Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ordering a 911 GTS. Good idea for first timer?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 11:19 AM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

Welcome and congrats on pulling the trigger!

My thoughts - isn't a very well optioned GTS within a hair of the price of an optioned GT3? IMHO I would search for a used GT3. Yes, you might pay MSRP or a tad below it but it will be the ultimate car I think. Also, there will be plenty to go around as the RS gets delivered.

I figure a well optioned GTS will be about US $140k. A GT3 might be about US $150k.

When you're already spending that much you might as well go for the extra $10k. Unless you REALLY a need the rear seats (which it sounds like you don't).

See if you can find someone to take you for a spin in one. That might just change your mind.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:20 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
Would you mind telling us what states do not charge sales tax please?
I would like to know also. In North Carolina, you don't pay a sales tax on a private sale/purchase of a car when you buy it. But when you go to DMV to register the car for tags and title, you pay sales tax at that time. You pay sales tax on the full amount of the value of the car as determined by DMV.
Old 03-29-2015, 12:05 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

To the OP. I had the same dilemma as you a few months back. My GTS order came in early and to add to that. The dealer had a low option GT3 setting in the showroom. I decided on the GTS. I thought I was going to regret my decision and a few times I did. But over the last few hundred miles of driving. I am really in love with the car. I actually also have a deposit on a Gt4 with an allocation that I'm going to be dropping because I have seriously become attached to the GTS.
Old 03-29-2015, 12:09 PM
gmaki
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by trysixty
Lofty goals. You either work too much or live in Alaska. Every time you see that car in the garage on a beautiful day you are going to cheat. And every time you and the significant other are out for a ride you are going to wish you would of ordered some of the comforts options
I agree those goals sound lofty but I am very confident in them for a few reasons. First off being that I have spend my fair share of time in track cars and I love them. I actually love overly stiff suspension, even when driving to the store for a gallon of milk (something my married *** never does anyway but you get the point). I have never, once in my life longed for creature comforts. I use the radio when I drive to work, but other than that I often forget I even have one.

The only comfort I would concede is temperature control. Living in California, AC is a must.

Secondly, I just bought my wife a brand new E350 and while nothing special compared to a GT3, when it comes to going out on a "date" or on our average road trip this car would be our first choice over a 911, no matter how optioned it would ever be. I really do love that car as practical transportation machine.

As far as my commute, I own a fully electric that provides me HOV lane access and has no clutch. Did I mention I live in California? The 911 will almost never go to the job I can assure you of that.

Anyway, as with everything I could be completely deluded, but I am as confident as i can be that I would keep this car low miles. Not to mention if I did get a GT3 and I was wrong, I would not lose too much (if anything) selling it. If I get the GTS and need to sell, that would probably be a bad situation.
Old 03-29-2015, 12:20 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

The GT3 will fair better on the depreciation front than the GTS, but don't think you'll be off the hook. Not losing barely or none buying one isn't realistic. There's a lot of them out there, plus other new models/versions coming out. A 991.2 GT3 could be on the near horizon too.

Buy the car you want. Cars are never the smartest investment.
Old 03-29-2015, 12:25 PM
gmaki
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by STG991
The GT3 will fair better on the depreciation front than the GTS, but don't think you'll be off the hook. Not losing barely or none buying one isn't realistic. There's a lot of them out there, plus other new models/versions coming out. A 991.2 GT3 could be on the near horizon too.

Buy the car you want. Cars are never the smartest investment.
As I stated in my original post I am not looking at it as an investment, or at least not a financial one. I am being as careful as I can to make sure I get a car that I will keep until I hand it over to one of my children.

The post about resale was only in the unlikely event that for some reason I don't enjoy the car I get. believe me when I tell you that is extremely unlikely.
Old 03-29-2015, 12:29 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by gmaki
As I stated in my original post I am not looking at it as an investment, or at least not a financial one. I am being as careful as I can to make sure I get a car that I will keep until I hand it over to one of my children. The post about resale was only in the unlikely event that for some reason I don't enjoy the car I get. believe me when I tell you that is extremely unlikely.
If you want to give it to your kids, by then, odds are they'll be worth as much or more than the cost now for those two.

In 20 plus years, a NA GTS (in manual), and a NA GT3 will be very desirable. The last of the NA's will be collectors.

Either car is a blast to drive! Both have their own personality and nuisances. Spend time driving both. It's a personal choice and preference.

Reading your other comments, I think you'll go with the stripper GTS. After all it's like 30K cheaper than any GT3 you'll find. If you're going to be on the street with it mostly, you'll probably enjoy it more in the lower RPM range. Transmission wise and exhaust sound.

Last edited by STG; 03-29-2015 at 01:11 PM.
Old 03-29-2015, 01:19 PM
STG
Race Director

Here is the code I came up with. Pretty minimal. PGBJK6Q6 http://www.porsche-code.com/PGBJK6Q6
Great build. Totally just for you, the GTS, and the road. Want to save money, drop the PDCC. Keep the Sport PASM.

I've heard the PDCC can give the car an artificial feeling. Not "as one" with the road.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:03 PM
gmaki
Burning Brakes

Great build. Totally just for you, the GTS, and the road. Want to save money, drop the PDCC. Keep the Sport PASM.

I've heard the PDCC can give the car an artificial feeling. Not "as one" with the road.
Thanks, and yes PDCC and PASM are options I am not certain about, and of course welcome any and all advice from more knowledgeable people than myself. My thinking was along the lines of "well it's a performance option, so I'll take it!" but to the extent that you get not so much performance and added complexity (more things to break) then I would rather pass.

I will do some reading up on PDCC in the meantime.

Also you might notice that I picked the GT Silver color as opposed to white. I like the look of both colors equally. GT Silver seems to be the slightly unique option which is really the only reason I selected that. Not to mention both the other cars in my garage are white so some variety might be welcome there.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:09 PM
STG
Race Director

Thanks, and yes PDCC and PASM are options I am not certain about, and of course welcome any and all advice from more knowledgeable people than myself. My thinking was along the lines of "well it's a performance option, so I'll take it!" but to the extent that you get not so much performance and added complexity (more things to break) then I would rather pass. I will do some reading up on PDCC in the meantime. Also you might notice that I picked the GT Silver color as opposed to white. I like the look of both colors equally. GT Silver seems to be the slightly unique option which is really the only reason I selected that. Not to mention both the other cars in my garage are white so some variety might be welcome there.
The S-PASM gives it a lower stance. Go for it. A MUST have performance option.

PDCC - drop it.

GT Silver - worth every penny!
Old 03-29-2015, 03:14 PM
gmaki
Burning Brakes

The S-PASM gives it a lower stance. Go for it. A MUST have performance option.

PDCC - drop it.

GT Silver - worth every penny!
This is hilarious. While we have been exchanging comment here I have been having the following conversation with my sales rep.

Sales guy: "Ok, let me know if you would like to order one."

Me: "I will and thank you!. I would like to look at a GT silver car as I think I might prefer that to White. If you had one with black rims even better. All I would want to do is stop by and look at it just to get a sense of it."

Sales guy: "GT Silver is special order only and a $3K premium."

Me: "I understand. That is why I would like to see a car in that color in person to make sure I actually like it."

Sales guy: "to be honest it is very very close to Rhodium Silver...I personally would not pay the extra money for it."

I am beginning to think since I did not buy the car off the lot, he is losing interest in me as a customer. Might be time to find another dealer.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:16 PM
STG
Race Director

Very close to Rhodium??

Not even close! Rhodium had a bluish tint to it. Not a fan.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:20 PM
gmaki
Burning Brakes

Very close to Rhodium??

Not even close! Rhodium had a bluish tint to it. Not a fan.
Yeah whether it is or isn't I am just asking the guy if I can come over and look at one with my eyes. Mind you I work 4 miles from the dealership.

When I was interested in a car on the lot he was all about helping me, making suggestions, and advising me.

Now that I passed on the car he seems to have lost interest. I don't like that. I understand he is there to make a living which is why I told him if I ordered a car I want to go through him. But he clearly wants a buck now, or he doesn't care.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:23 PM
STG
Race Director

Default The choice is clear

Rhodium

Rhodium

GT Silver GTS

GT Silver

GT Silver GTS. You want this!
Old 03-29-2015, 03:24 PM
gmaki
Burning Brakes

Yes sir, that is one good looking car!

Quick Reply: Ordering a 911 GTS. Good idea for first timer?