Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New GTS Build: The Last NA Manual? Collector Car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 07:30 PM
kaution321
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket_boy
Be careful here..... The GTS comes standard with the Sport Design (non-MF) wheel in Alcantara,....so if this is what you want don't order any wheel option. (yes, I believe this is the only wheel in alcantara) You can order the Sport Design wheel in leather (same wheel, just all leather). I believe there have been a couple people here that really wanted the sport design wheel,....so they selected it on the configurator, *but* this is the all leather one, not the standard Alcantara version,....and that is what you will get if ordered, an all leather SD wheel, not what some people expected.
Your right that could be a bit confusing on the configurator. I think the GTS makes sense in alcantara since its a zero cost option for this model.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:15 PM
mathfuzzy
Rennlist Member

Received 400 Likes on 134 Posts

What a great video - thanks for posting!

I was thinking I'd be specifying the PDK after a lifetime of driving cars, and especially 911s, with three pedals. But I'm now quite sure that the right path for me is the manual. I was a little concerned about the extra gear and living with it in practice, but particularly where it is in the shift pattern it seems like no big deal. Treat the car like a six speed for the most part and use 7th as an overdrive cruise gear on the highway.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:02 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,613 Likes on 2,349 Posts

Originally Posted by mathfuzzy
What a great video - thanks for posting!

I was thinking I'd be specifying the PDK after a lifetime of driving cars, and especially 911s, with three pedals. But I'm now quite sure that the right path for me is the manual. I was a little concerned about the extra gear and living with it in practice, but particularly where it is in the shift pattern it seems like no big deal. Treat the car like a six speed for the most part and use 7th as an overdrive cruise gear on the highway.
PDK's apparently lock out 7th gear when in Sport+ (and maybe even sport, I dont recollect)...

but I agree, if you *have* to have at least one manual car, this should probably be it... I would have specced manual for my GTS, but I want my wife to be able to drive it, and I have the GT3 (which she cant drive) when I feel the need to use my left foot for the purpose god intended it for!
Old 03-26-2015, 08:09 PM
kaution321
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
PDK's apparently lock out 7th gear when in Sport+ (and maybe even sport, I dont recollect)... but I agree, if you *have* to have at least one manual car, this should probably be it... I would have specced manual for my GTS, but I want my wife to be able to drive it, and I have the GT3 (which she cant drive) when I feel the need to use my left foot for the purpose god intended it for!
Yes 7th gear gets locked out only in Sport+.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:11 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,613 Likes on 2,349 Posts

Originally Posted by kaution321
thought so, but I wasn't 100% certain, makes total sense, thanks!
Old 03-26-2015, 08:42 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
I believe there's a few issues here at play. There may be a threshold where HP and TQ overcomes the ability of the rear wheels to manage traction well. Therefore AWD is intended as an aid to provide additional traction. Where that threshold is. Can determine whether or not AWD is needed as an aid or can be dropped. Porsche seems to think that with the high TQ of the turbo it's a must have.
As we can see with there line up. Not all 911's need AWD. The GT cars with much lower TQ seem to do just fine and even better without the use of AWD. So it seems that the added TQ is why the safety net is needed to provide additional traction and stability because of the characteristics of the vehicle.

The overall benefits of AWD also includes additional traction when launching and better traction in weather related situations.

Now the downside of having AWD is the added weight and if we look at say a 991 4s we can see that it doesn't corner as well as a regular s on the track. It simply doesn't produce faster lap times. Where one would benefit with AWD in a 4s wouldn't be for performance but for the weather related situations. Some may also benefit from the adverse affects of over-steer while on track. That's more of a drives aid for those that haven't mastered over-steer in a 911. It can be quite helpful for a non professional. As I stated before though. It's actually slower but a safer experience cornering.
On the track a GT2 would probably be the desired vehicle of choice for faster lap time. I'm sure that it would be a handful to handle in the hands of a non professional.
This is good as far as it goes but leaves out the one factor Porsche has actually said is important- which I'm not surprised nobody knows because it was so long ago. Back in the 70's, I think it was, they published an article showing how much power is wasted heating tires under high loads. Tires back then were nowhere near as low profile as today, so probably some of this has changed. But they showed tires being pretty efficient accelerating a car with up to a couple hundred hp. Somewhere around 300-350 though the tire starts flexing and heating and wasting power. As power increases so does this waste factor, so that at some point the efficiency gains of AWD cancel out (or better) the adverse effects of AWD's added weight.

Hard to believe today, but back when Porsche was first talking about this 300 was an awful lot of horsepower!

The other factors you mentioned are significant. That's why they make some very high power cars only RWD, while others are only AWD- and some in between, we get a choice. Intended market and use matters too. But it was efficiency that got them going there in the first place.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:32 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 330 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by kaution321
Based on my experience it appears that 7th is not used in Sport mode either... or at least I have yet to see 7th selected when in Sport/Auto mode.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:32 PM
hoppah
Advanced

Originally Posted by HRE Wheels
For ease:

Love those HRE wheels. For me, the amount I love my wheels is basically directly proportional to how simple they are to clean. The coolest looking wheel sucks giant monkey ***** the instant you're down there trying to wipe tiny crevices full of brake dust. The worst were those basket-weave BBS wheels on the BMWs in the 1990s, or those goddamn spoked wheels that have actual wire spokes. The HREs look like they'd be easy to clean, nice big holes in between the spokes. You could even reach through those holes and clean the inner surface - a big plus. For me, the fewer spokes the better.

H.

Last edited by hoppah; 03-27-2015 at 03:03 AM.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:35 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,301 Likes on 886 Posts
Default ~

Originally Posted by Vise
Based on my experience it appears that 7th is not used in Sport mode either... or at least I have yet to see 7th selected when in Sport/Auto mode.
If it's like the PDK in my 981S, it will select 7th in Sport mode once you hit 70 MPH. In non-Sport mode, I think the shift point is more like 45 MPH.

One minor gripe is that it always uses the ~45 MPH shift point when running with cruise control active, even in Sport mode.

Quick Reply: New GTS Build: The Last NA Manual? Collector Car?