Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C2S 7MT - 1st to 2nd shift near redline - problem?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 03:24 AM
PDX991
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts

To see if it's the fuel cut off, you could redline it all the way in 1st. The fuel cutoff will save you from over revs. The first time I redlined it in my prior P car the abrupt fuel cutoff was shockingly ABRUPT.
Old 03-12-2015, 10:37 PM
Scooner
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd gear grind on 7MT

Hi Hugh,

I've been driving manual cars for 38 years and last 12 years: 911's. My last 911 was 996 6MT and currently 991 C4S 7MT. I have had similar 2nd gear manual grind, mostly during hard 1st gear acceleration then shifting to 2nd (not necessarily WOT close to redline). I considered similar concerns as other members have suggested & even moved my seat 1" forward to ensure full clutch depression.

After nearly 18,000 miles, and discussing with Porsche master mechanic who is a good friend, I think it has to do with "massive" synchroes that 2nd gear has in our cars, coupled with mechanical adaptor (can't think of German name for it) that translates PDK based gear sequence to familiar MT shifting pattern ( you probably know our 7MT is based on PDK gears), there is simply need for more time for these devices do their work to get 2nd gear aligned just right. I questioned my technique initially myself, but after 38 years and enjoying 6MT 996 to 110k miles w/o issues, I just learned feel for the 2nd gear mass properly engaging before i let the clutch down & FLOOR it. It bothered me initially but being "mindful", I am not grinding anymore and it became part of mastering the car that I enjoy so much.

Of course, this means your are super human. You are able to shift faster than it's mechanically possible from 1st to 2nd

Scooner
Old 03-12-2015, 10:51 PM
hoppah
Advanced

Hmmm - I'm only just over 3k miles and only started hot-******* when I passed 2k, but I've not yet had this problem. First of all, the fuel cut off in these is clearly set way above the published redline, I've wound mine past 7500 several times and it seems like there's no end to it. I've done a number of 1-2 powershifts near redline (shift without lifting) and it seemed nice and smooth. I'll do some more experimenting and pay closer attention to the feel.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:54 PM
hoppah
Advanced

Originally Posted by hoppah
Hmmm - I'm only just over 3k miles and only started hot-******* when I passed 2k, but I've not yet had this problem. First of all, the fuel cut off in these is clearly set way above the published redline, I've wound mine past 7500 several times and it seems like there's no end to it. I've done a number of 1-2 powershifts near redline (shift without lifting) and it seemed nice and smooth. I'll do some more experimenting and pay closer attention to the feel.
Is "*******" really something to be censored?

H.

EDIT: Strange - when I viewed the thread, the word "*******" in my first post was all asterisks... then when I posted this and viewed it again, it was un-asterisked.

Quick Reply: C2S 7MT - 1st to 2nd shift near redline - problem?