Sponsored by:

Quick question about allocation

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015 | 08:29 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Default Quick question about allocation

Hello guys;

So I am about to put a deposit down on a 911 and my dealer says that the order will be "locked" in March and build in May. Does that sound right? I have feeling this abut the deposit that is "non-refundable."
Old 01-27-2015 | 08:41 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Is this a question about the deposit or whether a two month window between lock and build is normal? If it is the latter, two months sounds about right in my experience. Your sales guy only really knows what is in his computer. There is an allocation date of when the car will be built and a lock date after which you can't make change to your order. Your car, or more appropriately the parts that make up your car, are not kept in inventory and only arrive at the factory shortly before they are needed. (This saves money, which is what Porsche is all about by not having to store inventory and only placing orders for components that they will need/use). Anyway, because the part availability and production schedules are not set in stone the build and lock date can be somewhat fluid. My first 911 had spot on lock and build dates and my most recent 911 had a build date that was a month early (the lock date, as I recall, was as soon as they accepted my PTS choice). A good salesman can and will keep you apprised as or if these dates change.
Old 01-27-2015 | 08:46 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the response. This is my first Porsche so new to the process. BMW has a different system to ordering. Which I prefer over Porsches. Oh well....5 month wait is going to suck
Old 01-27-2015 | 09:20 PM
jmirandes
Advanced

Waited well over 6 months for mine..., (or 9 based on first deposit for allocation) if it makes you feel any better...damn long wait...
Old 01-27-2015 | 09:21 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by neurotichamster8
Hello guys;

So I am about to put a deposit down on a 911 and my dealer says that the order will be "locked" in March and build in May. Does that sound right? I have feeling this abut the deposit that is "non-refundable."
The deposit is always refundable, if your dealer does not have a commission # for your build he does not have an allocation & order placed for you!

I placed my order 11/6 and it locked a couple of weeks ago, for April build. But I have always had the commission number from the day the order was placed.

What he means by "locked" is that you wont be able to change it once it locks.
Old 01-27-2015 | 09:27 PM
LexVan
Banned

You could always ask another dealership if they have an earlier build allocation slot open.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 01-27-2015 | 09:34 PM
FORENN
Banned

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
The deposit is always refundable, if your dealer does not have a commission # for your build he does not have an allocation & order placed for you!

I placed my order 11/6 and it locked a couple of weeks ago, for April build. But I have always had the commission number from the day the order was placed.

Just to be clear, this varies by state. In states such as California, it is always refundable, regardless of what the dealer may tell you. In other states, though, the deposit may not be refunded if the dealer and buyer agree at the outset it is nonrefundable. State laws on this issue vary.
Old 01-27-2015 | 09:40 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LexVan
You could always ask another dealership if they have an earlier build allocation slot open.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Brett @ Sonnen has a bunch!
Old 01-27-2015 | 09:40 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sportscentury
Just to be clear, this varies by state. In states such as California, it is always refundable, regardless of what the dealer may tell you. In other states, though, the deposit may not be refunded if the dealer and buyer agree at the outset it is nonrefundable. State laws on this issue vary.
+1
Old 01-27-2015 | 09:43 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

I live in PA. Weather is pretty ****ty here until April; I was hoping to get it by then..so I guess, another month or so is not too bad.

Anyone know what the law is in PA for deposits? I always assumed it is refundable (BMW dealer was) since no merchandise is exchanged only a "promise."
Old 01-27-2015 | 09:54 PM
Vise
Drifting

One thing I'd recommend is that you verify that your dealer does a decent amount of volume and has legit access to allocations. I've read here and elsewhere that some small volume dealers will be all too happy to accept your deposit (non-refundable no less) and string you along for 6+ months while they wait for an allocation.

Buyer beware I guess... March lock and May delivery seems like a reasonable timeline assuming everything goes according to plan.
Old 01-27-2015 | 09:56 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Vise
One thing I'd recommend is that you verify that your dealer does a decent amount of volume and has legit access to allocations. I've read here and elsewhere that some small volume dealers will be all too happy to accept your deposit (non-refundable no less) and string you along for 6+ months while they wait for an allocation.

Buyer beware I guess... March lock and May delivery seems like a reasonable timeline assuming everything goes according to plan.
NO commission # no build/allocation - simple as that.
Old 01-27-2015 | 09:59 PM
Vise
Drifting

NO commission # no build/allocation - simple as that.
Yep. For people new to Porsche this is key so good advice to the OP.
Old 01-27-2015 | 10:00 PM
911sccab
Racer

I'm currently hearing March build and May delivery. Going in next week to review and finalize the order. Seems like a reasonable time table to me for a special ordered specialty car that needs to cross an ocean to find me.
Old 01-27-2015 | 10:20 PM
SDaddy
Rennlist Member

Larry (as usual) is 100% correct. I placed an order later in November for what is now a February build. Brett has provided a commission # since the get-go. Larry's build locked already, mine is "pending" I am anxiously awaiting word that I'm locked....

Quick Reply: Quick question about allocation