Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Stripped a screw that doesn't exist!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2021, 12:24 AM
997 guy
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Help! Stripped a screw that doesn't exist!

I accidentally stripped one of the screws for the airbag mounting plate and I can't find a part number anywhere! Anyone know what how to find this part or an equivalent? Also anyone got any recommendations on how to go about removing the stripped torx?

Pictured is the plate, upper screw is stripped, and one of the screws are removed so you can see what the screw looks like:

Old 09-16-2021, 12:36 AM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,320 Posts

Tap one size larger torx (or a similarly sized hex driver) into the stripped head and try turning that.

If that fails, lightly slot the torx with a rotary cutoff wheel. Take a small chisel and hammer, use it to tap somewhere near the outer edge of the head within the slot you created in order to turn it counter clockwise.

Is this a 991.1 or 991.2? Just saw the PN in the image, this appears to be a 991.2.

Last edited by asellus; 09-16-2021 at 12:45 AM.
Old 09-16-2021, 12:54 AM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,320 Posts

Searching around, it looks like that plate is part of the steering wheel assembly itself, which makes the screw integral to the greater part. If a dealership (or someone else here) can't give you a part number for that particular screw, your best bet is to take good measurements of one of the screws and find that exact screw in the parts catalogue (or hardware store).
Old 09-16-2021, 07:56 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,350 Likes on 760 Posts

Running a cut across the top to then be able to use a flat head screw driver may help remove and save the screw for continued use. You can use a dermal with a cutting disk to create the slot.
The following 2 users liked this post by Penn4S:
LWG (09-16-2021), NJ991 (09-18-2021)
Old 09-16-2021, 08:01 AM
Mac M
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

See below, this tool has saved me more than once. Good luck.

https://www.vampiretools.com/shop/se...-4-pc-set-s4a/

The following 2 users liked this post by Mac M:
Jimmyk79 (09-18-2021), Tier1Terrier (09-16-2021)
Old 09-16-2021, 10:36 AM
neptune36
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 34 Posts

Don't kill the messenger. I read a in a DIY blog a quick way to get a stripped phillips head screw out. Lay a wide rubber band across the stripped head and push the driver into it. The claim I guess is the rubber will conform into the stripped gaps and give enough friction to twist out the screw. Easy to try but haven't had the occasion to attempt it. May work for torx. If this doesn't work, I agree with grinding a slot into the head or the tool Mac M suggested
Old 09-16-2021, 01:24 PM
LWG
Burning Brakes

Received 638 Likes on 236 Posts

I had the same issue when swapping steering wheel.

I used a dremel to cut a flat cut into the head of the screw. I then used a flat heat to unscrew. but first I soaked in PM Blaster and heated with torch. It was stuck.
Old 09-16-2021, 06:08 PM
997 guy
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by asellus
Searching around, it looks like that plate is part of the steering wheel assembly itself, which makes the screw integral to the greater part. If a dealership (or someone else here) can't give you a part number for that particular screw, your best bet is to take good measurements of one of the screws and find that exact screw in the parts catalogue (or hardware store).
Yes based on the diagrams I'm finding like the above, doesn't seem like a dealer would have a part number. Trying to figure out of the steering wheel is made by someone else like ZF or something.

I tried hammering in a flat head - it was just the right width and wedged in deep, got some decent torque trying to turn it but the screw is on so tight it stripped again. It's a T20 screw and hole was too small to tap a T25 in, hex was the same story.

Originally Posted by Penn4S
Running a cut across the top to then be able to use a flat head screw driver may help remove and save the screw for continued use. You can use a dermal with a cutting disk to create the slot.
Ordered a dremel will try this next though I'm not sure I can get the disk in at the correct angle

Originally Posted by Mac M

Interesting, though not sure if it would work for this. There is a plate behind the screw head, leaving very little to grab

Originally Posted by neptune36
Don't kill the messenger. I read a in a DIY blog a quick way to get a stripped phillips head screw out. Lay a wide rubber band across the stripped head and push the driver into it. The claim I guess is the rubber will conform into the stripped gaps and give enough friction to twist out the screw. Easy to try but haven't had the occasion to attempt it. May work for torx. If this doesn't work, I agree with grinding a slot into the head or the tool Mac M suggested
I tried this too, the bit actually makes less contact with the rubber band in there.

Originally Posted by LWG
I had the same issue when swapping steering wheel.

I used a dremel to cut a flat cut into the head of the screw. I then used a flat heat to unscrew. but first I soaked in PM Blaster and heated with torch. It was stuck.
The screws are springloaded so I didn't think a spray would help, but I have some Kroil I'll use with the next attempt. What did you replace the screw with?

Last edited by 997 guy; 09-16-2021 at 06:12 PM.
Old 09-16-2021, 11:51 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,105 Likes on 665 Posts

For replacement screws, try McMaster-Carr or Belmetric.
Old 09-17-2021, 09:50 AM
neptune36
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 34 Posts

I just remembered I bought a set of Speed-Outs to extract a stripped screw. Harbor Freight has an extractor set too. Here's a link from Lowes. These worked for me.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/SpeedOut-8-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 09-17-2021, 12:00 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,223 Likes on 740 Posts

https://skygeek.com/screwgrab.html?u...mpaign=froogle
Old 09-17-2021, 05:08 PM
AKKutz
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 18 Posts

I had the same issue. However, I was fortunate to have a number of different torx bit sockets on hand. Wound up getting it loose and reused. Feel sorry for me if I want to put the stock wheel back... Please post a part number if you find one.
Old 09-18-2021, 07:07 AM
Jimmyk79
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 29 Posts

love finding new tools! Ordered - thanks

Gluck OP - I often use the dremmel method with a lot of success

Originally Posted by Mac M

Old 09-18-2021, 07:47 AM
fnckr
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by neptune36
Similar concept has worked with electrical tape.

Slot and chisel are your best bet. Use a vice to hold the part.
Old 09-18-2021, 09:34 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

If you ever worked on old Japanese motor cycles you would be familiar with these.
Amazon Amazon
The following users liked this post:
Redrider (09-19-2021)

Quick Reply: Help! Stripped a screw that doesn't exist!