Sponsored by:

Red Leather Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 03:10 PM
shaytun
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Red Leather Opinions

I'm configuring my potential GTS, and despite popular opinion I think I'm leaning toward a the Black/Garnet leather option. I wish deviated (black) carpet was available but that is not a possibility on GTS models. The reason I'm going leather instead of Alcantara is durability. This will be a daily driver with about 15k mile a year. I've always wanted a red interior car, as I've always had a dark color.

That being said, what's been the experience with Porsche's red leather. Will it fade compared to the passenger seat that won't get much use. Will there be an issue with staining from clothes (denim) that has been noted in other lighter leathers or at the location of the door handle. The beauty of black is it hides imperfections, but it can get boring sometimes.
Attached Images  
Old 03-31-2015, 03:16 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,407 Likes on 2,514 Posts

Will look great. Classic. If you want some black on the floor to break up all the red, either buy black floor mats or the black rubber Porsche mats. The rubber mats from Porsche are great.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 03-31-2015, 03:27 PM
shaytun
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LexVan
Will look great. Classic. If you want some black on the floor to break up all the red, either buy black floor mats or the black rubber Porsche mats. The rubber mats from Porsche are great.

Thanks. It comes with black floor mats. Are the rubber mats bigger?
Old 03-31-2015, 04:25 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

shaytun,

That interior will be AWESOME! Just so you know, most pictures that I have seen of Carrera Red (the predecessor to Garnet Red) are over exposed and look much brighter than how it looks in person. I have seen Carrera Red in person and it is a very rich color, having more cranberry in it that what is displayed in most pictures.

I know you don't even have the car yet, but since it appears that you are also ordering a manual transmission, I would like to have the first option to buy it, if and when you decide to sell it. I am serious.

BTW, what are the other options you are ordering on our... er, I mean... your car?
Old 03-31-2015, 04:30 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,407 Likes on 2,514 Posts

Originally Posted by shaytun
Thanks. It comes with black floor mats. Are the rubber mats bigger?
They are not bigger. But they are awesomer.

Old 03-31-2015, 04:39 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

My GT Silver over Black/Garnet was built a week ago today. I am really pumped. Only red interior I ever had before was my wife's car when we married, an already old 82 Celebrity with Iron Duke 2.5 liter four. GM's idea of "red interior" was build everything out of cheap plastic, open the doors, and shoot the entire thing with red dye. Every last surface was red. It was unreal.

So whenever I've seen traditional red Porsche interiors, with the red steering wheel, dash, door cards, carpets, seats, etc., I've not bonded. Also, Boxster Red was a lot oranger than this, and it got a lot of attention 18 years ago with the intro of the 986, so you saw a lot of them. It was more terra cotta, I guess.

But I got to sit in a Turbo S before ordering that was just like mine will be except for black carpets. On the Turbo S (and only that model) you can select either black or red carpets as a standard option, no Exclusive or deviated or anything. I really liked it. Just sat there for a half hour to make sure, cuz I'm not turning this one back in once I pay for it. It's a great look. They even have a great photo inside the GTS propaganda book of black/garnet interior.

I have not had a light Porsche interior, but had Cocoa Brown, which is similar to the current Espresso. And I've seen lots of Savannah Beige interiors on open cars (Boxsters and Cabs) and never noticed them looking particularly any worse than black interiors.
Attached Images  
Old 03-31-2015, 04:41 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan

you can also spec and pay for dev color carpet of your choice ( black )

or tie the dual color interior scheme together with this modern version of the classic coco mats of the past in woven black / red , which is what I would do .

they never show linty or other such small particles tracked in by shoes ..perfect for the OCD type owners

http://www.cocomats.com/coco/
Old 03-31-2015, 04:48 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Originally Posted by MKW
you can also spec and pay for dev color carpet of your choice ( black )

or tie the dual color interior scheme together with this modern version of the classic coco mats of the past in woven black / red , which is what I would do .

they never show linty or other such small particles tracked in by shoes ..perfect for the OCD type owners

LOL, I'm old skool, but I think Coco Mats stop looking right after SCs. Maybe after G-Series. They'd be a disaster in a 2015 GTS.
Old 03-31-2015, 04:58 PM
77domer
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had the previous "carrera red" with black deviated carpet for almost three years on a carrera s cab.
Top down more than 50% of the time. Wear was excellent. Color looks better in person, I agree with above. Rich looking.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:04 PM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Carrera red and Garnet red are actually the same colour. I have full red in my cabriolet (2013 991S X51) and no obvious fading on either side. I'm thrilled with it.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:06 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by MKW;12166810[B
]you can also spec and pay for dev color carpet of your choice ( black )[/B]

While you can spec deviating carpet on most of the 991 line-up, you can not spec deviating carpet on the GTS. Porsche won't allow it.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:14 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Originally Posted by gota911
While you can spec deviating carpet on most of the 991 line-up, you can not spec deviating carpet on the GTS. Porsche won't allow it.
Correct. Verified by trying to do so through GM of Premier dealer who contacted PCNA to see if there was a workaround.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:50 PM
shaytun
Burning Brakes

Yup. No deviated carpets or stitching allowed. I emailed Ms. Witek at Porsche Exclusive directly and it's a no go for the GTS. Black carpets would've been better but it's a small price to pay.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:06 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Originally Posted by shaytun
Yup. No deviated carpets or stitching allowed. I emailed Ms. Witek at Porsche Exclusive directly and it's a no go for the GTS. Black carpets would've been better but it's a small price to pay.
Can't "deviate" it from standard, but standard is red stitching on the black, as I'm sure you're aware. Looks great. If you could stick the red tach in there it'd look like a GTS interior.

(Don't do red gauges though -- you know better than that, right?)
Old 03-31-2015, 06:33 PM
shaytun
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Can't "deviate" it from standard, but standard is red stitching on the black, as I'm sure you're aware. Looks great. If you could stick the red tach in there it'd look like a GTS interior. (Don't do red gauges though -- you know better than that, right?)
Red stitching on black only with the GTS interior package. I don't like the red tach though not a deal breaker, but I wasn't convinced I wanted alcantara. If you get all leather black GTS interior you get the leather seats and alcantara everything else but no deviated stitching. Lots of combinations but none is perfect.

Quick Reply: Red Leather Opinions