Alternative to Black Leather Interior

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 11:58 PM
PsychicDreamer
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Alternative to Black Leather Interior

I typically buy black-only interiors.

However, inspired by my friends new Audi R8 interior, I ordered my 991C2S with deviated seat color in Garnet Red with black deviated stitching.

Then I deviated the rest of the black leather with Garnet Red stitching. The result is a really great alternative to a standard black interior.

And with the standard silver trim, the whole interior looks amazing.

I prefer this use of red versus the entire interior being colored red.

If you're thinking of getting a red leather interior for your car, check out the photos i've attached.

Garnet Red full leather seats. Everything else is black leather.

Deviated stitching in Garnet Red. The seats are stitched in black thread.

Here's what it looks like with the door open.

You can still see I have Red Leather seats.

Here are the rear seats. FYI, the carpet remains black. And the back of the rear seats is black carpet as well.

Black stitching on Garnet Red leather seats.

Old 01-03-2015, 12:01 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,411 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Nice execution.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 01-03-2015, 12:01 AM
cdelrosario
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

Very Nicely Done! Having most of the Interior in Black with the Red Seats & stitching is. beautiful...but the all Red interior IS NOT,

I would get your interior in a heartbeat!
Old 01-03-2015, 12:43 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by PsychicDreamer
However, inspired by my friends new Audi R8 interior, I ordered my 991C2S with deviated seat color in Garnet Red with black deviated stitching. Then I deviated the rest of the black leather with Garnet Red stitching. The result is a really great alternative to a standard black interior.
Congratulations on that stunning interior! You & Brett of Sonnen Porsche must be psychic dream buddies because he also ordered a similar interior a while back on one of his specced 991's for inventory. He chose not to do deviating stitching on the seats and it looked fine without. The sea of red leather often makes difficult distinguishing the deviating stitching in 'Black' (that is why I didn't order it on my '12 Spyder 'Carrera Red' custom leather interior). And you save quite a bit of money omitting that option and concentrating your dollars on other neat leather options for your interior. See Post #215 at:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7085...nd-you-15.html

The deviating seat color option, like Psychic ordered, hopefully catches on and is tried by others with different leather color seats! For example, an all 'Black' interior with deviating seats in 'Cognac' would look wonderful. So would an all 'Black' or 'Agate Grey' 991 interior with seats in bright 'Amber Orange', the latter borrowed from the 981 leather option line! So be creative & unique with your custom order via 'Porsche Exclusive'! Just food for thought for those who dare.

By the way, a Red on a Black interior for an Audi R8? I think I have seen that beautiful combination somewhere too..oh, yes, right here in my garage!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images   
Old 01-03-2015, 12:55 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,852 Likes on 5,174 Posts

Beautiful. Reminds me of my C4S.

Congrats.
Old 01-03-2015, 01:01 AM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 330 Likes on 219 Posts

Very nice job!

I've seen a black 991 with black interior but with deviated red carpet and then red stitching throughout,....on the surface it sounds a bit strange, but it person it was pretty darn cool. Always like how Porsche allows you to do this, albeit for a price!
Old 01-03-2015, 01:03 AM
PsychicDreamer
Advanced

Z356,

Your Audi R8 is EXACTLY what inspired me to try this on a Porsche. My friend has a coupe with that same interior style.

I've always thought Audi beat Porsche on interior design, but the new 991 has been much improved.

But damn, your R8 is amazing.

I almost bought a used R8 4.2 coupe instead of the new 991C2S, but the R8 is too flashy for me. The 991 is invisible as a daily driver.

If only the R8 got better gas mileage....
Old 01-03-2015, 02:42 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Z356,

Your Audi R8 is EXACTLY what inspired me to try this on a Porsche. My friend has a coupe with that same interior style.

I've always thought Audi beat Porsche on interior design, but the new 991 has been much improved.

But damn, your R8 is amazing.

I almost bought a used R8 4.2 coupe instead of the new 991C2S, but the R8 is too flashy for me. The 991 is invisible as a daily driver.

If only the R8 got better gas mileage....
Psychic: Better gas mileage? Mine does. It's the nifty plug-in electric model (e-tron) that it's always tethered to the solar panels on my garage's roof! It has enough range to get me from Carmel to my pal Elon Musk's Tesla factory in Fremont, Ca, and back, on a single battery charge!

And this thing is quiet too...

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images   
Old 01-03-2015, 05:05 AM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

Psychic, your car is amazing and leaves me wildly perplexed.

Last summer and fall, before I switched my order to a GTS (for which ZERO deviating options are allowed), I had worked pretty extensively with Melissa at Porsche Exclusive on a customized interior for a C4S Cab. At that time, deviating leather could only be ordered for the seat inserts and door armrests. Deviating leather for the entire seat was not available. So, may I ask when you ordered and received this incredible car?
Old 01-03-2015, 09:46 AM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

Wow, nicely executed.

Enjoy it.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 01-03-2015, 03:20 PM
PsychicDreamer
Advanced

Hinckley,

My car is a 2015, ordered in 2014.

The seats are the standard deviated thread option. I simply chose black thread instead of the standard garnet red that would have come with this seat color. I think the black threading looks awesome against the garnet red seats.

This is why Porsche offers deviated stitching in multiple areas - all separate options. The door panels alone were three different order codes to create.

My total deviated threading costs were about $3,300. But, the result is quite impressive. Worthy of a $100k car.

I hope this clarifies your question.
Old 01-03-2015, 03:33 PM
PsychicDreamer
Advanced

Hinckley,

Sorry, I thought you were asking about my deviated threading.

The seats are the deviated color option. You have to ask. It's not on the car configurator. Neither is deviated stitching.

You can deviated the color of the seats to pretty much any current Porsche color. I asked about this possibility and my sales guy didn't know if it was even possible. After asking, he found the order code.

I don't have that order code. Maybe someone in this forumn can provide it for you.
Old 01-03-2015, 04:52 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Hinckley, Sorry, I thought you were asking about my deviated threading. The seats are the deviated color option. You have to ask. It's not on the car configurator. Neither is deviated stitching. You can deviated the color of the seats to pretty much any current Porsche color. I asked about this possibility and my sales guy didn't know if it was even possible. After asking, he found the order code. I don't have that order code. Maybe someone in this forumn can provide it for you.
Psychic, thanks again. I'm guessing that the surfaces that are eligible for deviating leather change like so much else with Porsche Exclusive. Back in August or September, Melissa told me that deviating leather for the full seats was not available. As a matter of fact, I posted her email on Eduardo's Exclusive Options sticky. Apparently that has changed. Again, great job on this config. Congrats.

Btw, you may want to post your build on Eduardo's sticky so everyone can see what's now available.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:03 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default It doesn't sound or seem right...

Originally Posted by hinckley
Last summer and fall, before I switched my order to a GTS (for which ZERO deviating options are allowed), I had worked pretty extensively with Melissa at Porsche Exclusive on a customized interior for a C4S Cab. At that time, deviating leather could only be ordered for the seat inserts and door armrests. Deviating leather for the entire seat was not available. So, may I ask when you ordered and received this incredible car?
Hinckley: My car is a 2015, ordered in 2014...The seats are the deviated color option.
Originally Posted by hinckley
Psychic, thanks again. I'm guessing that the surfaces that are eligible for deviating leather change like so much else with Porsche Exclusive. Back in August or September, Melissa told me that deviating leather for the full seats was not available. As a matter of fact, I posted her email on Eduardo's Exclusive Options sticky. Apparently that has changed.
Did it changed & it wasn't available for a time (as you diplomatically suggest)...or did 'Porsche Exclusive' in the US dropped the ball re: your request????

Here are the facts:

Brett Payne was able to get it smoothly done on at least two of his specced MY2014 991's. See where he tells us about it here at Rennlist in the thread below. It starts at post #30 dated 12/08/2013:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7897...ailable-2.html

That is the interior I posted before...and have attached to this post too!

And Psychic has just done it. It's the subject of this thread. But you Hinckley were told it couldn't be done last summer & early fall (2014). Was it that the factory temporarily couldn't accommodate your request? Or that your question was not properly understood by them? Or did in fact 'Porsche Exclusive' in the US failed to do its job properly? Please review your emails with Melissa and let's get to the bottom of this question. I think customers need to have confidence that when they speak with a representative of 'Porsche Exclusive' on their perhaps once-in-a-lifetime custom order of their dream Porsche they can trust the information they receive!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images     
Old 01-03-2015, 07:36 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Z356
But you Hinckley were told it couldn't be done last summer & early fall (2014). Was it that the factory temporarily couldn't accommodate your request? Or that your question was not properly understood by them? Or did in fact 'Porsche Exclusive' in the US failed to do its job properly? Please review your emails with Melissa and let's get to the bottom of this question.
Fair question. I just reviewed the entire email string from early-June thru mid-July.

Originally, I asked Melissa about deviating leather for "seats, door center panel, door armrest and door handle".

Melissa responded: "Starting with our model year 2015 911's (which started production in June), the only deviating leather options on your list are the seat inlays and the armrests."

Not liking to take no for an answer, I followed-up: "just to confirm, it’s only the seat inlays or center section, and not the entire seat, that is available?"

Melissa's response: "Correct. Just the seat inlays (aka seat centers)."

Pretty clear to me.

I don't know whether this is relevant, but when I was at my dealer's last week, they had a custom ordered interior in stock with deviating seat inlays and armrests. Last week, I took that as validation of Melissa's comments. Could it be a regional thing? Stogy northeast vs avant-garde California?

Quick Reply: Alternative to Black Leather Interior