's amazing that as strong as they were on deficit spending, one man has been able to eclipse not only them, but the cumulative deficit spending of every other president who ever took the oath!

50% will be looked back on wistfully when the bill comes due for the last 6 years.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:36 PM
TAch Miami
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I sold a car to an independent dealer and yes…no transfer of the tax credit to a purchase from another dealer or individual. He did say my tax credit was good for a year from the deal on buying a car from him.

Old 04-04-2015, 12:50 AM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

In Texas, if you trade in a car on a new one, the tax is paid on the difference in values so you do get a break on the 6.25% state tax. And it wouldn't matter what you owed on the car, only the dollar amount they are paying you for the car. (example, you trade in a car you owe $15K on for a $30K car and the dealer only pays you $10K for it. You would pay sales tax on $20K, 30-20, but you would now owe $35K for the new car minus any trade in.)
You do not get to take this "credit" from one dealer to another, or use it on a private party sale. Some dealers will run two private customers through their store as a "pass through" for a fee. Might be worth it to pay $500 or so if you're saving several thousand on taxes somewhere in the transaction.
Old 04-04-2015, 06:45 AM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Yeah, it's amazing that as strong as they were on deficit spending, one man has been able to eclipse not only them, but the cumulative deficit spending of every other president who ever took the oath! 50% will be looked back on wistfully when the bill comes due for the last 6 years.
You may have left Fox News on too long.

http://www.cbo.gov
Old 04-04-2015, 11:28 PM
VintageRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 461 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by rnl
This is not a good place to attack anyone that may have different political opinions than you.
Old 04-05-2015, 01:11 AM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by VintageRacer
This is not a good place to attack anyone that may have different political opinions than you.
The issue was one of fact - the size of the deficit for each president.
My statement did not reflect my political bent or belief
Fact is not a matter of opinion political or otherwise.
The link attached goes to an office of Congress charged with issuing factual based pronouncements including the actual deficit numbers.

.... As for Fox News the question as to whether it dispenses facts with respect to the deficit is not a matter of opinion. It is a question of fact.
Old 04-05-2015, 09:10 AM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by VintageRacer

Originally Posted by rnl
The issue was one of fact - the size of the deficit for each president.
My statement did not reflect my political bent or belief
Fact is not a matter of opinion political or otherwise.
The link attached goes to an office of Congress charged with issuing factual based pronouncements including the actual deficit numbers.

.... As for Fox News the question as to whether it dispenses facts with respect to the deficit is not a matter of opinion. It is a question of fact.
I encourage you both to chat in the political section. Head's up though, it isn't for the faint of heart.
Old 07-06-2015, 12:04 AM
Jasonyaco
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should have never bought the jeep to begin with ��
Old 07-06-2015, 02:13 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,604 Likes on 2,343 Posts

Originally Posted by rnl

http://www.cbo.gov
everyone should know about the CBO IMO... regardless/independent of political beliefs.
Old 07-06-2015, 04:12 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 235 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by pfan
And if you really want to be upset about taxes and auto registration fees, move to California.
Tell me about it. I never register any of my cars anymore in Cali. That's why I bought a second home in a state with better taxes. As an aside, Cali has been good to me for home values. Where else can you buy a house for $76K in 1974 and now be worth $2.8M?

Quick Reply: Taxes?!