Sponsored by:

991 vs. 997.2

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 10:43 PM
Cajun Martyni
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
Let me start off by saying. You can't go wrong with either one. I would choose a 997.2 over a 997.1 for reliability issues and the added performance. I don't believe the 991 has that great of a cushion over the 997.2 in added performance though. Both offer a PDK and last I checked they are within a few tenths in acceleration.
Price wise. A low mileage 997.2 is about 7k to 12k less than a 2012 991. I was just doing the math not to long ago. One thing I noticed is that there are far fewer 997's available for resale than the 991's. There could be one of two reasons for that. People are keeping them or much fewer vehicles available because they fall into the recession years where less were sold. The latter I believe is true. That being said. I think you would be happy with either car. I would be. For now LOL. The great news is you can always move up without loosing to much equity in a few years. As many have stated here. If you have the added funds than go for the newer car. These cars are like Rolex watches. Enjoy what you can afford and trade up when your ready. Think of it as an heirloom for yourself.
I like the concept of an heirloom to myself. It's sort of full circle for me. I had an '83 Targa in '87 when my wife got pregnant with our first of three. Kept it until about '90 and sold it because it just didn't work with my wife in the backseat and baby riding shotgun. But I had a blast with the car and drove it 30,000 or so for very little expense except tires and routine service. Last child is now about to start the senior year of high school. So while I'm certainly not done underwriting children's expenses, the end of the tunnel is in sight. In response to a prior poster's question I don't have a "budget" in mind, per say. Looking to spend as little as necessary to get the best bang for the buck. I'm not willing or able to pay anything like the prices that they want, new. But I will pay more if it's likely to mean more fun and better percentage recouped at resale- unless I want to keep it for my equivalent of forever. I have always had and regularly used 2 DD's This will be one of them. The other is a truck. So the truck sees the tough duty and bad weather. This one sleeps in the garage but gets driven regularly- weather and schedule permitting. I live in Florida so if the weather is bad today it will be nice again in a day or two.
Old 12-24-2014, 01:01 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
If by *help* you mean help me want a 7GT3 more, then yes, yes it did.
Old 12-24-2014, 01:28 AM
drmatara
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Cajun Martyni
I've been deciding between 997.1 or 997.2, and that's probably where I'll land. But in another thread I saw someone suggest that there wasn't a lot of price difference between the really nice, low miles, later model 997.2's and some 2012 991s with similar miles. Is that true and, if so, why? Obviously the 997.2s may have some more options, many of which I won't care about. So I have to ask, what are the thoughts between the two? I've done a search and didn't see this discussed as a thread, though I expect that it has been talked about a lot. If I buy a 997, it would be an "S". 997.1 would be manual. 997.2 (or 991) would probably be PDK. In addition to performance (and I do like some comfort) minimizing cost of ownership/value drop in 3-4 years and 25,000-30,000 miles of driving is a big consideration for me. I've also posted this question in the 997 forum. Thanks.
I've owned both 997 and 991...go with the 991 if price is close...you'll not regret it
Old 12-24-2014, 09:55 AM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
this might help:
Very competent for sure, but three seconds is quite a bit for one lap though.
Old 12-24-2014, 10:06 AM
Austin997.2
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by rodsky
Coming from a Ferrari 250 GTO, I just drove a Cayenne TT and realized now what a piece of junk the 250 was. It didn't even have BT, Burmester or deviated stitching. I now have the 250 on Craigslist. Plus the TT I drove only had the 14 way seats. Cant wait to get one with the 18's In all seriousness, I'd pick a 991S over a 997.2S - but what you are seeing is comparable pricing for a late model 2011/2012 997.2S or GTS vs a base 2012 or so 991. They are different animals and the newer car is definitely more modern and GT like. The older one, Spartan, twitchier, sportier. One guy just posed that question on both forums then drove both and sold his 991 base for a 997.2S. Some people thought he was nuts. Maybe he was but he liked the 997.2S better. Newer is generally better but I'd keep my 997.2S vs a base 991 and I'd take a 993 over a 996 etc.
Coming from a guy who doesn't own my own island, I would sell the 250 GTO and buy an Island in the Carribean😉
Old 12-24-2014, 10:09 AM
sebis
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
Very competent for sure, but 2.5 seconds is quite a bit for one lap though.
If I am not mistaken that 7GT3 had track ready tires, that must account for some of the difference. In addition, the 991 had steel brakes vs PCCB on the GT3. This before we even account for the difference in engine power.
Old 12-24-2014, 11:21 AM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by sebis
If I am not mistaken that 7GT3 had track ready tires, that must account for some of the difference. In addition, the 991 had steel brakes vs PCCB on the GT3. This before we even account for the difference in engine power.
Granted. Even with a track ready 991s. Do you really think it stands a chance? Even if it comes within 1.5 seconds it would still be at least half a football field behind.
Old 12-24-2014, 04:34 PM
wwspeeds
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I was in a very similar situation as you this past summer, as I was originally looking for a 997.2 C4S or 4GTS with MT, I searched for months, test drove several C4S's. I loved that car, I loved the ergonomic and infotainment improvements (and interior updates) over the 997.1. Perhaps most importantly, the intermediate shaft bearing (IMSB) was engineered out starting in 2009, with the arrival of the 997.2.

(I don't want this to start a flame / troll war -- I realize that the IMSB thing is blown out of proportion but let's be honest -- given the choice between an IMSB vs no IMSB, money withstanding, it would be silly to suggest it shouldn't matter. I mean, Porsche lost a class action lawsuit for goodness sake).

In terms of the MARKET:
Anyway, I also noticed that low mileage (i.e. < 20,000 mile) 997.2 C4S's were only about $15k less than 991 C4S's. The difference between 997.2 C2S vs 991 C2S was even smaller (as the C4S was just falling off the depreciation cliff). I believe the difference is about $10k now, between 997.2 C2S and 991 C4S. In terms of resale, the 997.2s have kept their values very well and are depreciating slowly. The 991 depreciation curve has yet to be seen.

In terms of the VEHICLES:
997.2 PROS: I agree with the experiences and sentiments of other RL posters -- the 997.2 is a bit more intimate, more mechanical, more twitchy even. The steering is more alive, it dances around in your hands, it's heavier at low speeds, it gives more feedback. I loved all those things. It felt very much a sports car, a thoroughbred straining against its reins.

991 PROS: A stabler, more refined ride, the body absorbs bumps and irregularities better, it feels more planted in corners, slow and at speed. Perhaps the dynamic engine mounts (on PASM equipped cars), helps control body motions as advertised. The chassis with its longer wheelbase seems much more composed. The cabin is noticeably quieter, with less engine noise intrusion. I have never tested a car with PDCC. I ended up getting a 991 C4S with Sport PASM, Sport Chrono, MT7, sport design kit (with front spoiler and ducktail) and sports exhaust. The interior is a little nicer than the 997.2's in terms of space, airiness, usability. In terms of materials it's close -- the leather in the 991 seems more durable and hard wearing, the perforations seem to collect less dust and grime. The base 991 C2 seemed a little blunt compared to the 997.2 C4S (MT, SC), but the base 991 C2 I test drove was bare bones, without sport chrono or PSE or PASM. Good solid car, but noticeably less sporty. In terms of technology, the 991 is obviously light years ahead. Bluetooth streaming, LCD on the dash, better lighting system, etc.

Ultimately I decided to get the 991 and pay the extra money. I DD the car and love every minute of it. I would have loved a 997.2 just as much I'm sure. But I was fortunate enough to be in a position to afford a 991 and decided its added refinement and luxuries were worth the money.

PS I have also test driven PDK 997s and 991s and the same comparisons and contrasts apply.

W
Old 12-28-2014, 08:27 AM
Cajun Martyni
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Great input so far. Let me ask another, more specific question. More clearly "apples-to-apples" in terms of cost, too. 2012 997 GTS vs 2012 991S? Again, this would be a regular but not daily driver. Goal is maximum fun per dollar with reasonable comfort. By calculation of best fun per dollar I mean least likely cost in terms of depreciation and repairs (beyond regular maintenance) for 3-4 years driving at 8,000-10,000 miles/year.
Old 12-28-2014, 09:47 AM
clembo
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Great input so far. Let me ask another, more specific question. More clearly "apples-to-apples" in terms of cost, too. 2012 997 GTS vs 2012 991S? Again, this would be a regular but not daily driver. Goal is maximum fun per dollar with reasonable comfort. By calculation of best fun per dollar I mean least likely cost in terms of depreciation and repairs (beyond regular maintenance) for 3-4 years driving at 8,000-10,000 miles/year.
Don't over complicate this decision. You are choosing between two really cool cars. I think that if you are trying to calculate fun per dollar and deprication, you are missing the point. If one of the two doesn't make you more excited, then don't get either - you can't try to make the purchase of a Porsche make sense, it usually doesn't.

Buy it because you feel an urge, then drive it for fun. Save the analytics for buying a washing machine.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:05 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Have you test driven both the 997.2 and 991?

Personal impressions?
Old 12-28-2014, 10:17 AM
z3mcoupe
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 98 Posts

I have a 2009 (997.2) targa 4 and test drove a 991 S (both Manual).

I was actually afraid I'd like the 991 more and I was nervous about driving it as I didn't need or want the temptation

The 991 was a big advancement in terms of comfort and NVH , very competent. The 3.8 engine was amazing above 6k rpm too where it zinged to the redline.

I think in the history of every car, the owners of the older model always rattle on about mechanical feel and more 'fun' and for me that still applies to the 997, but I feel the 991 is the better all round car and a better daily driver.

Having said that , I got back into my 997 and I was perfectly happy If you are that much on the fence I think you'll be happy with either. What a great conundrum to have!

Happy New Year Renners!
Old 12-28-2014, 12:32 PM
wwspeeds
Advanced

I was looking hard at a 997.1 4GTS, but the available vehicles were limited because I did not want things like center-lock wheels and alcantara seating surfaces, wheel and shift ****. I do not know how those surfaces will wear, but I would guess that they would not last as long as the perforated leather surfaces. I wanted things like heated and ventilated seats (the latter of which could not be optioned with the alcantara surfaces). While I love driving, I also make long drives in the 911 as well, so I wanted a nice sound system and bluetooth streaming, 14 way adjustable seats, etc.

I liked the idea of the mechanical improvements of the GTS over the 997.2 C4S, but I was unable to test drive it because the closest 4GTS with a 6MT was thousands of miles away. In fact, the car I was looking at was in Livermore CA (whereas I was located in Pittsburgh PA).

I think the best way to compare the two is to DRIVE them both. Finding a GTS to test drive might be a tall order, but a 997.2 S is not hard to find -- the interior and mechanicals are 95% of what a GTS is. And drive a 991S. Both awesome cars, but there are palpable differences in ride/handling character and amenities. I would agree with the posters about trying to NOT worry about the depreciation. Its like trying to figure out which terrible investment decision is worse --- the focus should be on the gain, the experience -- rather than the few thousand dollar potential difference in resale.

W
Old 12-28-2014, 12:32 PM
wwspeeds
Advanced

correction: 997.2 4GTS. typo.
Old 12-28-2014, 02:34 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

There is such good info both here and on the 997 side that it seems like deciding between the two (997 GTS v 991) would be impossible. This is just a thought but maybe you (OP) should look inward. That is, how do you feel about what you get from a mechanical, luxury, driving experience, etc. from each. (And also, I hate to say it, but how do you feel about the looks of the 997 v. the 991 - for some that is important.) Of course the 991 is the more refined, advanced car but the 996 and 997 are more refined than the 964 and 993 and look how people regard those older models. Really, buy the car that excites you the most (for whatever reason) and you will be happy with your decision. If depreciation is a concern over the next three to four years look at it this way, both the 997 and 991 will fall in value and I can't believe that the spread will kill you in comparison to being happy with the car you are driving for that period of time. Oh, and if the 911 goes FI then maybe, just maybe those less advanced, less refined NA 997s and 991.1s might hold their value a little better than you think.

Quick Reply: 991 vs. 997.2