991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HOT FOR SALE: Pick of the Week 991

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2021 | 04:40 PM
awittig
Racer

If it's the same one i recall seeing a few months ago when i was in the market, it has an accident history.
Old 09-17-2021 | 04:47 PM
dukmon
Rennlist Member

The blue car has about everything I could hope for, almost. But I think I can buy a '15 with half the miles and transferable CPO for about the same money. Probably a little less.

I don't see buying anything from Carvana or similar.

I sold my wife's Toyota 4Runner to Carvana a few months ago. Easy transaction and they paid top dollar. What surprised me was they spent ZERO TIME looking over the vehicle and didn't want any of the service records, window sticker, nothing. They didn't even check to see what shape the interior was in. Really. They didn't drive it or look it over. Could have been a drunk dog smoking a cigar in the back seat, they didn't seem to care. Entire transaction took about 12 or 15 minutes. Needless to say, I went straight to the bank to deposit the check.

But they paid me, so there's that.

Last edited by dukmon; 09-17-2021 at 04:50 PM.
Old 09-17-2021 | 04:51 PM
dukmon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by awittig
If it's the same one i recall seeing a few months ago when i was in the market, it has an accident history.

Judging by the time frame of when the seller was looking to buy, it was around this past May/June when the blue 991 was bought. Not certain but that seems plausible.

UPDATE: Seller bought the car this past July. Listed as having, on the CARFAX scale of minor to severe, minor to midrange damage back in '14, but no details other that area where the damage occurred.
Seller has stated to me "front bumper was repainted at Rector Porsche because a house painter dropped his bucket onto the ground and bounced on the car in 2015."

Last edited by dukmon; 09-17-2021 at 05:26 PM.
Old 09-17-2021 | 11:20 PM
cmorales954
Rennlist Member

Carvana appears to sell 911's cheaper than anywhere else in the country, including private sellers. I believe there is something wrong with their pricing algorithm for them.

I just bought a 991 from them for ~25-30% less than other dealers. Single owner car, 14k miles. Came back clean from my PPI. Comes with a 3 month warranty that agreed to even do some maintenance that the mechanic requested. Car is super clean and mint.

It's my daily driver, but there is a tiny part of me that wants to flip it because I got such an incredible deal on it. Problem is, I'd just replace it with another Porsche!
The following users liked this post:
Freddie Two Bs (09-17-2021)
Old 09-19-2021 | 05:28 PM
SConn
Drifting

Originally Posted by cmorales954
Carvana appears to sell 911's cheaper than anywhere else in the country, including private sellers. I believe there is something wrong with their pricing algorithm for them.

I just bought a 991 from them for ~25-30% less than other dealers. Single owner car, 14k miles. Came back clean from my PPI. Comes with a 3 month warranty that agreed to even do some maintenance that the mechanic requested. Car is super clean and mint.

It's my daily driver, but there is a tiny part of me that wants to flip it because I got such an incredible deal on it. Problem is, I'd just replace it with another Porsche!
Interestingly, when I had my '16 991.1 GTS I contacted 4 different companies like (and including) Carvana and NONE of them got back to me with an offer.
Old 09-19-2021 | 05:36 PM
cmorales954
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SConn
Interestingly, when I had my '16 991.1 GTS I contacted 4 different companies like (and including) Carvana and NONE of them got back to me with an offer.
They probably would have low balled you anyways, lol! For the hell of it I had them give me an offer on my 2016 Miata, and it was 25% less than a near by Mazda dealer.
Old 09-19-2021 | 05:42 PM
SConn
Drifting

They probably would have low balled you anyways, lol! For the hell of it I had them give me an offer on my 2016 Miata, and it was 25% less than a near by Mazda dealer.
I was just curious more than anything. But thought it was strange I heard nothing back. And I even followed up with a couple of them.
Old 09-19-2021 | 06:50 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SConn
I was just curious more than anything. But thought it was strange I heard nothing back. And I even followed up with a couple of them.
Same here. Maybe they don't want to deal with the 911 market or there is an age limit?

Last edited by visitador; 09-19-2021 at 06:51 PM.
Old 09-19-2021 | 09:09 PM
wineguy94920
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dukmon
Any opinions on this one? Looking over the sellers post, I'm not certain he's had the car very long. 3rd owner. I may run a carfax report to see.

Of course, everything seems to look and sound great.

https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1268927
This Blue Ducktail had $15000 in front end damage. I was about to buy this car 4 months ago. The last seller, a dealer, told me Carfax was clean. The seller at the time would not provide a DME unless I paid for it. The new owner seems like an honest guy, I do not believe he knew there was an accident history until I pulled the Carfax yesterday AM. He went thru records he was able to get from previous owner, was provided With the $15k invoice from body shop, no details on what was done.
I decided to pass, I love the build, however, too much hair on this one.
noahabel (09-19-2021)
Old 09-19-2021 | 09:21 PM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

there is a lag with carfax, burned me when i sold a jeep 5 years after I bought it clean.
Old 09-20-2021 | 09:35 AM
dukmon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wineguy94920
This Blue Ducktail had $15000 in front end damage. I was about to buy this car 4 months ago. The last seller, a dealer, told me Carfax was clean. The seller at the time would not provide a DME unless I paid for it. The new owner seems like an honest guy, I do not believe he knew there was an accident history until I pulled the Carfax yesterday AM. He went thru records he was able to get from previous owner, was provided With the $15k invoice from body shop, no details on what was done.
I decided to pass, I love the build, however, too much hair on this one.

Yeah, CARFAX I posted (seller forwarded to me) shows this, posted above.
Old 09-20-2021 | 02:47 PM
ruuustin
Cruisin'

You have to be pretty careful though. I had to return one that I bought from them in March. There was no accident on the carfax, but it had clearly been in a rear end collision. The driver's side taillight fell out when I was driving home. The bumper was poorly painted and they even left masking tape over the rear plate lights. Whoever was working on it at some point didn't have the right sized torx head so they did what any normal person did and hit it with a grinder to turn it into a homemade phillips. Oil also leaking from a stripped plug.

Many other issues with the car too. Carvana to their credit said they would "make everything right." So I did take it to Porsche who gave me a list of $15k worth of stuff ($10k of it legit - $5k in cracked visor mirror stuff). But some of the things even above that list were the "cheapest Chinese pads and rotors that you could possibly find." So that kind of stuff was wrong, but carvana wouldn't fix because... well they were brakes.

A lot of the stuff you couldn't really know before having the car. Again, to their credit, they came and picked it back up and had the money back into my account in a few days.

The following 2 users liked this post by ruuustin:
Freddie Two Bs (09-20-2021), noahabel (09-20-2021)
Old 09-20-2021 | 03:00 PM
drdantheman1
Rennlist Member

That tail light bolt is the WORST though. Even with the correct bit, I couldn't take mine out (to check a socket behind the tail lamp) and ended up stripping it. My local indy tech did the same thing with a grinder and was able to get it out but I replaced it with the same screw afterward.
Old 09-20-2021 | 04:09 PM
ruuustin
Cruisin'

It was just greater evidence that it hadn't been well taken care of. But I get it.
Old 09-20-2021 | 04:16 PM
cmorales954
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ruuustin
You have to be pretty careful though. I had to return one that I bought from them in March. There was no accident on the carfax, but it had clearly been in a rear end collision. The driver's side taillight fell out when I was driving home. The bumper was poorly painted and they even left masking tape over the rear plate lights. Whoever was working on it at some point didn't have the right sized torx head so they did what any normal person did and hit it with a grinder to turn it into a homemade phillips. Oil also leaking from a stripped plug.

Many other issues with the car too. Carvana to their credit said they would "make everything right." So I did take it to Porsche who gave me a list of $15k worth of stuff ($10k of it legit - $5k in cracked visor mirror stuff). But some of the things even above that list were the "cheapest Chinese pads and rotors that you could possibly find." So that kind of stuff was wrong, but carvana wouldn't fix because... well they were brakes.

A lot of the stuff you couldn't really know before having the car. Again, to their credit, they came and picked it back up and had the money back into my account in a few days.

Wow that's rough. I am sure it was hard walking away in some respects, and easy in others.

That's why I did not get excited about mine until it was in my possession and I could inspect, and my mechanic was able to go through it completely.

These kinds of things could happen from any non-Porsche dealer, and are just as likely from your average private seller. What's nice about going with Carvana is both the easy 7 day return window -- no questions asked, and a pretty nice 3-month warranty. Without those two things, I'd have a real hard time buying one of these cars from a non-P dealer.
ruuustin (09-21-2021)

Quick Reply: HOT FOR SALE: Pick of the Week 991