Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Probably the best video review of the GTS...

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 05:47 AM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine has been delayed until the end of April, apparently because I messed around with the spec in early February. So it goes I guess...?

Love The Getawayer and all he stands for.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:13 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by MagicRat
Mine has been delayed until the end of April, apparently because I messed around with the spec in early February. So it goes I guess...?
I spec'd PSP on mine because the dealership always orders their cars with it and the cars I test drove had it, and it didn't bother me. And then I got to reading the "Is PSP really necessary" thread on here about 3 days later. Got me to thinking I didn't want it. Texted my SA to delete. He said okay. Got back to me the next day to say it would delay quite a bit if I did. So I didn't.

If it had been a big deal I'd have waited, but at this point, and having driven PSP cars, I JUST WANT MY CAR ALREADY!
Old 03-05-2015, 10:06 AM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah man. The 'it'll delay your order quite a bit' is the bit I didn't get told. Still, I'm going to enjoy those ceramic brakes
Old 03-05-2015, 11:54 AM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 330 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by todd92
I like his videos, but he's all over the place. In the GT3 video he's blown away because it's so much better than a S in ever way. Now in a GTS, he says who really needs a GT3 anyway. In fact, he's pretty clear that everything he likes about the GTS is equally applicable to the S, except the extra 30 HP, which he says is pretty hard to notice on the road, even when driven aggressively.

I also was unaware the GTS had a unique PSE, but I've seen it mentioned several times in threads. Any Porsche documentation for this?
I don't believe it has a "unique" PSE,....but is further tuned with the PowerKit...

good info @ 2:50, 4:30 & 5:30
Old 03-05-2015, 11:59 AM
pap2828
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gutted for you!!
Old 03-05-2015, 05:24 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I liked the review but lets be honest. The weather conditions really weren't favorable for testing. He also seemed a bit edgy about breaking the speeding law. Maybe he had a resent run in with the local enforcement. Who knows. He certainly wasn't ripping down the road like he did in the GT3 video.
His comments about the exhaust valve opening at such and such rpm was false. Performance exhaust stays on even at idle. There is a cold start delay but that just happens once.
He didn't acknowledge the reworked gear box and believed it was the same as a 991 4s he drove a year earlier. I have to agree with him that the 7 speed is a work of art though. Could never see myself with a PDK no matter how much faster it is. My generation grew up driving manuals.
Over all it was quite entertaining and I look forward to his reviews.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:31 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,609 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
I liked the review but lets be honest. The weather conditions really weren't favorable for testing. He also seemed a bit edgy about breaking the speeding law. Maybe he had a resent run in with the local enforcement. Who knows. He certainly wasn't ripping down the road like he did in the GT3 video.
His comments about the exhaust valve opening at such and such rpm was false. Performance exhaust stays on even at idle. There is a cold start delay but that just happens once.
He didn't acknowledge the reworked gear box and believed it was the same as a 991 4s he drove a year earlier. I have to agree with him that the 7 speed is a work of art though. Could never see myself with a PDK no matter how much faster it is. My generation grew up driving manuals.
Over all it was quite entertaining and I look forward to his reviews.
I think he was referring to 'normal' operation; when the bypass valves open automatically, and not when you have "PSE" enabled via the dash button.

This is certainly how it works on the 997's ...
Old 03-05-2015, 05:33 PM
pfan
Pro

Received 78 Likes on 46 Posts

Really enjoy his passion for sports cars in general, and the 991 specifically. Porsche should hire him as a brand ambassador.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:35 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pfan
Really enjoy his passion for sports cars in general, and the 991 specifically. Porsche should hire him as a brand ambassador.
I think he is unofficially one, hence his access to Porsche press cars...
Old 03-05-2015, 05:41 PM
pfan
Pro

Received 78 Likes on 46 Posts

On further review, I guess Porsche did OK on the ambassador bit .......
Attached Images  
Old 03-05-2015, 05:42 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 360 Likes on 217 Posts

His comments about the exhaust valve opening at such and such rpm was false
No they weren't...
In the 991 GT3 the valves open when you press the PSE button at idle,but as soon as you start driving they close automatically fully or partially and they open again automatically after 4000 RPMs. It seems this doesn't happen in the 991 GTS where they stay open the whole time after the PSE button has been depressed...
Old 03-05-2015, 06:09 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I think he was referring to 'normal' operation; when the bypass valves open automatically, and not when you have "PSE" enabled via the dash button.

This is certainly how it works on the 997's ...
I didn't have PSE on my 997 so I'm not sure how different they are in respect to each other. From what I have gathered on the new vehicle. have not driven it much mind you.
All driving modes are off on a restart or cold start. Since the system always reverts back to standard driving mode when the ignition is reset. PSE only comes on when sport, sport plus or PSE buttons are engaged. Once engaged PSE stays on all the time. PSE can be shut off or on in any driving mode independently. Once on it remains on and isn't dependent on rpm. Except when cold it needs a throttle blip. Not sure why. It may be vacuum related not sure. I'm pretty confident that is how it works.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:14 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

I didn't have PSE on my 997 so I'm not sure how different they are in respect to each other. From what I have gathered on the new vehicle. have not driven it much mind you.
All driving modes are off on a restart or cold start. Since the system always reverts back to standard driving mode when the ignition is reset. PSE only comes on when sport, sport plus or PSE buttons are engaged. Once engaged PSE stays on all the time. PSE can be shut off or on in any driving mode independently. Once on it remains on it isn't dependent on rpm. Except when cold it needs a throttle blip. Not sure why. It may be vacuum related not sure. I'm pretty confident that is how it works.
typically the bypass valves open automatically on all these systems around the mid-range rpm to reduce back pressure on the engine in the higher rev range, all the PSE switch does is to override this and force them open below that rev threshold.

While I have no actual experience of the 991 PSE I dont see any reason why this is not how it should function since its performance related, the presence of the bypass is performance related and not primarily for its aural capabilities, hence the presence of the manual defeat which if you use it actually detracts from the low rev range performance of the engine where the additional back pressure improves low end torque.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:27 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
typically the bypass valves open automatically on all these systems around the mid-range rpm to reduce back pressure on the engine in the higher rev range, all the PSE switch does is to override this and force them open below that rev threshold.

While I have no actual experience of the 991 PSE I dont see any reason why this is not how it should function since its performance related, the presence of the bypass is performance related and not primarily for its aural capabilities, hence the presence of the manual defeat which if you use it actually detracts from the low rev range performance of the engine where the additional back pressure improves low end torque.
Everything you have stated makes perfect sense. I'm just conveying my observation. It may very well be shutting off and than reengaging after a certain RPM but I can't distinguish where and when that takes place.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:14 PM
SDaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the video is great! Of course it validates everything I think, so it must be perfect....

After watching most of his GT3 review, I appriciate his prospective even more, i.e. conflicted between the 475+ and 9K of the GT3 and the driving experience and practicality of the GTS.

It's a good thing there was no allocation of GT3s left when I ordered my GTS. I would still be debating with myself which direction to take.

Quick Reply: Probably the best video review of the GTS...