991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Taxes?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015 | 07:49 PM
Leverageconsult
Advanced

So this is my question. I live in the state of Florida. Typically when you trade in the vehicle and they give you a certain amount, you deduct that amount from the vehicle you're buying and the difference is what you pay. I recently traded in my Jeep Wrangler 2015 to car max for 34k. Only had it for 6 mos. I was a little upset that I couldn't get a tax break since I was buying the Porsche from a private individual. That I spoke to the sales person and they told me that since my vehicle was upside down (owed 36k) I wouldn't have been allowed to get a tax break. Had no clue that if there is a loan on the vehicle you cannot get a tax break. Could somebody clarify this for me. When I registered my vehicle the other day I was talking with the clerk and told her that with proof of sale to a dealer I should be able to provide them the documents and they should credit me the $2000 that I would've received if I would've just bought a car from the dealer instead of a private party. She said that she totally agreed but that's not how the law reads. I think we should put a bill together that would state that if you trade your vehicle into a dealer such as Carmax then utilize that paperwork at the tag office for any other vehicle you purchased to get the credit. Okay I'm done complaining from now. Lol.
Old 03-31-2015 | 08:38 PM
chuck911
Race Car

I can hear the howls already, and especially when I use the "C" word, but the fact is that under the Constitution ours is a government of enumerated powers. The literal meaning of this is government has no powers other than those granted in the Constitution. It is without dispute that our Constitution was written by some of the most learned and accomplished writers on the planet, yet somehow whenever anyone brings up the obvious point that we are not following its clear intent they are reflexively dismissed. This despite the fact that pretty much every single problem facing the nation today is ultimately rooted in UNconstitutionalism.

So anyway, to fix your problem, start with a bill requiring that all laws find direct support in the Constituion, and the Constitution alone- emphatically NOT to include Supreme Court precedents.

Problem solved. And you can forget about vehicle registration, drivers license, air bags, turbo's….
Old 03-31-2015 | 09:03 PM
STG
Race Director

Old 03-31-2015 | 09:16 PM
Leverageconsult
Advanced

Lol. Ok. Not the response I expected but typical.
Old 03-31-2015 | 09:23 PM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Ur screwed! It only works in Fl as a deduction on the price as a trade in. You're not entitled (God I hate that word) if you trade it to the same person/company as the vehicle you bought.
Old 03-31-2015 | 10:27 PM
GrandLaker
Racer

Originally Posted by Leverageconsult
So this is my question. I live in the state of Florida. Typically when you trade in the vehicle and they give you a certain amount, you deduct that amount from the vehicle you're buying and the difference is what you pay. I recently traded in my Jeep Wrangler 2015 to car max for 34k. Only had it for 6 mos. I was a little upset that I couldn't get a tax break since I was buying the Porsche from a private individual. That I spoke to the sales person and they told me that since my vehicle was upside down (owed 36k) I wouldn't have been allowed to get a tax break. Had no clue that if there is a loan on the vehicle you cannot get a tax break. Could somebody clarify this for me. When I registered my vehicle the other day I was talking with the clerk and told her that with proof of sale to a dealer I should be able to provide them the documents and they should credit me the $2000 that I would've received if I would've just bought a car from the dealer instead of a private party. She said that she totally agreed but that's not how the law reads. I think we should put a bill together that would state that if you trade your vehicle into a dealer such as Carmax then utilize that paperwork at the tag office for any other vehicle you purchased to get the credit. Okay I'm done complaining from now. Lol.
In Oklahoma you pay tax on what new car costs and if you have a trade in they don't reduce for that amount. No incentive certainly to trade frequently as a result. The good news is in second year and beyond of renewing tag/paying taxes it's maxed out at $92 a year, no matter what your vehicle is valued at.
Old 03-31-2015 | 11:57 PM
pfan
Pro

And if you really want to be upset about taxes and auto registration fees, move to California.
Old 04-01-2015 | 12:14 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

If you find a way to buy a new car and trade it in a few months later without being hosed six ways to Sunday, that will be an interesting post.
Old 04-01-2015 | 01:08 AM
riozilla
Instructor

Originally Posted by pfan
And if you really want to be upset about taxes and auto registration fees, move to California.
this ++ all day long..
Old 04-01-2015 | 02:27 AM
CliffJumper RS
Instructor

+1
Old 04-01-2015 | 02:53 AM
77tony
Rennlist Member

Montana LLC. Do a little research to determine if it will work for you.02 T
Old 04-01-2015 | 10:28 AM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Or live in NY and buy a turbo in FL and find out that the dealer never paid the sales tax when you register the car. Teller at the DMV told me to pay $13K to get plates, it took me a month to sort it out. Related, I'm sure there is a formula how snarky a DMV person is in proportion to the cost of the car. Let's just say people had very little empathy. LOL!
Old 04-01-2015 | 11:33 AM
shaytun
Burning Brakes

Can you buy from Florida if you have an address there but live in another state without a Florida license. Basically to avoid higher CA taxes. And if so in FL you don't have to physically take the car in for emissions, correct?
Old 04-01-2015 | 12:24 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Originally Posted by shaytun
Can you buy from Florida if you have an address there but live in another state without a Florida license. Basically to avoid higher CA taxes. And if so in FL you don't have to physically take the car in for emissions, correct?
Half the people in my ATL neighborhood have FL plates. I have a beach house but it's in GA, not FL. BUT, I have a truck I keep down there, and didn't want to have to deal with emissions testing (not required there, required in ATL.) So I was able to register it in the county where the truck lives, even though that's not my residence. I suspect such is the same with the FL plates for people in GA. Either they have "established residence" at their place in FL (meaning claimed they live there at least 183 days a year), or they have claimed the car lives there. (In neither case does it seem to be true, but who am I to say?)

But for me, it was easy enough to fill out some papers on the truck and get a Glynn County tag for it. No proof required, except an address where it lives.
Old 04-01-2015 | 12:26 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

LeverageConsult -- I don't believe you are entitled to the "tax only on the delta" escape. The intention (I'm sure it was created by car-industry lobbyists) is to reward you for trading your car in on a new one, not selling to a dealer and then "screwing him" by buying elsewhere. So no car salesman is going to help you out here, or give you correct info, or anything else. They want you to trade the car in to them. Even though they'll give you less, the fact that you save on the tax bill helps close that gap. Whole intent of that wiggle in the sales tax law.

Quick Reply: Taxes?!