Sponsored by:

Failure 6 miles after service work...

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 06:40 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,407 Likes on 2,514 Posts

Originally Posted by Grunty
I wonder what the response would have been had this happened at a lower volume type of dealership like ferarri. Same bull****?
Someone's head would probably roll.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 02-19-2015, 07:12 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

I wonder what the response would have been had this happened at a lower volume type of dealership like ferarri. Same bull****?
Want to guess what the dealer's response would have been if it happened to a high powered lawyer?
Old 02-19-2015, 07:26 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,194 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Someone's head would probably roll.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Don't you think heads will roll on this one? Liability is tremendous - they are real lucky no one got hurt
Old 02-19-2015, 07:32 PM
OMG Noooooo....
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This whole incident happened on a 70mph dual carriage way. I pulled over at the first opportunity and checked the car. Then called the garage and asked questions while driving to the next junction, they told me to return to them which I did while traveling at a lower speed. Over the next 300 meters the vibrations and noise got more I slowed to about 30 mph and that when the wheel nuts and a bit of the wheel spacer came flying off. I pulled over as much as I could and then the car fell onto the tyre. Not very dramatic but all the same 'a moment'.. The front wing buckled and is now out of alinement with the door shut. The hub is damaged and so is the wheel, the caliper and spacer.

The mechanics turned up in a Panamera with trolley jack and wheel nuts. I was a cold, very wet day and I got soaked standing on the side of the dual carriageway signalling the very fast oncoming traffic of my stranded car for 25 mins before Porsche arrived. I was less than 2 miles from the dealership.

Maybe I should have stopped and waited for them to come to me but at the time I was not sure for a while if was in my head or just a stone in the disc or the fact it had been in the workshop for 3 days and had rusty discs or a wheel weight was missing. Maybe I could have slowed and saved the car from the last 'traumatic' bit but it was a rainy day and I chose to head back to the garage. In the end I got soaked.

Thats life..

I am unhurt but the car is not. No one else is hurt and I now have a very apologetic Porsche in the palm of my hand...hahaha

Thanks for all the concern and stuff.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:54 PM
ParishM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a new body panel (wing) and paintwork will definitely affect the
value of the car regardless of who replaces it even the dealer !

the first thing most people always ask when buying a used car
is has it had any paint work or damage.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:51 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by OMG Noooooo....
This whole incident happened on a 70mph dual carriage way. I pulled over at the first opportunity and checked the car. Then called the garage and asked questions while driving to the next junction, they told me to return to them which I did while traveling at a lower speed. Over the next 300 meters the vibrations and noise got more I slowed to about 30 mph and that when the wheel nuts and a bit of the wheel spacer came flying off. I pulled over as much as I could and then the car fell onto the tyre. Not very dramatic but all the same 'a moment'.. The front wing buckled and is now out of alinement with the door shut. The hub is damaged and so is the wheel, the caliper and spacer.

The mechanics turned up in a Panamera with trolley jack and wheel nuts. I was a cold, very wet day and I got soaked standing on the side of the dual carriageway signalling the very fast oncoming traffic of my stranded car for 25 mins before Porsche arrived. I was less than 2 miles from the dealership.

Maybe I should have stopped and waited for them to come to me but at the time I was not sure for a while if was in my head or just a stone in the disc or the fact it had been in the workshop for 3 days and had rusty discs or a wheel weight was missing. Maybe I could have slowed and saved the car from the last 'traumatic' bit but it was a rainy day and I chose to head back to the garage. In the end I got soaked.

Thats life..

I am unhurt but the car is not. No one else is hurt and I now have a very apologetic Porsche in the palm of my hand...hahaha

Thanks for all the concern and stuff.
You did absolutely nothing wrong. The dealership is 100% at fault, and unless they give you some significant consideration beyond repairing your car, I'd suggest consulting a lawyer to determine your options. An incident of this nature has the potential to do irreperable damage to the reputation of this dealership.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:31 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

I picked my 2015 991s up today from OPD after they had carried out some service work.. Drove the car approx 4 miles before a wheel vibration started, so called Porsche who said turn around and come back. On the return journey the front near side wheel fell off and the car collapsed on the side of the road.

They are now very apologetic.

My car needs a new front wing, wheel, hub, brake caliper, wheel spacer and a few other bits and bobs...

I know **** happens sometimes, but Porsche said the wheel bolts had been torqued up and signed off by the mechanic.

It was very lucky I had slowed right down before the incident, otherwise the resulting damage could have been so much worse.
Let me give you some idea just how far they were from having those bolts "torqued up and signed off by the mechanic."

Back when I was doing autocross or track every weekend I was also changing wheels and brake pads before and after every event. One time just before driving home from autocross I noticed the left rear felt loose pulling into the Texaco. Turns out I had completely forgotten to torque my wheels. I would always give each nut a good hard snap, probably about 40 lbs worth, then lower and torque. This time, no torque. Yet I was able to drive 90 miles to Bremerton, do 4 autocross runs, and go for gas before one wheel loosened enough to notice.

Your car made it less than 4 miles.

Torqued, my @.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:37 PM
Duke I
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Unbelievable. I would not be satisfied with just a fix.

Are you sure there was no frame damage? I'd be careful on this one. You don't want a car that no longer performs properly. I'd be tempted to get an independent inspection.

Best of luck.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:45 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
I just brought my 981BS to a well-respected local dealership for a simple oil change. Ten miles down the road, the gauge read one bar.
from all the discussions on all the various Porsche boards , most folks would be much more upset at the service tech if it read one bar too high !

Old 02-19-2015, 11:46 PM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I picked my 2015 991s up today from OPD after they had carried out some service work.. Drove the car approx 4 miles before a wheel vibration started, so called Porsche who said turn around and come back. On the return journey the front near side wheel fell off and the car collapsed on the side of the road.

My car needs a new front wing, wheel, hub, brake caliper, wheel spacer and a few other bits and bobs...

I know **** happens sometimes, but Porsche said the wheel bolts had been torqued up and signed off by the mechanic.

It was very lucky I had slowed right down before the incident, otherwise the resulting damage could have been so much worse.
Wow - that's terrible and very scary. Glad you are safe!

I'd have some independent of that dealer do the work! Also to check the suspension.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:46 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 36 Posts

I just brought my 981BS to a well-respected local dealership for a simple oil change. Ten miles down the road, the gauge read one bar.
from all the discussions on all the various Porsche boards , most folks would be MUCH more upset at the service tech if it read one bar above gauge maximum vs one bar above gauge minimum.

Old 02-20-2015, 06:26 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,301 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by MKW
from all the discussions on all the various Porsche boards , most folks would be MUCH more upset at the service tech if it read one bar above gauge maximum vs one bar above gauge minimum.

Their first line was "Well, oil expands when it warms up, so we don't fill it all the way." Yeah, it expands about 6% from room temperature to full operating temperature...
Old 02-20-2015, 10:26 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 698 Likes on 317 Posts

Even if it happened at a Chevy dealership - this is completely unacceptable.

I would want more than just the car fixed, that is for sure.

Hope this gets resolved to the OP's satisfaction.
Old 02-20-2015, 10:27 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 698 Likes on 317 Posts

Their first line was "Well, oil expands when it warms up, so we don't fill it all the way." Yeah, it expands about 6% from room temperature to full operating temperature...
Wow, so they admitted that they didn't fill it up all the way...I would ask them to do it again and fill it all the way. Or does Porsche not recommend filling it all the way (not overfilling, of course) during oil changes? Somehow I doubt this...
Old 02-20-2015, 12:25 PM
roadrat
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 42 Posts

I now always carry a torque wrench when our cars go in the shop. 70 miles after leaving Discount Tire, my wife's wheel came loose (not off) at speed causing vibration which pulled her into the wall adjacent to the highway. She was fine. Car, not sustained $7k in damage. And it ain't driven the same since the repairs.

Quick Reply: Failure 6 miles after service work...