Sponsored by:

Feedback on a GTS order?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 03:59 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,407 Likes on 2,514 Posts

Originally Posted by FergusH
Ok, question about Sport PASM: in "Standard" mode, is the ride height of the car the same as a car without Sport PASM?

My current 911 came with the SportDesign Front Fascia and the resulting ride height and approach angle is about as low as I'm willing to put up with!
Car without PASM is at sea level.

Car with PASM is 10mm below sea level.

Car with Sport PASM is 20mm below sea level (another 10mm below PASM).
Old 02-20-2015, 03:59 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,604 Likes on 2,343 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Ditto. I went in thinking I might want it, but to my butt, it's an artificial feel, devoid of some of the feedback I want to feel before all hell breaks loose. Plus, it's crazy expensive, and I'm not sure it does much of anything but make the driver feel like he's going faster through corners. But I could be wrong about that.
For me this is a technology designed for 2.5+ ton SUVs to keep their body roll under control in corners, I have it on my X5 and its one of the things I actually
like about that pile of sh*t ... wait I digress ... but IMO there isn't a 911 built
that needs this function unless what you really want to buy is a Lincoln Town
Car with better handling in corners ... there I've said it!

Also a number of owners (daft enough to tick this box in the 1st place) that also track their cars have reported PDCC faults while on track ...

its not for me, I see the value of PASM, but I draw the line there... and if I
could have specced Sport-PASM on my hairdressers GTS cabriolet I would
have ... but I'd rather **** the money elsewhere than on PDCC ... YMMV
Old 02-20-2015, 04:01 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,604 Likes on 2,343 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Car without PASM is at sea level.

Car with PASM is 10mm below sea level.

Car with Sport PASM is 20mm below sea level (another 10mm below PASM).
+1 PASM (or PASM Sport) does not dynamically alter the ride height of the car...
that's fixed, what's different is the (static) ride height and spring rates etc
Old 02-20-2015, 04:02 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,106 Likes on 665 Posts

The back up camera is really nice, IMO.
If I had a MT, I would get the MFSW.
I wouldn't want CL wheels.
Congrats.
Old 02-20-2015, 04:07 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 328 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I'd be mad at myself if I wasted my money on PDCC! YMMV but I agree with Sport PASM
I agree... there is a good video review online where the comment on PDCC is that it makes the car's handling feel artificial. Some people may like it but its not for me.

Is that the option labelled "SportDesign Steering Wheel"? My current 911 - which is also a manual - has this and I like the look of it but I forgot that it's leather-covered. Do you know how I'd get the three-spoke silver wheel but in Alcantara?
Uncheck the 'SportDesign' wheel option in he leather section and you'll get the alcantara wheel/shifter. It comes standard on the GTS and by adding the option you're actually replacing alcantara with leather. If you haven't already in the configurator use the 3D/360 mode to confirm your selections, works great.
Old 02-20-2015, 04:15 PM
FergusH
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

What are the CL wheels? I see Turbo S and Carrera S wheels as an option. (I wish there were more choices, as I don't love either of these; not a big deal 'though.)

I test drove a GTS last night with the multi-function wheel and although the car had PDK, I assume the wheel was pretty similar. I didn't like it compared to the SportDesign wheel on my current 911. It seemed bigger (i.e., diameter) and thinner. Seems like I'll probably just need to get the SportDesign leather wheel if I want it's shape. Hmm...

If you get the backup camera, do you still get the audible warning? My wife’s car has an audible warning and no camera and it works great. I’ve driven other cars that had a backup camera but no audible warning and I hated it.
Old 02-20-2015, 04:18 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,407 Likes on 2,514 Posts

What are the CL wheels? I see Turbo S and Carrera S wheels as an option. (I wish there were more choices, as I don't love either of these; not a big deal 'though.)
CL= center lock
Old 02-20-2015, 04:21 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

Delete
Old 02-20-2015, 04:22 PM
FergusH
Pro

Ah, got it!
Old 02-20-2015, 04:27 PM
FergusH
Pro

Originally Posted by Vise
Uncheck the 'SportDesign' wheel option in he leather section and you'll get the alcantara wheel/shifter. It comes standard on the GTS and by adding the option you're actually replacing alcantara with leather. If you haven't already in the configurator use the 3D/360 mode to confirm your selections, works great.
Ah, thanks!
Old 02-20-2015, 04:28 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Center Lock wheels. You can't remove them unless you get a big long (4') breaker bar, and a 3/4" torque wrench for reinstalls. They require a certain amount of torque, no less, no more. It's about 4x what normal wheel lugs require.

On the flip side of that -- you won't be carrying a spare anyway (911 doesn't come with one since 2005), and if you get a flat in the boonies, what are the chances Hiram down at the Shell station has a 305/30-20 lying around to replace it with? And in a pinch he can plug it with it still mounted. But probably, with 5-lugs or CLs, you're going to have to wait for Porsche to send a flatbed.

Or you can spend about $600 and buy the tools for removing, and just carry them with you when travelling out of civilization. But you still won't have a tire.
Old 02-20-2015, 04:52 PM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 330 Likes on 219 Posts

You done good IMO, great color combo.

Others have good suggestions, here are mine....

PDCC, not a fan, didn't order.
Sport PASM, tested thoroughly, didn't order. Like the stock PASM calibration & height just fine. I don't want any risk of gouging the front end.
Went with the CLs,....yes I will be buying the tools to remove them 'cause I like this type of stuff! These wheels are also 1/2" wider all the way around, fill out the wheel wells a bit more. IMO part of what makes a GTS.
Like the uncluttered look, so no Sport Design or Duck Tail, did go with the best color though, Carmine Red!
Did order some extra carbon in the cabin.
Burmester is to die for, one of the first boxes ticked. Have it now.

Good luck!
Old 02-20-2015, 05:35 PM
jcsv
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 to the map pockets and smoking additions, its nice to have the extra power outlet.

I've been really happy with PASM sport. It is low and gives the car a great stance. As long as you crab over speed bumps / up driveways, scraping is not an issue. I was also pleasantly surprised with the ride, I expected it to be harsher than it actually ended up being.
Old 02-20-2015, 05:43 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Originally Posted by jcsv
+1 to the map pockets and smoking additions, its nice to have the extra power outlet.

I've been really happy with PASM sport. It is low and gives the car a great stance. As long as you crab over speed bumps / up driveways, scraping is not an issue. I was also pleasantly surprised with the ride, I expected it to be harsher than it actually ended up being.
All of my initial test driving was three drives in a 991S with PDCC and SPASM, so I got to spend a fair amount of time on a lot of different roads in SPASM. When I later drove an S with PASM over the same roads, I didn't feel an appreciable difference in the stiffness -- I mean, I felt the difference, but it didn't go too far for me.

As for the ride height, I have a lowered Turbo now (aftermarket springs) and I've learned all the places I have to ease over sideways; a GTS on SPASM rides higher than the front lip of my Turbo, so that part doesn't bother me at all.
Old 02-20-2015, 06:31 PM
FergusH
Pro

Originally Posted by Rocket_boy
...did go with the best color though, Carmine Red!
I was thinking about the color. Do you have some photos of your car you can post? I'm also curious: what interior color scheme did you go with?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Feedback on a GTS order?