Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ordering a 911 GTS. Good idea for first timer?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 08:46 PM
gmaki
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Well I took my boys out to just cruise the dealership and look at the different colors in the light of day. One of the main goals being to see a GT silver metallic car. The boys were dressed like homeless people which helped immensely as no sales people even approached us.

The first dealer (Woodland Hills) only had one car in GT Silver, and it was on the showroom floor so I could not see it in sunlight. But I could see that I liked it, and I was able to notice how fine the metallic flake was. They had a lime gold there too. Didn't hate it but not really my cup of tea.

Well we had plenty of time and Westlake was only a few miles up the freeway so we drove up there in hopes of finding a GT silver metallic car out in the sun. Westlake is the dealership that I found the white GTS at, and test drove.

Sure enough that car is still sitting right out front and the moment I saw it again I realized that white is the color I want. I like GT Silver, but white with the black rims just looks "right" to me. It looks just mean enough, but not so obnoxious you couldn't take it out.

At this point, probably about the only remaining dilemma would be Carrera white vs white. The only cars I saw were plain ol' white and I would like to get a look at carrera white one time just to see the difference.

Oh and there is a big difference between rhodium silver and GT Silver. Of those two I would take GT Silver every time.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:55 PM
mb996
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
They should've put more work into the Symposer to eliminate the resonance and make it more linear or neutral sounding. A lot depends on how much you enjoy the extra volume, how much you care that its all the same resonance. Some guys can't even stand to use it once they notice the resonance. All of this could've been engineered out with different materials and design. Carbon fiber is a lot less resonant than vuvuzela horn plastic, and the right taper combined with dampening could tame the resonant frequency. Probably they left this for something to get right for when they want to make the all-turbo cars sound better!
Yes, I think it often takes Porsche a few iterations to get things dialed in.
Old 03-30-2015, 01:08 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
Would you mind telling us what states do not charge sales tax please?
Yes, I would mind. I'm not your research assistant. But I will give you a head start and tell you Georgia is one.

(And since I said "private party sales tax" I assume that's what you mean.)
Old 03-30-2015, 01:33 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Yes, I would mind. I'm not your research assistant. But I will give you a head start and tell you Georgia is one.

(And since I said "private party sales tax" I assume that's what you mean.)
If true that is quite an incentive to purchase used instead of new. I know I would take advantage of that.
Old 03-30-2015, 03:46 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
If true that is quite an incentive to purchase used instead of new. I know I would take advantage of that.
Yes, it is. Problem is, very, very few people seem to sell six-figure cars themselves. So most stock of used cars is at a dealer of some sort.

But case in point: a few years ago I was looking for a 2004 986 Boxster S. Right at the very end of the run. I waited till 987 was out, then went shopping for leftover 986s. Dealer had a slightly-optioned 986S with an MSRP of $56,000 he was willing to go to $51,500 on. With tax that car was $55,126.

Found a 2-month old, 192-mile private party sale with an MSRP of $64,000. Negotiated down to 48,500, and that's what I wrote the check for.

The point is, even with the most aggressive negotiating, you're doing well to just get the tax paid for by the dealer, effectively (a 7% discount vs 7% tax in Fulton County, GA.) But with private, no tax to pay.

The dealer does get to close that gap if you trade, though. You only pay tax on the delta between sales price and trade allowance. Whereas if you sell outright, then buy from a dealer, you get no help. Which is what I'm doing right now.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:10 PM
Axxlrod
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gmaki
Here is is waaaay stripped down, but frankly still a car like quite a lot.

Don't read too much into the paint change as that is going to be a personal choice made after looking at a bunch of cars in person. Something I may even do today.

PGN2DUI5
http://www.porsche-code.com/PGN2DUI5
Excellent build.

I took delivery of my GTS 2 weeks ago, and love it. My car has zero options. nada. none. Sticker of $115K I think that is an excellent buy.

The only option I wish my car had was SPASM, as I would prefer the slightly lower stance.

With the GTS, less is more.

Enjoy!

Last edited by Axxlrod; 08-21-2015 at 03:05 PM.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:40 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Yes, it is. Problem is, very, very few people seem to sell six-figure cars themselves.
People usually buy Porsches so finding them isn't to difficult. There around and if you are able to source one from out of state because there aren't many in your state. I would consider that an optional choice.
Old 03-31-2015, 03:31 PM
Tom Tweed
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

The dealer does get to close that gap if you trade, though. You only pay tax on the delta between sales price and trade allowance.
Wish the tax situation was like that in CA. Here they charge you sales tax on the full retail price, regardless of trade-in allowance. If you buy a car from out of state (new or used), they charge you "use" tax at the DMV when you register it, which is the same rate as sales tax. There is no way out of paying 7-8% on any purchase (depending on which city or county you live in)

TT
Old 03-31-2015, 07:06 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts

Great first post! Lots of interesting comments. Ultimately you are the one that has to be happy. I think the bottom line is that any GTS is a good one. Seems like you are on the right track. Good luck!
Old 04-01-2015, 11:47 AM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Interesting post. Similar situation coming up for me. Got the wife to agree to a first Porsche but only in a year or two. Was considering the Cayman GT4 until clueless me called the dealer. They are getting 12 and the wait list is 25 Since I will have to wait I decided to go for a 911 and get the extra seats...and the extra cost! Leaning toward a GTS. I think my wife is hoping my desire for a Porsche will fade away. Not a chance! Been riding and tracking fast motorcycles for years so looking forward to finally adding a respectable car to the stable
Old 04-01-2015, 11:10 PM
gmaki
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

So on the Porsche website for the GTS, they mention "Sports Bucket Seats" but I don't seem to see those on the configurator. Can anyone enlighten me on this one? I would really love to spec the car with racing seats if it was possible.

http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/91...comfort/seats/

Quick Reply: Ordering a 911 GTS. Good idea for first timer?