Sponsored by:

Rear facing child seat for 991?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 05:34 PM
TheAnswer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear facing child seat for 991?

I found one that fit but only front facing. Newborns have to go rear facing. Any ideas? Thanks guys
Old 01-11-2015, 09:18 PM
mjgoetzi
Intermediate

+1
Just bought the Diono rxt but only fits forward facing. Most all old threads are on the 997 and prior. Interested if someone has found a solution too
Old 01-11-2015, 10:41 PM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I can't directly help you as only had forward facing, but you can remove the bottom seat cushions I believe.
Old 01-12-2015, 04:39 AM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 129 Posts

I can't believe I know this but I do. Seems like yesterday.

Under 2 years old needs to be rear facing. Check Graco's website. It's been 6 years now but I had a Graco child seat that was a combo. It clicked into a "base" that easily fits in the 997. A friend had a 997 and I had to take his car for a weekend years ago. If it fit in the 997, it'll easily work in the 991.

The baby carrier clicked into the base easy. It worked really well because the base was small and attached into the real anchors. I don't know if they make it any more. I'll look for a picture and see if I have one.
Old 01-12-2015, 01:37 PM
cpt_slow
Instructor

We have a Base in our civic and RX but I couldn't imagine putting a base in the back of any Porsche and still being able to fit someone in the front seat. But I would love to see if this is possible!
Old 01-13-2015, 12:43 PM
TheAnswer
Instructor

I certainly couldn't fit with the child behind me, but my wife could be moved up enough to get it to fit. We got the front facing seat (thought it would go rear facing but it doesn't) and it is possible, but it won't go rear facing because of the funny narrow seat in the back. This won't be our primary way of getting around as a family, but its fun for a date to drop the kid off at a relative's house and drive around.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:35 AM
walterwu
Advanced

Originally Posted by mjgoetzi
+1
Just bought the Diono rxt but only fits forward facing. Most all old threads are on the 997 and prior. Interested if someone has found a solution too
I purchased this seat after scouring the site for recommendations, but I was disappointed with it for several reasons.

1) it doesn't sit straight up. It will abut the b-pillar and tilt toward the center.

2) the buckle for the rear feather doesn't not sit flat during use. instead it tends to angle vertically, like a knife, and will leave a big, nasty indentation in the wimpy rear seats cushions (have full leather, but I don't know if that affects how durable the rear seats are)

3) as a travel car seat for vacations, it's not to easy to use because it won't stand up in a stable position when it is folded up.

4) the pass through slot for the side tethers sit up way to high, rather down low, so that after installation, every time you go to tighten the belt straps, the side tethers have a tendency to ride up and the whole seat tilts up, no matter how you tighten it.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:47 AM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 129 Posts

Most guys have no idea how much a pain in the a** it is to accommodate a baby or toddler in the car or SUV for that matter. Sorry to not be clear. The Graco I was using in the 997 was placed in the rear passenger side seat and my better half wasn't along for the ride. There's no way she would have let me drive around with my daughter at that age back then if she wasn't in a rear facing car seat. The cool thing was that I remember she was right there to my right as we traveled. That was with the passenger front seat almost all the way forward.

I guess to summarize the 911 isn't the best choice of transportation for a newborn if a rear facing car seat is needed. That unless your wife is only 4 feet tall.
Old 01-14-2015, 05:57 PM
993Mpls
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I haven't heard of any rear-facing seat that works in the back seat of any 911. My recommendation is that you just wait until the baby is in a forward-facing seat, for which there are several options. It'll happen soon enough.
Old 01-16-2015, 12:18 PM
ankuse
Track Day

did a search see forum below - someone posted a model that worked both front and rear facing.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7592...baby-seat.html
Old 01-18-2015, 01:52 AM
991_Simba
2nd Gear

Default 991 Rear-facing in the rear seat

I have used a Cybex Aton 2 in the rear seat of the 991. The seat has great safety features including the leg that absorbs and directs the force to the ground. It is German designed and available here in the U.S. The base stays in the car and the seat drops into it rear-facing. The little one is getting too tall for it now so I am trying to find something that is convertible as she is 14 months and about 33". The front seat needs to be moved up a bit so the passenger can't be more than 5'3" to fit but I usually don't have a passenger when I am taking the little one to daycare.
Old 12-16-2019, 02:26 AM
Splitsecond
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a Cybex Aton 2 for the 991. I found that if you use the base, the front seat is usable, but the occupant can't be more than 5'5", and there not very comfortable. However, if you remove the base with Latch, and instead use the seat-belt alone, you can make the front passenger much more comfortable. I took some measurements. Hopefully others find this info valuable. FYI - I did not remove the rear seat backrest, though i did remove the "LATCH" cover. Because the baby seat encounters the back seat rest, below the backrest itself. As opposed to the LATCH pad, it doesn't seem to potentially benefit from removing the rear seat back rest.

I took some pictures:

with base - side view
with base - height measurement - front view

without base - side view
without base - height measurement - front view
The following users liked this post:
sudodan (07-30-2024)
Old 10-09-2021, 12:50 AM
AlbertLinc
4th Gear

Default Cybex Aton

Hi all,

I’ve read earlier posts about using Cybex Aton in a 991, with and without a base. But it was unclear to me if both setups requires the front passenger seat to be moved all the way to the front. For those who have experience, appreciate if you could shed some light on this.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Rear facing child seat for 991?