Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Failure 6 miles after service work...

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 12:27 PM
OMG Noooooo....
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Failure 6 miles after service work...

I picked my 2015 991s up today from OPD after they had carried out some service work.. Drove the car approx 4 miles before a wheel vibration started, so called Porsche who said turn around and come back. On the return journey the front near side wheel fell off and the car collapsed on the side of the road.

They are now very apologetic.

My car needs a new front wing, wheel, hub, brake caliper, wheel spacer and a few other bits and bobs...

I know **** happens sometimes, but Porsche said the wheel bolts had been torqued up and signed off by the mechanic.

It was very lucky I had slowed right down before the incident, otherwise the resulting damage could have been so much worse.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:31 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Holy ****! I feel for you.

Dumb asses! Who is doing the work, the car wash kid that started yesterday??
Old 02-19-2015, 12:35 PM
OMG Noooooo....
Racer

To top it all off they then offered me the use an Audi A3 till they can repair mine.

I am sure you can imagine my response to that.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:36 PM
Dude174
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Holy crap! Glad you weren't going any faster and weren't hurt! This helps reinforce my (and some others) opinion about doing your own work - make sure it's done right. NOT saying that's the case in your incident - more to other discussions regarding oil changes, etc etc

Glad you're unhurt
Old 02-19-2015, 12:40 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by OMG Noooooo....
To top it all off they then offered me the use an Audi A3 till they can repair mine. I am sure you can imagine my response to that.
Audi? Good for you not taking it. They better get something better for you. It's going to be in the shop for at least a month I'm sure with paint work on the bumper.

Good that you or anyone else wasn't hurt.

Did you take a pic?
Old 02-19-2015, 12:45 PM
OMG Noooooo....
Racer

I was so busy directing traffic and warning on coming vehicles of the car in the road I did not have time.

On the upside I now have a turbo wheel to make something with... Any good ideas?
Old 02-19-2015, 12:47 PM
Dude174
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Hose reel in your garage - ask me how I know haha!!
Old 02-19-2015, 12:56 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,301 Likes on 886 Posts

I just brought my 981BS to a well-respected local dealership for a simple oil change. Ten miles down the road, the gauge read one bar.
Old 02-19-2015, 01:26 PM
budrichard
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My wife was driving a 1999 XC70 many years ago that we purchased new. The Dealership had just serviced it. A front wheel fell off in a parking lot.
Dealership fixed all for free, it happens but it stinks!-Richard
Old 02-19-2015, 01:33 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,604 Likes on 2,343 Posts

f**king ridiculous... you and others could have been hurt or killed, and your pristine car now has accident damage.

I think you should consider asking your insurance, or an independent assessor to estimate the loss of value due to this and ask the dealer for that sum, since it is entirely their negligence that caused this.
Old 02-19-2015, 01:57 PM
DucatiSPS
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 30 Posts

speaking from unfortunate history on vibrations - if your car is serviced and you have a "new" vibration, stop right away, it's almost aways missing/loose lug nuts. My bad story involves my dad and his 100 point 289 Cobra (original). had it in for brakes, guys reversed the knockoffs when putting the car back together, so instead of tightening as you drove, they loosened themselves up. he turned a corner only to watch his front left wheel leave the car and go bouncing down the street. not a fun repair or call to the insurance company.
Old 02-19-2015, 02:04 PM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 330 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Dude174
Holy crap! Glad you weren't going any faster and weren't hurt! This helps reinforce my (and some others) opinion about doing your own work - make sure it's done right. NOT saying that's the case in your incident - more to other discussions regarding oil changes, etc etc

Glad you're unhurt

Ditto,....one reason I don't really trust any dealer (Porsche or not). I'm the guy who has the most on the line being the owner, so most things I do myself and double/triple check everything along the way.

I was going to say get some comp service visits due to this mishap, but who in their right mind would want to go back!

Good luck with the repairs, glad you were not hurt.
Old 02-19-2015, 02:07 PM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
f**king ridiculous... you and others could have been hurt or killed, and your pristine car now has accident damage. I think you should consider asking your insurance, or an independent assessor to estimate the loss of value due to this and ask the dealer for that sum, since it is entirely their negligence that caused this.
+1 Agreed.
Old 02-19-2015, 02:08 PM
77tony
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
f**king ridiculous... you and others could have been hurt or killed, and your pristine car now has accident damage.

I think you should consider asking your insurance, or an independent assessor to estimate the loss of value due to this and ask the dealer for that sum, since it is entirely their negligence that caused this.
Sorry to hear about this. Does Great Britain have car fax or similar that could hurt you down the road ? T
Old 02-19-2015, 02:16 PM
OMG Noooooo....
Racer

Things are looking up... A nice Carmine red 991 GTS has just pulled up outside the house. Its the same GTS I tested for a few hours a month back. So now I can try it out a bit more...

Quick Reply: Failure 6 miles after service work...