Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autocar; GT3 vs 991 GTS vs Cayman GTS

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2015 | 04:10 AM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Default Autocar; GT3 vs 991 GTS vs Cayman GTS

Now let the fun and games of vitriol and abuse begin!

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/ne...gts-comparison
Old 02-14-2015 | 11:16 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

I spent a bit of time in a Cayman GTS on a track at Porsche World road show and based on that limited experience- and a lot of time in my C2S with PASM Sport- I think that review is right on target. Its not that other Porsche's aren't superb, it is that the confidence inspiring balance and capability of the Cayman GTS are so instantly accessible.
Old 02-14-2015 | 12:15 PM
mattyf
Pro

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
I spent a bit of time in a Cayman GTS on a track at Porsche World road show and based on that limited experience- and a lot of time in my C2S with PASM Sport- I think that review is right on target. Its not that other Porsche's aren't superb, it is that the confidence inspiring balance and capability of the Cayman GTS are so instantly accessible.
Just drove my buddy's up the ACH yesterday. The Cayman GTS is an amazing car. Getting into a new car always takes some time to adjust, especially one my friend just picked up in Jan. But the Cayman is so predicable, so effortless, no drama in the corners, it made getting the feel for it almost instant. The car was made for eating turns. Trail braking also felt more confident, didn't feel like the car wanted to switch ends when braking hard into a corner.

I like to think of myself as a manual purist too, but the latest PDK transmission is nothing short of brilliant: instant rev matches, the throttle off gurgles. I found myself enjoying it much more than I had expected.

I got back in my 997 and it felt a little old. The suspension was harsher, steering jiggly and the *** all wiggly in the turns. Then I realized, as much as I loved the Cayman I would really miss the dance of the 911.

So I think I'll just need both
Old 02-14-2015 | 07:41 PM
chuck911
Race Car

They almost got it right:
The truth is that you suspect the ‘GTS’ badge will be applied by Porsche more like a fairly ordinary trim level than a mark of real sporting flavour in the years to come.
Suspect? In years to come?
Old 02-15-2015 | 03:24 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

its ALWAYS been such...
Old 02-15-2015 | 04:15 PM
chuck911
Race Car

With GTS. Only GTS. With everything else they're very clear. The 911_50 has the same wide body and X51 as the GTS, but they never came out crowing about it being the next thing to a GT3. The GTS is a 50 with modern colors, Alcantara- oh, and three letters instead of two numbers. Marketing. This is what happens when Porsche lets marketing run amok.

"[The GTS] feels like an optimally configured but familiar Carrera S, rather than anything genuinely new."
Old 02-15-2015 | 04:32 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chuck911
With GTS. Only GTS. With everything else they're very clear. The 911_50 has the same wide body and X51 as the GTS, but they never came out crowing about it being the next thing to a GT3. The GTS is a 50 with modern colors, Alcantara- oh, and three letters instead of two numbers. Marketing. This is what happens when Porsche lets marketing run amok.

"[The GTS] feels like an optimally configured but familiar Carrera S, rather than anything genuinely new."
I believe that's essentially the definition of marketing. I don't see what it is, or why, you are bitching over.
Old 02-15-2015 | 04:49 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Don't? Or won't?
Old 02-15-2015 | 04:53 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

DONT... actually I'm pretty tired of your rants they are pointless ... I hope they make you feel better ... I for one am done wasting my time ... when you are on point you are worth listening too ... when you are not you are not.

You have (re)stated your frustration with, and opinion of, Porsche marketing in regard to the positioning of the GTS, in pretty much every GTS thread there has been in
this forum since the launch of the car, ad nauseam, message received, time to take the broken record off... we hear you even if we dont understand you, repetition
is not adding any value IMO

Last edited by Larry Cable; 02-15-2015 at 05:37 PM.
Old 02-15-2015 | 05:05 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

More positive comments from Chuck on the GTS, or at least he says he is positive about the GTS. Still waiting for you to tell me which 991 you have.
Old 02-15-2015 | 05:14 PM
STG
Race Director

With GTS. Only GTS. With everything else they're very clear. The 911_50 has the same wide body and X51 as the GTS, but they never came out crowing about it being the next thing to a GT3. The GTS is a 50 with modern colors, Alcantara- oh, and three letters instead of two numbers. Marketing. This is what happens when Porsche lets marketing run amok. "[The GTS] feels like an optimally configured but familiar Carrera S, rather than anything genuinely new." http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/ne...gts-comparison
Chuck, at this point you keep stating the obvious and seem to be creating controversy when there isn't any.

Can we all agree the GTS is a greatly packaged 991?

Even though it may not live up to the mythical GTS badge. All the other GTS variants in the other models are similarly configured from their S models, etc..

For any big jumps in options, they've left that to the GT3's, 4's etc. correct??
Old 02-15-2015 | 05:17 PM
STG
Race Director

So the GTS is much much closer to the Carrera S than the GT3 obviously. Is there anything wrong with that?

It's the same strategy and games they play with the HP #'s between models and trim levels.

It is marketing. That's what all consumer good companies do.

They want to sell, they want you to buy, they want to make $$. Capitalism at its finest. The way it's supposed to work.
Old 02-15-2015 | 05:32 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
More positive comments from Chuck on the GTS, or at least he says he is positive about the GTS. Still waiting for you to tell me which 991 you have.
The marketing challenge of 2015. Maybe a Trump Celebrity Apprentice challenge?

What would it take to sell Chuck a new car?
Old 02-15-2015 | 07:26 PM
DD GT3 RD
Rennlist Member

I don't think anyone looks at a GTS and thinks GT3, they think (at least I do and hope they do) best performing Carrera S or Carrera S on Performance Enhancing Drugs but still comfortable enough to daily drive for those who can't handle a GT3 on a daily basis.
Old 02-15-2015 | 08:01 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD
I don't think anyone looks at a GTS and thinks GT3, they think (at least I do and hope they do) best performing Carrera S or Carrera S on Performance Enhancing Drugs but still comfortable enough to daily drive for those who can't handle a GT3 on a daily basis.
Or those that want a 997 GT3 track car equivalent with cheaper consumable parts and a new warranty.

Quick Reply: Autocar; GT3 vs 991 GTS vs Cayman GTS