Sponsored by:

jacking questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 03:15 PM
romansroad
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default jacking questions

I've searched here and on 6speed, and found 2 schools of thought. The jack point crowd and the DIY thread with the sequential jacking from side to side. Well, there's the long bar with tabs into the jack points, but I'd rather use the Jackpoint if I'm gonna have all the car specific hardware . Any way, when I worked on my 993, I found I needed a bit more height than the elegant design of the jackpoint may allow, and furthermore, they are out of stock again. I don't like the idea of unequal raising of the car, even though the 993 didn't seem to mind this. So, I saw a jack cross beam, that I might be able to modify to engage the frame rails, leaving the jack stand points free. So the questions are....has any one done this and, can the frame rails tolerate this? The idea would be to slip the beam in just proximal to the jack hard points, then raise it rear end first and equally, to the height of my jack stands. I've already brazed fittings onto the jack stand for the hard points. Any thoughts?
Old 03-07-2015, 11:55 AM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Received 356 Likes on 218 Posts

This gives an indication of 993 lift height using a single pair of stands. They sound short, but remember you're supporting at the lift point - not at a point further up under the car. Clearance at either end is usually 8" higher than at the lift point (using 1 pair). In terms of inventory - we get product every week and they sell out fast, but . . . we get more every week so most orders ship within 1-3 days (custom requests take longer).
Attached Images  
Old 03-07-2015, 12:27 PM
romansroad
Advanced

WOW! and thanks for the pic. I honestly had no idea how high they would go. Looks like an elegant solution to my problem. BTW, for the 991 with stock suspension height, do I need the standard or the low profile? And, will the same units work on a 13 Maserati GT Sport?

And, congrats on making such a great product that supply is an issue. And furthermore thanks for not compromising on the quality to increase the supply. Signs of first class product and management!

Thanks again.
Old 03-07-2015, 01:23 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,187 Likes on 1,477 Posts

My 991S Cab on Jackpoints, gets up high enough to make exhaust changes easy....great product, I'd buy again in a minute. I did the bar thing that you describe on my old 993 C4S and the concept works great, but the trick is the steel has to be strong enough to not flex when you lift the bar, and that requires fairly hefty stock. I find the Jackpoints to be much easier and more convenient than that bar method. Just sayin'

Old 03-07-2015, 09:05 PM
romansroad
Advanced

Thanks for the great pic (and all your other informative posts I've read here). Funny you mentioned it, as I'm looking at the Sharkworks exhaust....and, putting some serious miles on her already and brakes will be soon.
Old 03-07-2015, 11:07 PM
77tony
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 118 Posts

What's the average selling price of a 991-lets call it $ 120k. Why not invest another $ 1700 over a pair of jack stands and get yourself a 2 or 4 post lift that will last a lifetime. Makes everything easier and safer. Change oil, clean wheels, detail car, etc when it's up high or at waist level. Can also use lift for your other vehicles to do the same. If you don't have a minimum 9" ceiling height, just adjust the stops to lift the car a max 8" or ? Wish I did this 20 years ago.02 T
Attached Images  
Old 03-08-2015, 04:09 PM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Received 356 Likes on 218 Posts

Lifts are great. I had a 4 post lift for several years before inventing the Jackpoint stands. While I don't disagree with any of your points - I personally use the jack stands allot instead of the lift. One reason won't impact many folks, but I have a car stacked on the lift so for a quick job - I'd have to shuffle cars. More to point - much of what I do with the car up is brake, suspension, fluid changes, and other work around the car. While I love my lift - it's a big thing to work around. With the car on stands - they're out of the way of all mechanicals and under the car. I've found it easier to move around and work the corners/wheels without working around the lift. I still prefer the lift for major under car work. One other thing - I actually thought of the stands as a result of doing track events and designed many of the Jackpoint features to provide a better working condition at the track after I almost dropped my car while changing rotors. Jackpoint stands are a solution to some lifting issues but certainly not the only solution. Lifts have gotten much cheaper than they were when I bought mine and there are some really nice ones out that at a reasonable price. I've also seen a couple I wouldn't be comfortable using - so it pays to shop and research before buying.
Old 03-08-2015, 05:56 PM
romansroad
Advanced

I've wanted a lift for years, but I think they would be in the way a bit more. I've got tons of ceiling height and a four car garage, but wonder about the posts getting in the way, and one has to park in between them each time too. Man, I would love a lift, though. I'd be just looking for things to do with it...probably have to get the 65 E type Jag I've always wanted just to have something broken all the time to justify the lift.
Old 03-08-2015, 11:07 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

Whew, didn't know WHAT to expect when I opened this thread!
Old 03-08-2015, 11:52 PM
romansroad
Advanced

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Whew, didn't know WHAT to expect when I opened this thread!
Sorry, but "bar lifting" and "get it up in the air" seemed treacherous as well....
Old 03-09-2015, 02:09 PM
77tony
Rennlist Member

Those jackpoint stands do look sturdy. Friend has a 6,000 lb., single post, mobile lift-pretty neat. About $ 2400 + shipping. T
Attached Images  

Last edited by 77tony; 03-09-2015 at 02:28 PM.
Old 03-09-2015, 02:49 PM
romansroad
Advanced

I just saw that portable one, but I thought it wasn't low enough profile for our cars. Not sure, though.would be great to have a friend with one.....!There's another one that uses two posts with anchors drilled into the floor that you can unbolt and roll out of the way. It was named Max something, and around $2300
Old 03-09-2015, 05:11 PM
77tony
Rennlist Member

Max Jax=mid rise. T
Attached Images  
Old 03-10-2015, 01:52 AM
romansroad
Advanced

Yeah, that's the one. A little slower to deploy, but has the low profile and can be stowed in the corner when not in use with its smaller footprint. Man, you know your lifts!
Old 03-10-2015, 02:26 AM
77tony
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by romansroad
Yeah, that's the one. A little slower to deploy, but has the low profile and can be stowed in the corner when not in use with its smaller footprint. Man, you know your lifts!
Friend up in Dallas had low ceilings and the MaxJax made sense-at the time. He has since moved to Rockport and has a high ceilings in his new garage. Now he uses my 4 post lift more than the MaxJax. No more crawling around on the ground setting the lift bars to each of the four jack points. If your worried about space, now there's room for 2 vehicles.02 T
Attached Images  

Last edited by 77tony; 03-10-2015 at 02:48 AM.

Quick Reply: jacking questions