Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ordering a 911 GTS. Good idea for first timer?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 03:27 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

My advice:

Go car shopping on a bunch of lots and see them in person. That's what I do. No need to ask for permission or chat with the sales guys.

Decide what you like and find the best deal you can. Nothing less than 5% off sticker.

Good luck.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:29 PM
gmaki
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, that is what I will do.

I expect loyalty from those around me, and I always try to return it to those who earn it. I took up a lot of this guys time, and he gave me a test drive and to me that deserves at least some amount of loyalty.

But it only goes so far.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:33 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Its not just the GT Silver, its the Espresso. Great together.

For a GTS though you have to stick with Alcantara, as that is part of the performance theme. Hey, I don't make the rules, I only report on them!

The one option you're considering that really belongs on the car is SPASM. GT Silver, SPASM, that's it, you're done.

Almost. Don't forget the Smoking Package.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:34 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by gmaki
Yeah, that is what I will do. I expect loyalty from those around me, and I always try to return it to those who earn it. I took up a lot of this guys time, and he gave me a test drive and to me that deserves at least some amount of loyalty. But it only goes so far.
^^ I'm the same way.

When it comes to dealers, it's a different story. There are the top 5% of sales guys that are stand up guys. The rest are snakes and could care less about you other than a commission check today. Like a bad gold digger. Will drop you on a dime. Get the car you want at the best price. Simple.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:36 PM
gmaki
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by chuck911
Its not just the GT Silver, its the Espresso. Great together.

For a GTS though you have to stick with Alcantara, as that is part of the performance theme. Hey, I don't make the rules, I only report on them!

The one option you're considering that really belongs on the car is SPASM. GT Silver, SPASM, that's it, you're done.

Almost. Don't forget the Smoking Package.
Hmm, I did not get the smoking package.

Also, I did pick a steering wheel option which if I understand correctly changes it from alcantara to leather. I recall reading somewhere that an alcantara wheel will get ruined from using bare hands on it. I don't want to put gloves on every time I drive the car.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:44 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts

Had the PDCC on previous 991S. Passed on it for the GTS. Agree, S/PASM a must. Color, sorry, I know it's a matter of taste, but I just can't bring myself to pay $3K for paint, especially if budget is at all a concern. Not going to get it back on resale, that's for sure. I can see spending $750 for some of the other optional colors, but that's the limit. BTW, I recently saw a GTS Silver and Rhodium silver side by side at my dealership. Didn't know one from the other but asked the sales rep the color of the one that "popped" to my eyes. It was the Rhodium. Almost chose it for my order. Again, a matter of personal taste. The GTS comes standard with a lot of added options. If budget is at all a concern, a MT with S/PASM and an second tier color retails for about $116K. Should get at least 5% discount,so you are at somewhere around $110K before taxes. That's a lot of car for the buck.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:51 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Hmm, I did not get the smoking package.

Also, I did pick a steering wheel option which if I understand correctly changes it from alcantara to leather. I recall reading somewhere that an alcantara wheel will get ruined from using bare hands on it. I don't want to put gloves on every time I drive the car.
+1 on the Smoking pkg. Check the option list closely. There are several "free" options if they strike your fancy, i.e. smoking package 583, luggage net in footwell 581, sport design steering wheel 840, center console trim in brushed aluminum XYE, brushed aluminum interior pkg EGD, and more.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:52 PM
fastdiablo
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by KBS911
Had the PDCC on previous 991S. Passed on it for the GTS. Agree, S/PASM a must. Color, sorry, I know it's a matter of taste, but I just can't bring myself to pay $3K for paint, especially if budget is at all a concern. Not going to get it back on resale, that's for sure. I can see spending $750 for some of the other optional colors, but that's the limit. BTW, I recently saw a GTS Silver and Rhodium silver side by side at my dealership. Didn't know one from the other but asked the sales rep the color of the one that "popped" to my eyes. It was the Rhodium. Almost chose it for my order. Again, a matter of personal taste. The GTS comes standard with a lot of added options. If budget is at all a concern, a MT with S/PASM and an second tier color retails for about $116K. Should get at least 5% discount,so you are at somewhere around $110K before taxes. That's a lot of car for the buck.
this is interesting. i have seen GT Silver and Rhodium side by side and see a HUGE difference that to me, changes the car completely. To my eye, Rhodium seems brassy and oxidized and dare I say a little cheap. GT looks like a richer, deeper color with much more grey in it. GT silver is a no brainer at 3k in my mind. ymmv

Last edited by fastdiablo; 03-29-2015 at 03:53 PM. Reason: edit
Old 03-29-2015, 04:05 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fastdiablo
this is interesting. i have seen GT Silver and Rhodium side by side and see a HUGE difference that to me, changes the car completely. To my eye, Rhodium seems brassy and oxidized and dare I say a little cheap. GT looks like a richer, deeper color with much more grey in it. GT silver is a no brainer at 3k in my mind. ymmv
It was a bright day, lots of sunshine. Rhodium looked like polished billet metal to me, GT silver, well...... just grey. You can never win an argument on color, it's personal. That's why they make so many color options I guess.
Old 03-29-2015, 05:12 PM
gmaki
Burning Brakes

Here is is waaaay stripped down, but frankly still a car like quite a lot.

Don't read too much into the paint change as that is going to be a personal choice made after looking at a bunch of cars in person. Something I may even do today.

PGN2DUI5
http://www.porsche-code.com/PGN2DUI5
Old 03-29-2015, 05:13 PM
STG
Race Director

Here is is waaaay stripped down, but frankly still a car like quite a lot. Don't read too much into the paint change as that is going to be a personal choice made after looking at a bunch of cars in person. Something I may even do today. PGN2DUI5 http://www.porsche-code.com/PGN2DUI5
That's it!! Bingo. Color is up to you.

Build is sweet! No sunroof correct?

A deal for around 110K after discount.

Make sure it's a 2016 too!!

Check out Lava Orange
Old 03-29-2015, 05:22 PM
gmaki
Burning Brakes

Yeah sport PASM is the only money option
Old 03-29-2015, 05:24 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Here is is waaaay stripped down, but frankly still a car like quite a lot.

Don't read too much into the paint change as that is going to be a personal choice made after looking at a bunch of cars in person. Something I may even do today.

PGN2DUI5
http://www.porsche-code.com/PGN2DUI5
That's what I'm talking about! A lot of car, indeed!
Old 03-29-2015, 06:26 PM
mb996
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just took delivery of a GT silver GTS, manual, SPASM, no sunroof, CL's, black leather, LED headlights. I had a 6-speed 997.2 S that I really loved. My brief impressions from the first 100 miles, both positives and negatives:

The Getawayer is absolutely correct, this is a very, very sweet car. The engine sound is intoxicating. The manual gearchange is perfect, the best 911 gearchange I have ever experienced, and I would say close to an S2000 - light, quick, and accurate. The clutch travel and feel are also perfect. I understand the smile on Guido's face when he describes it. It does not have a lot of mechanical feel, but IMO this is a far better gearchange than the 997.2 including the Porsche SSK. The flexibility, power/torque, and rev-happy nature of the motor is amazing. I can only imagine how it will improve as it breaks in. It is more comfortable than the 997.2 yet handles better, at least in normal mode. I haven't yet tried SPASM sport or pushed the car very hard. I believe it will be a better daily driver than the 997.2.

Three small things - in no way complaints (yet). First, the feedback from the electric steering is slightly less than the 997.2 power steering, maybe 90% of the 997.2, at least under the driving I have done so far. It is very, very good. Second, there is a slight resonance in the cabin under light throttle with PSE engaged between 2500-3000 rpm in 3rd/4th. It might be the sound symposer, I will experiment when I have some time. Finally, like all the 911s I've seen recently, it has Pirelli tires, which I am not fond of for many reasons. As soon as they wear out I will be replacing them with Michelins.

IMO if you want a modern, NA, manual 911 this is the model to get. It is about as close to perfect as I could imagine.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:42 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

They should've put more work into the Symposer to eliminate the resonance and make it more linear or neutral sounding. A lot depends on how much you enjoy the extra volume, how much you care that its all the same resonance. Some guys can't even stand to use it once they notice the resonance. All of this could've been engineered out with different materials and design. Carbon fiber is a lot less resonant than vuvuzela horn plastic, and the right taper combined with dampening could tame the resonant frequency. Probably they left this for something to get right for when they want to make the all-turbo cars sound better!

Quick Reply: Ordering a 911 GTS. Good idea for first timer?