Sponsored by:

If you had a choice!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 06:03 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,604 Likes on 2,343 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
Well! I just received the call. My GT4 allocation finally came in. The dealer wants me to build right away. Problem is I had picked up a 911 GTS a couple of months ago. The car has barely seen the ash fault yet. Was thinking of trading her in on the GT4. I don't know what it is. Must be my age but I'm feeling compelled. Problem is I'm not liking the reviews enough so far. So I'm having mixed emotions. Will the Gt4 live up to the 911 legacy? In the interim I will be test driving a Cayman gts to see if it gets the groove on.
Plenty of alcohol on hand.
My advice, GO FOR IT! - you are lucky enough to get an allocation, there are many that have not, I think the GT4 is a very special car, more so than the GTS,
if you hate it, flip it ... there will be a long line of takers... my only concern would be the long gearing, but it sounds like the aftermarket is already addressing this ...

My feeling is that this car will be the most enagaging and fun you can get with a Porsche badge on it, GT3, RS, and GTS included.

p.s
Take ED, I'll meet you at the Ring ... beers on me.
Old 03-12-2015, 06:14 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
^Chuck, the 991 platform has been out now for about 4 years. Are you going to finally drive one in 2015? 2016??

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
LOL. Too funny.
Old 03-12-2015, 06:16 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,407 Likes on 2,514 Posts

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
LOL. Too funny.
Crickets. Crickets. Crickets.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 03-12-2015, 07:26 PM
joey c
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure this helps,but I just traded my 2014 Cayman S for a 991S..I could not be happier!! I need the back seats now with my 15 month old boy so a 2 seater is not an option..I had been thinking about getting a Cayman GTS and had driven a few. They are great cars but do lack the power of the 911..as funny as this may sound,I like the handling of the 911 more.This is my 4th 911..The Cayman is SO well balanced that its almost boring..The 911 has a lot more feel in everyday driving,and you need to concentrate more to drive it well. I like this..my guess is this..the 911 GTS will be faster than the GT4 for sure BUT the Cayman GT4 might feel more "racy"
It still makes me laugh that they won't even give the Cayman GT4 400HP..
it has less than the standard 991S.
all that said,It will still be a hell of a car,but I would personally get a GTS instead..
Old 03-12-2015, 07:34 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,604 Likes on 2,343 Posts

Originally Posted by joey c
Not sure this helps,but I just traded my 2014 Cayman S for a 991S..I could not be happier!! I need the back seats now with my 15 month old boy so a 2 seater is not an option..I had been thinking about getting a Cayman GTS and had driven a few. They are great cars but do lack the power of the 911..as funny as this may sound,I like the handling of the 911 more.This is my 4th 911..The Cayman is SO well balanced that its almost boring..The 911 has a lot more feel in everyday driving,and you need to concentrate more to drive it well. I like this..my guess is this..the 911 GTS will be faster than the GT4 for sure BUT the Cayman GT4 might feel more "racy"
It still makes me laugh that they won't even give the Cayman GT4 400HP..
it has less than the standard 991S.
all that said,It will still be a hell of a car,but I would personally get a GTS instead..
straight line I think the GTS might be a tad faster than a GT4 although the posted figures for both cars 0-60 (7MT GTS) are the same... bhp and torque
on the GT4 are down some on the GTS but then so is the weight ... I'm
guessing that same driver, same track, same conditions, the GT4 will be
marginally faster lapping than the GT4... sounds like time for an Evo Track
Battle!

either car is a WIN.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:01 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable

straight line I think the GTS might be a tad faster than a GT4 although the posted figures for both cars 0-60 (7MT GTS) are the same... bhp and torque
on the GT4 are down some on the GTS but then so is the weight ... I'm
guessing that same driver, same track, same conditions, the GT4 will be
marginally faster lapping than the GT4... sounds like time for an Evo Track
Battle!

either car is a WIN.
I've seen it posted as 4.4sec. For the gt4 and 4.2 for the gts. Manual trans. The 1/4 mile time is more important to me. Anybody know what those figures are?
Old 03-12-2015, 09:03 PM
Dubloh7
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GT4!
Track ready!
From the Motorsports Division
Gt Entry Level
My 991 S is so well optioned that I would not benefit from the GTS.
The 'depends on what you plan to use it for' slogan is spot on.
Add a cage, harness and windows and we can go racing for a lot less invested than in a cup car.
And its brand new!
You are just not gonna seriously track or gut out a Carrera so im certain you will not add the features of the GTS just to strip it out.
Old 03-13-2015, 12:38 AM
kwikit356
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 65 Posts

I agree that planned use is a primary deciding factor, but getting some significant seat time in a Cayman GTS will probably make your final decision easy. Whichever way you decide to go, the important thing is that you feel good about your decision. Of course, we are all waiting to hear what one of us thinks after actually driving a GT4. Best of luck!
Old 03-13-2015, 03:10 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 847 Likes on 425 Posts

Only one number comes to mind for Porsche ownership and that's 911.
Old 03-13-2015, 03:17 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Waiting to hear what one of us thinks after actually driving a GT4? Now that really would be crickets, crickets, crickets.

I don't know about the noobs, but Lex certainly has no reason for not knowing I've driven a ton more Porsches than, well than most here. In the years I was instructing PCA Driver Skills, Autocross and Driver Ed I drove pretty much every Porsche model from the late 60's up through the 996 TT. Then one day I had this epiphany, "that clueless nut behind the wheel just might kill you". Which was just before the 997, which is why I haven't driven that one on the track. And yeah, full disclosure, haven't driven a 991 yet at all.

As if that's even relevant to threads like this where NOBODY has driven the GT4! For that it seems a hell of a lot more relevant to me to understand the fundamental differences in the designs and histories of the two cars.

For example, I wonder how many know that the 911 design owes a lot more to happenstance than prescience? Hitler wanted a peoples car. Porsche built a nice cheap one. And then, miraculously, ingeniously and insightfully, he refined and evolved that basic concept into todays 911. Which, as good as it is, cannot change the fact that nobody but nobody would ever set out to design a performance car by hanging the engine behind the rear axle!

I mean it is just loopy! The inherent disadvantages are so great compared to the inherent advantages of the Boxster/Cayman mid-engine deign that Porsche has to play all kinds of games to keep the cheaper GT4 from running Nurburg rings around the GT3! Less power. Taller gearing. Freaking last century manual transmission! Everything but snow tires and it still comes within a hair of the GT3!

But you guys understand all that, right?

Right?

Crickets…..
Old 03-13-2015, 04:32 AM
lunarx
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

These guys drove the GT4

https://youtu.be/L9-Sr8RPty4

https://youtu.be/MYM8yqdb97k

I can't imagine a more positive review than these.
If I didn't already have a 991s, I would get the GT4.
Possibly even with those Sport Seats.
Old 03-13-2015, 02:47 PM
BenDiem
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 40 Posts

Chuck911: Funny post, but true dat! lol...

Cheers/B
Old 03-13-2015, 03:23 PM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I could have been first in line to get a GT4 at my dealer, called as soon as it appeared the rumors were true....but I just couldn't stomach the massive depreciation hit I would take trading in my 2.5 year old 991. Trading in your almost brand new one would make me cry rivers.
Two very different cars. I'm sure the GT4 is/will be one of the purest "driver's" Porsches ever made, but the 991 has an element of practicality with its vestigial back seats and makes a much better daily. You have to decide how you're going to use it, and if you can stand taking the financial hit.
Old 03-13-2015, 04:21 PM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

GTS for all around useability. GT4 for weekend fun.
Old 03-13-2015, 04:21 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 321 Likes on 194 Posts

I don't think there is much doubt that the GT4 will be more capable at the track that a 991S (at least one without a power kit.) I have driven a Cayman GTS on the track and know first hand that it is right up there with my C2S with Sport PASM. It should readily carry more speed in the corners and not fall down on the straights. The brakes should be as good. But it is way more adjustable, so a clueful driver should get a lot out of the car. Average drivers are likely a toss up.

Before anyone gets too excited about the different times posted in magazines, consider this: the chief instructor in PCA Potomac used to terrorize GT3s with his Boxter RS-60. He pissed them off totally when they found out it had Tiptronic. His Cayman is faster. OK he can drive- was top dog at the Parade in it.

All that said, for me there is more to a 911 than the track-. The 991 platform is exceptional. It would take a GT3 to move me away from my heated steering wheel.

Quick Reply: If you had a choice!