Sponsored by:

SF Bay Area GTS Order

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 04:07 PM
fastdiablo
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default SF Bay Area GTS Order

Hello folks, new to the forum. Nice to meet you all and thanks for all the knowledge. I have a Cayenne S and after many years of considering a 911, the 991 GTS package/body style has me convinced I *NEED* one. I also like that it will be one of the last non-turbo models. Unfortunately I don't want manual, which I appreciate is very cool/connected etc. MT and naturally aspirated would be awesome, but PDK for me and my lazy old feet.

I'd like any feedback on my build and any recs for good Bay Area dealers where I'll get a good deal. I bought my Cayenne at Rector, so I'll check with them in addition to any recs.

I have a few questions as well.
1) Will orders placed now be 2015 or 2016 cars? if 2015, when is the cutover, and how much hit will I take on depreciation due to 15 not 16. Does it make sense to wait, or should I be able to get a great deal on a 15?
2) Can anyone speak to how low the GTS with Sport Design (ducktail) is in practice? Do I have to drive sideways into parking lots or is the front clearance "reasonable" in general? I love that ducktail -it is very throwback to my eye.
3) I love the GTS package but hate Alcantara. Any way to get the red stitching with leather?
4) I'm pretty sure I want GT Silver, but since Porsche updated the configurator with Lava Orange, a new blue has appeared when you choose special/customer color. Kinda a gulf blue. Does anyone know what that grey/blue color is called and is it an "orderable" color? I love that non metallic grey/blue I see from time to time.
Thanks!

Here is my build -love any feedback or tips. Was looking to go place an order as early as this weekend.
http://www.porsche.com/microsite/por...px?c=/PGUQF2J3
Old 03-14-2015, 06:08 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

Welcome! I'll take a stab at them.

1) Will orders placed now be 2015 or 2016 cars? if 2015, when is the cutover, and how much hit will I take on depreciation due to 15 not 16. Does it make sense to wait, or should I be able to get a great deal on a 15?
The smart money is saying the 2016s will be the 991.2 with the smaller low-pressure turbos. I wasn't taking a chance and accelerated my planned order from September till last month just to make sure. When that will happen is still a matter of speculation, but the thing that seems pretty much guaranteed is that when the 991.2 comes out there won't be an NA GTS hanging around concurrently.

2) Can anyone speak to how low the GTS with Sport Design (ducktail) is in practice? Do I have to drive sideways into parking lots or is the front clearance "reasonable" in general? I love that ducktail -it is very throwback to my eye.
All GTS models come with the front bumper from the Sport Design package. Nothing you can do about it. If you check the box you are adding only the Ducktail, and the price is $2000 instead of $4000 like it is on an S. If you want to maximize clearance don't order PASM Sport; just take the standard PASM. PASM Sport adds shorter, stiffer springs that cause the car to sit 10mm lower than a standard GTS with PASM. I currently have aftermarket springs on my Turbo and it sits even lower than my GTS with PASM Sport will; I just make it happen. Crab sideways when necessary.

3) I love the GTS package but hate Alcantara. Any way to get the red stitching with leather?
LOL, yeah I agree. There's one way to get it, and it's the way I ordered mine. Full leather in Black/Garnet. That gets you the red stitching (but not the red tach. You could add all red gauges, but I think that's too much with the red seats.) http://www.germancarforum.com/attach...ac-jpg.291845/

4) I'm pretty sure I want GT Silver, but since Porsche updated the configurator with Lava Orange, a new blue has appeared when you choose special/customer color. Kinda a gulf blue. Does anyone know what that grey/blue color is called and is it an "orderable" color? I love that non metallic grey/blue I see from time to time.
Thanks!

Man, you and I have very similar taste! That is the Paint To Sample example car, and I believe it is supposed to represent Aetna Blue. That is a PTS, of which there is one 991S that I'm aware of and he's on this board. Just google Aetna Blue 991 and pics will come up from when it was for sale at a Houston dealer. It's a beautiful color, but PTS is closed and won't reopen till the 991.2 is released. GT Silver is a color I've owned before and it is beautiful, but it is silver.
Old 03-14-2015, 06:27 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,604 Likes on 2,343 Posts

Originally Posted by fastdiablo
Hello folks, new to the forum. Nice to meet you all and thanks for all the knowledge. I have a Cayenne S and after many years of considering a 911, the 991 GTS package/body style has me convinced I *NEED* one. I also like that it will be one of the last non-turbo models. Unfortunately I don't want manual, which I appreciate is very cool/connected etc. MT and naturally aspirated would be awesome, but PDK for me and my lazy old feet.

I'd like any feedback on my build and any recs for good Bay Area dealers where I'll get a good deal. I bought my Cayenne at Rector, so I'll check with them in addition to any recs.

Thanks!

Here is my build -love any feedback or tips. Was looking to go place an order as early as this weekend.
Brett Payne @ Sonnen motors mailto: brett.payne@sonnenporsche.com as I recall he had a number of allocations available.
Old 03-14-2015, 06:33 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

A couple of things to think about with your build:

- standard interior? - not full leather?

- 4 way vs 18 way seats, I'd go sit in them 1st!

- SD Ducktail vs Cup aero? - I agree the coupe should have one or the other!

- glass sunroof?

- painted sideskirts & rear fascia?
Old 03-14-2015, 06:42 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

it all depends on the allocations a dealer has in the production run and which one you take... the depreciation will be effectively the same, of course it all depends when you buy and when/if you sell ...

as already pointed out, regardless of aero pkg the GTS front valance is the same, the only thing affecting ride height and approach angle is Sport PASM vs PASM the delta being an additional -10mm with Sport PASM option

apart from the GTS comms pkg (which has Alacantara) or the blk/garnet the only other way to go is deviated stitching with Porsche Exclusive, which is
very expensive and as I recall was not available for the GTS, but Brett Payne
at Sonnen Porsche will know as he is the master of deviated stitching

checkout Eduardo's sticky thread on ordering exclusive here: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/708507-custom-ordering-a-991-porsche-exclusive-and-you.html

somewhere in that thread will be the currently approved list of "Paint To Sample" colors...
Old 03-14-2015, 06:43 PM
kaution321
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Select euro delivery! Looks like euro maps is included since no longer visible as an option.
Old 03-14-2015, 06:45 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kaution321
Select euro delivery! Looks like euro maps is included since no longer visible as an option.
I noticed that too...
Old 03-14-2015, 06:59 PM
FergusH
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I just ordered a Targa GTS and my processes ended up being this: Call every Bay Area dealer and see who had an allocation available. No one other than Rector did, so I ordered my car from them. March build; late May delivery. From anyone else, the date was unknown but probably late summer. I didn't want to wait and Rector was willing to give me a discount off MSRP (surprising, given how hard the Targa GTS is to get).

I'd think a "regular" GTS would be more available but if not, you might end up doing what I did. Here's my Google spreadsheet of all the Bay Area dealers and their numbers:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Good luck!

Fergus

P.S. I'd also thought about the GTS package with Carmine red and the Alcantara package. Decided it was little too much but black leather seats and red stitching seemed like a good second choice.
Old 03-14-2015, 10:03 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 328 Likes on 202 Posts

This is interesting actually... while I cannot confirm I found that when I open my 2015 GTS build in the configurator it gives me the following prompt: Do you want to copy selected configuration into new model year?

You can see it yourself via my Porsche code: http://www.porsche.com/microsite/por...e/?c=/PFXAG3C2

That would lead me to believe the configurator is setup for MY2016 including the addition of Lava Orange as a paint option. A dealer is the best bet to confirm though, perhaps it is a mid-year update or something.

I have the Aerokit (with additional front spoiler lip) and Sport PASM on my GTS... it is low but totally livable. I live/work downtown Toronto and deal with many crappy roads, parking garages, etc. I've heard something scrap underneath a few times but after some inspection it is not the front bumper itself, rather the plastic bits that hang down. From what I recall most seem to confirm that the Sport Design Bumper + SPASM is 5 3/4" of clearance up front which should be plenty. I say go for it!

Nice build, you didn't go over the top on options... great choice on the Burmester too, it is brilliant. Per Larry's comment I would make sure you check out the full leather interior and try out the different seat options before locking in. I'd personally recommend the Premium Pkg Plus and Front/Rear Parking Sensors with Camera, very happy with both on my car but depends on what you're interested in.
Old 03-15-2015, 01:42 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

^^^^ me 2 I opened up my config and it asked me if I wanted to copy into 2016 also

Quick Reply: SF Bay Area GTS Order