Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New GTS Build: The Last NA Manual? Collector Car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 11:04 PM
rusty22039
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the heated wheel / seats do we lose the alcantara options and have to go leather. Isn't terribly clear on the configurator, or I'm misreading it. Also, can you get the multifunction wheel (in alcantara)?

I could be wrong on this, but I think the alcantara only comes on the Sport Design wheel, whereas the MF wheel is leather. Good point there. I was worried as to the durability of the Alcantara on the SW and I do sort of miss the steering wheel controls on my current SD wheel. I thought the CF wheel looked great regardless.

As far as heating of the wheel and seats, they are independent of each other. You can specify either/or/both.
Old 03-19-2015, 11:13 PM
sean7a
Intermediate

I understand they can be optioned separately but I was worried about losing the alcantara if I went heated. This would be a DD in NY, need / want that heated wheel n seats. From what I can tell, I wouldn't lose the alcantara wheel or seats if I went heated, but it seems if I went vented seats, then you lose the alcantara.
Old 03-19-2015, 11:39 PM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 330 Likes on 219 Posts

Alcantara seats can have heat, no ventilation
Leather seats can have both heat and ventilation
MF wheel only comes in leather (can have heat as an option on it)
MF wheel can be ordered in carbon and comes with heated option standard.

I like the Alcantara for the seating surfaces, but for the wheel I ordered the Carbon MF and the leather/carbon PDK shifter.
Old 03-19-2015, 11:57 PM
sean7a
Intermediate

So Ill stick with heated seats and a non multi function wheel. Are there two wheel options that are alcantara or just one (the stock GTS wheel)?

To each their own, but no way I'd go with a leather wheel after experiencing an alcantara wheel. So grippy n tactile
Old 03-20-2015, 12:29 AM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 330 Likes on 219 Posts

Be careful here.....

The GTS comes standard with the Sport Design (non-MF) wheel in Alcantara,....so if this is what you want don't order any wheel option. (yes, I believe this is the only wheel in alcantara)

You can order the Sport Design wheel in leather (same wheel, just all leather). I believe there have been a couple people here that really wanted the sport design wheel,....so they selected it on the configurator, *but* this is the all leather one, not the standard Alcantara version,....and that is what you will get if ordered, an all leather SD wheel, not what some people expected.
Old 03-20-2015, 02:16 AM
kwikit356
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 65 Posts

Great to have you here Rusty!

And we have another guy with a rear wiper, too. Those HRE CL wheels look fabulous with GT Silver. I think Chuck's got the correct distinction between collector and classic Porsches. Love being able to drive a classic now, or, in my case, soon. As for collectible cars: I have had a '64 356C for almost 20 years. It had needs when I bought it, which I've addressed gradually, as money was available. Most of those years it was in storage, for various reasons. For the last 14 months it has been on a rotisserie, because I'd done everything but the body and paint. In another month or so it will emerge, with absolutely everything any collector could want. In those 20 years I've driven it less than 8,000 miles. On winding back roads it's so much fun to drive I have no words to describe the feeling. If I drive it at all now, the "collector" value will drop significantly. Probably an even worse hit than driving a new GTS off the dealer lot. So, what should I do about the 356? I'm selling it immediately when it's done. Think about it: 8,000 miles in twenty years. For the time I have left, I'm collecting CMC cars at 1/18 scale. I'm going to drive the GTS until my grin is permanent. If there's anything left of it when I'm done, my kids can sell it.

Oh, what about getting the leather sun visors? They're very close to your nose, so you can get a bit more of that wonderful aroma. I swear, that's exactly why I ordered them. Still can't believe I did that. I'm also planning to sleep with my leather key pouch under my nose. Pathetic? Yep, but I do need reminding that all Porsches want nothing more than to be driven by those of us who love them. Rennlist = Porsche Love
Old 03-20-2015, 02:50 AM
rusty22039
Advanced

Jerry991 said:
"Porsche doesn't put AWD on the Turbo so it can go in the snow - wide summer tires don't work and wide winter tires aren't going to do that much better in 4wd versus 2wd."

I can't say I disagree that the wide tires don't work well in snow, nor that for most of the time a C2 will work. I'm not getting the 4 to turn it into a snow machine. It's all about maximizing traction and being confident in conditions which are marginal which I see quite often. Perhaps it's one reason I'll not feel compelled to park the car for 5 months a year.

So why does Porsche put AWD on the Turbo if it's not to do just that: maximize traction and make it a better all-around road car?
Old 03-20-2015, 03:00 AM
rusty22039
Advanced

Default Alcantara

How fastidious does one have to be with this stuff in keeping it clean? Does it work well in on a heavy use application like the steering wheel? I'd guess it must or they would not use it.

I've heard that Porsche will use a flame retardant variety in some of their applications. I would assume this is not one of them.
Old 03-20-2015, 03:03 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

The thing about "collector" cars, in most cases it really has very little to do with the car itself. Ultimately, and much more often than not, it all comes down to timing and condition. In reality, they are all collector cars. Or, more accurately, they are all potential collector cars. Take any random car coming off the line today, show me the same car 50 years from now, and I will just about guarantee you its worth a LOT more than new- provided only that its either all-original or thoroughly restored to original condition. Case in point, kwikit356's 356. There's tons of cars like his, collectible not so much because they were special when made but because over and against the onslaught of time they have become special by remaining accurate representations of the original car as made.

This simple truth has some pretty interesting implications. One of the more common things people love to do is change their car. They like this so much they aggrandize it with terms like "mod" even for simply changing out an amber light. But really, it is all these cars being changed over time that makes the few remaining original examples so much more valuable. Collectible. Nobody, but nobody, ever paid a premium for a 356 with the wrong color turn signals. When it comes to collectibility, originality rules.
Old 03-20-2015, 08:36 AM
sean7a
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Rocket_boy
Be careful here.....

The GTS comes standard with the Sport Design (non-MF) wheel in Alcantara,....so if this is what you want don't order any wheel option. (yes, I believe this is the only wheel in alcantara)

You can order the Sport Design wheel in leather (same wheel, just all leather). I believe there have been a couple people here that really wanted the sport design wheel,....so they selected it on the configurator, *but* this is the all leather one, not the standard Alcantara version,....and that is what you will get if ordered, an all leather SD wheel, not what some people expected.
PERFECT. Thanks for the answer. Will be sure not to tick the MF wheel or heated steering, etc. Just take the "stock" wheel on the GTS. Thanks.
Old 03-20-2015, 08:53 AM
sean7a
Intermediate

deleted
Old 03-20-2015, 10:19 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by rusty22039
So why does Porsche put AWD on the Turbo if it's not to do just that: maximize traction and make it a better all-around road car?
Because when you are exiting a turn and want to put down 500+ ftlbs of torque, the rear tires need help. The Turbo can send up to 40% of that torque to the fronts and allow them to share in the work load. It is sorta like an LSD on steroids in the sense that it can determine when you need help and give it to you.

I don't think the AWD on Porsches was ever intended as a snow-enabling device.
Old 03-20-2015, 11:05 AM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Because when you are exiting a turn and want to put down 500+ ftlbs of torque, the rear tires need help. The Turbo can send up to 40% of that torque to the fronts and allow them to share in the work load. It is sorta like an LSD on steroids in the sense that it can determine when you need help and give it to you.

I don't think the AWD on Porsches was ever intended as a snow-enabling device.
I believe there's a few issues here at play. There may be a threshold where HP and TQ overcomes the ability of the rear wheels to manage traction well. Therefore AWD is intended as an aid to provide additional traction. Where that threshold is. Can determine whether or not AWD is needed as an aid or can be dropped. Porsche seems to think that with the high TQ of the turbo it's a must have.
As we can see with there line up. Not all 911's need AWD. The GT cars with much lower TQ seem to do just fine and even better without the use of AWD. So it seems that the added TQ is why the safety net is needed to provide additional traction and stability because of the characteristics of the vehicle.

The overall benefits of AWD also includes additional traction when launching and better traction in weather related situations.

Now the downside of having AWD is the added weight and if we look at say a 991 4s we can see that it doesn't corner as well as a regular s on the track. It simply doesn't produce faster lap times. Where one would benefit with AWD in a 4s wouldn't be for performance but for the weather related situations. Some may also benefit from the adverse affects of over-steer while on track. That's more of a drives aid for those that haven't mastered over-steer in a 911. It can be quite helpful for a non professional. As I stated before though. It's actually slower but a safer experience cornering.
On the track a GT2 would probably be the desired vehicle of choice for faster lap time. I'm sure that it would be a handful to handle in the hands of a non professional.
Old 03-20-2015, 11:11 AM
Vise
Drifting

Received 330 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by sean7a
PERFECT. Thanks for the answer. Will be sure not to tick the MF wheel or heated steering, etc. Just take the "stock" wheel on the GTS. Thanks.
Yep this has been mentioned a few times... the standard GTS wheel is SD/alcantara, any options change from that. As always highly recommend you closely inspect your build on the 3D/full screen configurator view. You can make changes and clearly see whether or not the materials change from alcantara to leather.

Originally Posted by rusty22039
Does anyone have a comment on foregoing the 18 way seats to make room for the PCCB's? I had the standard seats in my '09 C4S and they were just fine. Only downside is you can't get the Porsche Entry and Drive, nor the Light Design packages without them. And you cannot do the 14 way seats with the full GTS Communication Package.

Somehow the Burmester didn't end up on the list. Tunes are very important.
My vote would be for the 18 way seats over the PCCBs... for the seats themselves as well as the other options you mentioned. I know personally I'll get much more added value/use from the seats vs the fancy yellow calipers and minor improvement in braking feel/performance.

Also you should seriously consider the Burmester... it is beyond amazing.
Old 03-20-2015, 11:45 AM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
This simple truth has some pretty interesting implications. One of the more common things people love to do is change their car. They like this so much they aggrandize it with terms like "mod" even for simply changing out an amber light. But really, it is all these cars being changed over time that makes the few remaining original examples so much more valuable. Collectible. Nobody, but nobody, ever paid a premium for a 356 with the wrong color turn signals. When it comes to collectibility, originality rules.
I can't help but admire such a simple but prescient observation. Interesting implications indeed!!! People do love to change their cars by modifying them but, for the non-hard core enthusiast, modification also means simply buying a new car. The desire to be unique and the desire for something new benefits small businesses, big automakers and, ultimately, the economy. If this is axiomatic, then our personalities and the efforts of marketers playing to our personalities, make original, well kept models of automobiles a rarity.

Quick Reply: New GTS Build: The Last NA Manual? Collector Car?